New here

Shaza 1

Hi I’m new here x I was diagnosed with type 2 on 19 Dec 2019 my fasting bloods were 7.6 and are now 5.5 I have also lost just over 2 stone I take metformin twice daily. The only real problem I am having is I constantly have yeast infections which my doctor keeps reeling me is part of diabetes and keeps prescribing me diflucon which costs me a fortune.
Sorry about the long post x

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Shaza, as a drug-managed diabetic you can get a form from the docs which exempts you from prescription fees - just get them to fill in their bit, complete the rest and post it off. :cat:

You can also get generic fluconazole tablets, which I believe is the active ingredient in most thrush treatments, over the counter or online, even Amazon I think, for a couple of quid a pop which might help tide you over until either you get an prescription exemption or you BS settles and the root cause disappears.

Obviously I am not a doctor, so if it continues then of course you should seek additional medical advice...

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Shaza, as a drug-managed diabetic you can get a form from the docs which exempts you from prescription fees - just get them to fill in their bit, complete the rest and post it off.
If in the UK, not sure where @Shaza 1 is though.

Shaza 1

If in the UK, not sure where @Shaza 1 is though.
I’m in Ireland and only my diabetic meds are free as thrush is not a long term illness it’s not free it cost me €10 for 1 tablet, I was just curious to know if anyone else suffers from this.
Thanks for the advice guys x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m in Ireland and only my diabetic meds are free as thrush is not a long term illness it’s not free it cost me €10 for 1 tablet, I was just curious to know if anyone else suffers from this.
Thanks for the advice guys x
Before I got my bg down the thrush was horrible. For me, a topical cream worked better than a pill, it's available over the counter where I live (I don't really understand your system of prescription fees).

Do you test your blood sugars after meals as well? Thrush goes together with diabetes so often because we start to pee glucose when we're above 10 or 11 mmol/l, and thrush loves glucose. If your after meal numbers are below 10 I'd expect the thrush to stay away in the near future.
If not, urge your doctor to look into other causes, all too often health problems are attributed to a pre-existing condition like diabetes.

Good luck, hope you'll be rid of it soon, thrush isn't fun at all!

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d echo that the pills aren’t always the most effective. Pessaries whilst messy are very effective along with creams. Also make sure any partner is treated or else it can ping pong back and forth. Men don’t always show symptoms so treat regardless.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m new here x I was diagnosed with type 2 on 19 Dec 2019 my fasting bloods were 7.6 and are now 5.5 I have also lost just over 2 stone I take metformin twice daily. The only real problem I am having is I constantly have yeast infections which my doctor keeps reeling me is part of diabetes and keeps prescribing me diflucon which costs me a fortune.
Sorry about the long post x
Your fasting bloods look good, but that could be the metformin taking your morning liver dump down a notch. What are your blood sugars like the rest of the day? Yeast infections thrive on sugar, so if you're high the rest of the time.... They'd be feasting. Do treat with a topical cream, and your partner too. If you're not already doing so, you might want to switch to cotton underwear (and sleeping in the buff to avoid things getting too humid).

If you have a meter, check before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. Could well be your blood sugars are high, and if they still are, that thrush will just keep on coming back, again and again. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this is a way to get them down.

Good luck!
Jo

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with the previous posters. You've done well so far with your fasting but if you don't regularly test before and after meals I really recommend that you start. Keeping the blood sugar levels low and stable is the best.

Good luck and welcome to the forum- it is an awesome place where people have knowledge and are keen to share.