Plant based diet?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there are a few, yes - avocado and coconuts for example. But most of what people call “low carb veggies” are just low calorie. Veggie like cauliflower, zucchini and broccoli are around 70% carbs - not so low carb...

Not for me they aren’t. YMMV.
Your figures for carb content seems to be out of kilter with most nutrition sites on the web, such as
https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/vegetables-low-in-net-carbs.php

Most T2D find they need to avoid grains because of the starch content. Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) is also one to avoid

D

Deleted member 308541

Veggie like cauliflower, zucchini and broccoli are around 70% carbs - not so low carb...
Cauliflower has 5.3 grams carbs / 100 grams:

https://www.fatsecret.com.au/calories-nutrition/generic/cauliflower

Broccoli has 6.0 grams carbs / 100 grams:

https://www.fatsecret.com.au/calori...roccoli?portionid=59022&portionamount=100.000

Zucchini has 3.5 grams carbs / 100 grams:

https://www.fatsecret.com.au/calori...ucchini?portionid=59321&portionamount=100.000

They are low carb enough for me...

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="HSSS, post: 2217145, member: 480869"]Where are you getting those figures from?
Cauliflower is about 5g/100g carbs, courgette (zucchini ) 2%, broccoli 3%[/QUOTE]

Pretty much any nutritional source available???

100g of cauliflower has 5 total carbs (less 2 fiber per) 100g *weight*, not 5g/100g carbs as you state. 100g cauliflower also has approximately 25 calories total. 5 carbs x 4 calories per gram of carb = 20carbs per 25 calories = 20/25 = 80% carbs.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

100g of cauliflower has 5 total carbs (less 2 fiber per) 100g *weight*, not 5g/100g carbs as you state. 100g cauliflower also has approximately 25 calories total. 5 carbs x 4 calories per gram of carb = 20carbs per 25 calories = 20/25 = 80% carbs.

If 100g of cauliflower (weight) has 5g of carbs (weight) then how on earth is that 70%?? It is 5%.

Calories have nothing to do with it

edit low carb is about % of carbs by weight not % of calories from carbs. If this is how you’ve always worked it out you’re doing it differently to the rest of us.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it has been established, over many threads, that your response to carbs is not the norm compared to many of the experiences of the posters on this forum.

It has?? Well then I feel so special :)

(Despite the fact there is no evidence I really am...)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Um, again, low fat, low protein, low carb per 100g. I am referring to the percentage of calories.
what? what have calories got to do with it? I really dont know how you know how many carbs you are eating if you use your calculation.

when you eat 100g of cauliflower, for example, how many carbs do you put that down as?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

100g of cauliflower has 5 total carbs (less 2 fiber per) 100g
what? what have calories got to do with it? I really dont know how you know how many carbs you are eating if you use your calculation.

when you eat 100g of cauliflower, for example, how many carbs do you put that down as?

5 g carbs. What else would it be?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a 3.5 ounce or 100g portion of cauliflower has 5g of carbohydrate in it. I cant see how that can be looked at any other way.

100g of cauliflower has 20 calories. so I cant see where the 70% carbs for cauliflower idea comes from. Anyone else see the calculation?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If 100g of cauliflower (weight) has 5g of carbs (weight) then how on earth is that 70%?? It is 5%.

Calories have nothing to do with it

edit low carb is about % of carbs by weight not % of calories from carbs. If this is how you’ve always worked it out you’re doing it differently to the rest of us.

calories has everything to do with it. Are you really saying you believe cauliflower is 95% fat and protein?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a 3.5 ounce or 100g portion of cauliflower has 5g of carbohydrate in it. I cant see how that can be looked at any other way.

100g of cauliflower has 20 calories. so I cant see where the 70% carbs for cauliflower idea comes from. Anyone else see the calculation?

5 grams carbs x 4 calories per gram of carb = 20 calories. 20 calories from carbs/ 25 carbs = 80%.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
calories has everything to do with it. Are you really saying you believe cauliflower is 95% fat and protein?
cauliflower has 20 calories per 100g. that is all. Where do fats and protein come into it?

100g of cauliflower is zero fat and 3% protein

where are you getting your 70% from? how are you making the calculation?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so how can 5g of carbs, which equals 5% of carbs, be 70% carbs in that portion? The couliflower would have to have 70g of carbs in it to be 70% of 100g
To be fair I think what walking girl is doing is quoting % of calories from carbs - not % of carbs in the food by weight. However this is not how foods are classified as low carb or not as calories are not a factor.
If you eat 1 kilo of bread v 1 kilo of broccoli then your meter will confirm there are a lot more carbs in the bread. Therefore broccoli is the lower carb item. By weight.

We weigh food when making recipes not mess around with artificial constructs of calories. You don’t put 100 calories of butter into a recipe, you put 100 gram or whatever in there.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it mostly water! 5 % by weight carbs

calories have nothing to do with the macronutrient make up of food. It is a measure of energy. You are comparing apples with fruit bowls.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5 grams carbs x 4 calories per gram of carb = 20 calories. 20 calories from carbs/ 25 carbs = 80%.
It doesnt work like that. You dont subtract the carbs from the calories. They are two different calculations, each of which stands alone.

100g cauliflower is 25 cals = 25% of the total weight of the cauliflower is the amount of calories it contains.

100g of cauliflower is 5 carbs = 5% of the total weight of the cauliflower is the amount of carbs it contains.

these two figures have no relation to each other.

And there is no way that I can see how the carb value can become multiplies to 70% even using your calculation. The carb value doesnt change, no matter what happens. Neither does the calorie value.

who told you to do this calculation to produce 70%? and how are you working out how many carbs you are eating, and choosing low carb foods using your method?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I did. I knew I was having a loop in my late night thoughts. I have the same thoughts each day when I have to remind myself not to eat carbs... If only we could think things once and be done with them.. .

But it truly just occurred to me that most carbohydrates (especially high carbs) actually come from plant sources and I hadn't realized before, as silly as that sounds. One doesn't always connect the dots: sugar = sugarcane = grass = plant. Porridge = oats = grains = grass = plant. Chips = potatoes = (starchy) vegetable = plant. Plum = fruit = fruit tree = plant. Hummus = chickpeas = legume = plant. Bread = wheat = grain = grass = plant.

Of course there are low carb plants too fortunately. I'd miss plants if I had to avoid all if them!
green veg and most salad is a great way to increase the plants in your diet.