Update on TidePool Loop

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
and implementing in conjunction with the FDA so its final approval should be obtainable. Initially with iPhone but later with Android. They are also working with Tandem's t:slim X2 as well. Might take another year or two but great news, they have been underway for around a year already.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chas C Yes, and working towards a future when the various devices (pumps, CGMs, phone apps) will each work with any of the others. If only we can get the costs down so anyone can use them if they wish to.
I had my annual Diabetes appointment today & there was significantly more optimism regarding getting the Dexcom funding from the NHS. No dates mentioned though..
Are there many others with the t:slim at your hospital? I'm the only one at mine.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Chas C
I had my annual Diabetes appointment today & there was significantly more optimism regarding getting the Dexcom funding from the NHS. No dates mentioned though..
Are there many others with the t:slim at your hospital? I'm the only one at mine.

I'm aware of three, one moved before me and then another the same day as me, could easily be more I'm not aware of. Funding is a big issue, if you have been self funding Dexcom as long as I have then its vertually impossible to meet the criteria, one option is to stop using it and move back to the old days. Hope you do get funding sorted. I can share my work on this front via a private message if it helps.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The conversation about Dexcom funding was of a general nature rather than about me specifically.
I've been self funding for over 5 years, but I don't see that as a reason for not getting NHS funding?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The conversation about Dexcom funding was of a general nature rather than about me specifically.
I've been self funding for over 5 years, but I don't see that as a reason for not getting NHS funding?

Ah well the good news for me is Hampshire support the G6 now, I'm treated in Dorset but live in Hampshire. I too have been self funding (over 8 yrs now) but working on he powers that be.

The to meet the current criteria you need to show you have no low BG awareness and that it causes you to need intervention from another person to treat your low BG, i.e. it goes too low for you to treat on your own. Sadly those of us who have the Dexcom would hardly ever get to this point and you get warned by the Dexcom in advance. So self funding to improve our management is self defeating for NHS funding.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah well the good news for me is Hampshire support the G6 now, I'm treated in Dorset but live in Hampshire. I too have been self funding (over 8 yrs now) but working on he powers that be.

The to meet the current criteria you need to show you have no low BG awareness and that it causes you to need intervention from another person to treat your low BG, i.e. it goes too low for you to treat on your own. Sadly those of us who have the Dexcom would hardly ever get to this point and you get warned by the Dexcom in advance. So self funding to improve our management is self defeating for NHS funding.

But can the NHS make that argument when you are using something they didn't fund?
When I came to make my case for a pump I was worried about this. I originally funded the pump because of some particularly unpleasant night time hypos which were the more frightening because I live alone. I admitted to the DSN that such hypos weren't now a problem because I had the Dexcom. She took the view that it wasn't relevant.
It was partly a case of being in the right place at the right time. They wanted someone with a G6 who would use the more advanced aspects of the pump & give them feedback. Which I was very happy to do.
I know I'm lucky that I now have a wonderful pro active diabetes team supporting me. It hasn't always been the case.