What on earth can I do???

tcamper1963

I found that my blood glucose was better eating early and late, the closer to 12 hours apart the better. I do not eat at other times, and usually drink only water - I have coffee with cream once or twice a day, usually when cooking.
I eat a lot of salad and stir fry or roasted veges, no dense carbs - no legumes other than a small serving of peas or funner/french beans, or bean sprouts
Thank you ... I can see I need to be more scientific measuring carbs and blood sugars...

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wanted to say hello and well done on losing the weight and keeping it off.

My belief is that once you are a diabetic that you will always be sensitive or intolerant of carbs. I think of myself as being extremely intolerant/allergic to carbs. I miss them- every day but as someone with an allergy I have to choose between health and my desire for carbs. I'm a long way from a health BMI so I'm envious of that- but I keep very low carb- less than 20 grams a day and my blood sugar levels are well within the normal range.

I hope after a few more years to be able to increase my carbs to maybe 30 -50 grams per day but I will be testing rigorously and am not contemplating that for a few more years.

Good luck.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tcamper1963 - I could well be speculating here, but I could wonder whether, despite your mega cycling (a big well done on that!), you may have been hitting your body with more carbs than you might have been used to in UK, and your body could have become accustomed to it, and is clinging.

I'm also in SE Asia at the moment. I've been here around 6 weeks, with another 6 to go. We dine out every night, are eating local dishes, and to date my noodle consumption is zero, and my rice consumption, probably amounts to 2 tablespoons from a couple of forkfuls of sampling from my OH's plates.

I know I am picking up sugar in many dishes, because the Thai/SE Asian way of cooking is to combine hot, sweet sour and spice into their dishes.

In your shoes, I might try, maybe a week of very low carb, which for me would focus on meat and eggs, but clearly for you it could be eggs (apologies if I missed you don't eat those), and maybe soya based produce, like tofu? (I'm also gluten free aand avoid all soy based produce where I can, which is my challenge here of course - all that soy sauce).

If you go for a week, say of very low carb, if your body is clinging to high numbers, because of past adventures, it could well "give in" in that time, and your numbers might notch down. If not, then I would be thinking a trip to the Doc, for some bloods to try to identify what's going on.

I imagine your Vit D will be OK after your trip. You don't say how long you were away, but I'm thinking to pack in 1300km cycling, it would be more than a few days!

In UK, I supplement my Vit D, with a combination of D3/K2-Mk7 and got my levels up nicely. Last year I stopped the supplement before coming away and was surprised to find that despite all this fabulous sunshine, my levels stayed static. I have done the same again this year.

It's a tricky one, and I hope you find a simple solution. Your dietary choices, to my inexperienced (of vegetarianism) do seem to cut down the options a bit, but if those are your choices, then I'm sure there will be a way around it.

It'll be good to hear how you get along.

tcamper1963

@tcamper1963 - I could well be speculating here, but I could wonder whether, despite your mega cycling (a big well done on that!), you may have been hitting your body with more carbs than you might have been used to in UK, and your body could have become accustomed to it, and is clinging.

I'm also in SE Asia at the moment. I've been here around 6 weeks, with another 6 to go. We dine out every night, are eating local dishes, and to date my noodle consumption is zero, and my rice consumption, probably amounts to 2 tablespoons from a couple of forkfuls of sampling from my OH's plates.

I know I am picking up sugar in many dishes, because the Thai/SE Asian way of cooking is to combine hot, sweet sour and spice into their dishes.

In your shoes, I might try, maybe a week of very low carb, which for me would focus on meat and eggs, but clearly for you it could be eggs (apologies if I missed you don't eat those), and maybe soya based produce, like tofu? (I'm also gluten free aand avoid all soy based produce where I can, which is my challenge here of course - all that soy sauce).

If you go for a week, say of very low carb, if your body is clinging to high numbers, because of past adventures, it could well "give in" in that time, and your numbers might notch down. If not, then I would be thinking a trip to the Doc, for some bloods to try to identify what's going on.

