Ketones and exercise

Diabet1c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, I've recently started exercising again after a very long time so it's like starting all over again.. but everytime I exercise my ketones start to creep up. Im aware exercise can cause ketones under certain circumstances but as far as I know, I'm doing everything right.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this or has any tips?

Thanks!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there @Diabet1c curious to ask why you are testing for ketones ? Also what levels are you getting up to ?

I also exercise but never test and wouldn’t do so unless running high and feeling unwell.

Diabet1c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm testing because I'm feeling really unwell afterwards and turns out I actually do have ketones with levels of only around 8.3 ..
Hi there @Diabet1c curious to ask why you are testing for ketones ? Also what levels are you getting up to ?

I also exercise but never test and wouldn’t do so unless running high and feeling unwell.

Karen16

Hi
I have exercised for years but after a long run a year last October I ended up in hospital with ketoneacidosis. My sugar levels were fine so I didn't think to test for ketones and this was my first experience of ketoneacidosis. I had no reaccurance until just recently - it has probably happened 4 times in the last 2 months but I now recognise what the symptoms.

Nice to find someone else has experienced this

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya,

Have you been drinking enough during exercise? I find if I get dehydrated (through sweat etc) I sometimes get ketones even though my blood sugars remain normal.
What I have found over the years is that if I am doing intense exercise such as HIIT, Metafit or interval circuits my sugars jump up fairly fast and take a while to drop back down. When I do things that are more steady state like jogging or cycling etc my sugars tend to remain stable and just react more to the food I've eaten prior to the exercise. When I am weightlifting my sugar levels change depending on how heavy the weights are and how quickly I complete the session (If I do things like supersets/drop sets/high reps or just steady controlled sets).

I've found keeping a close eye on my blood sugars during and after the exercise plus making sure I drink enough fluids really helps, I've also tried to make sure whatever I eat beforehand is really well balanced so that it doesn't cause a big spike but gives me enough energy to perform!

Sorry if none of this makes sense, tried to explain as best as I could! Hope you manage to get it figured out, I know how annoying and disheartening it is but try to stay as positive as you can, you'll find a way to make it work for you eventually it's just trial and error unfortunately!!!
xx