I imagine your Vit D will be OK after your trip. You don't say how long you were away, but I'm thinking to pack in 1300km cycling, it would be more than a few days!

In UK, I supplement my Vit D, with a combination of D3/K2-Mk7 and got my levels up nicely. Last year I stopped the supplement before coming away and was surprised to find that despite all this fabulous sunshine, my levels stayed static. I have done the same again this year.

It's a tricky one, and I hope you find a simple solution. Your dietary choices, to my inexperienced (of vegetarianism) do seem to cut down the options a bit, but if those are your choices, then I'm sure there will be a way around it.

It'll be good to hear how you get along.

Good morning,

Thanks for that, I was away cycling for 4 weeks and yes I ate local dishes on the whole, and white rice was a main feature. I did still fast until about 3pm. I also ate the rice noodles. So I will try a week of very low carb as you suggested.

Bed time glucose was 9.8 and on waking 10 hours later it is 8.1.

I haven't had such high readings before. So I am concerned. For this week I will go back to eating meat and as you say if my levels have not reduced to pre-diabetic levels then a request to have my HBAC1 tested again would be the next step.

tcamper1963

I just wanted to say hello and well done on losing the weight and keeping it off.

My belief is that once you are a diabetic that you will always be sensitive or intolerant of carbs. I think of myself as being extremely intolerant/allergic to carbs. I miss them- every day but as someone with an allergy I have to choose between health and my desire for carbs. I'm a long way from a health BMI so I'm envious of that- but I keep very low carb- less than 20 grams a day and my blood sugar levels are well within the normal range.

I hope after a few more years to be able to increase my carbs to maybe 30 -50 grams per day but I will be testing rigorously and am not contemplating that for a few more years.

Good luck.
Oh yes I totally agree...I so miss the carbs!! In fact I love eating carbs...but as you say there is a choice to be made and I would prefer to live longer...

20g a day...my word well done. It really is a big effort to have only 20g of carbs a day.

Keep going....and thank you for your reply

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning,

Thanks for that, I was away cycling for 4 weeks and yes I ate local dishes on the whole, and white rice was a main feature. I did still fast until about 3pm. I also ate the rice noodles. So I will try a week of very low carb as you suggested.

Bed time glucose was 9.8 and on waking 10 hours later it is 8.1.

I haven't had such high readings before. So I am concerned. For this week I will go back to eating meat and as you say if my levels have not reduced to pre-diabetic levels then a request to have my HBAC1 tested again would be the next step.

I'd say, if you need to go back that you ask for an A1c, but also a full blood panel, including vitamins, minerals and thyroid.

Is it fair to assume you have not recently started on any meds, such as statins?

Let us know how you get along.

tcamper1963

I'd say, if you need to go back that you ask for an A1c, but also a full blood panel, including vitamins, minerals and thyroid.

Is it fair to assume you have not recently started on any meds, such as statins?

Let us know how you get along.

Thank you, I will go back and request AC1 again. I am not on any meds and my tricyclerides reduced dramatically as soon as I began cutting the carbs that the doctor didn't mention statins this time!!!

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
While away, diet of high carbs your levels would have been taking a knocking, even with cycling. Unfortunately once a diabetic always a diabetic, it maybe that you became resisistant again hence why your glucose levels elevated again. Compounded with the carbs your eating, Granola is carbs in a bowl, treats x3 days a week one of your example of
A treat is a penguin/club bar. It's inevitably that your levels and A1c is creating up. Then banana butty on white bread.

technically back to basics and drop your carbs increase fats and meats become an omnivore again, then change again

Lehany73

Yes, Low Carb is the way. Try Cauliflower rice , really nice! Or instead of the Granola I use chopped seads and nuts, great with some greek yogurt and berries for breakfast. Any form of cereal is terrible for my BG! I thought i was being nice and Healthy eating a bowl of Bran flakes, my readings would go up to 22!