Prediabetes. Expected it to go up?

johnken

Hi everyone,
Am still experimenting with food and BG meter.
This morning had muesli 45g, with milk, cream and peanut butter 2 cups of tea. ( no sugar)
Usual exercises before breakfast, added a very small amount extra.
BG before breakfast was 5.7
2 hours and 3 mins later 4.7

Yesterday tested 2 hours after same breakfast and was only up 1 point, tested again about an hour later still rising.
Dont understand this at all.

Tested again one hour later still only 4.9

Very different result to yesterday with same breakfast . Confused

1.30 new pre lunch test, 6.1 now hesitating about eating my winter veg soup, have already scoffed the cheese to go with it though and had quarter slice of toast, binned the rest
busy with calculator and book working out carbs in soup

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You could eat that breakfast a thousand times and have a thousand different readings (well obviously you wouldnt have a thousand different readings BUT you get my point!)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
muesli 45g

So that's 35gms of carbohydrate.
2 hours and 3 mins later 4.7
tested again about an hour later still rising.
Tested again one hour later still only 4.9
Very different result to yesterday with same breakfast . Confused

If you are getting readings of 4.7 and 4.9 two hours after eating, what's the problem. I would not even describe that as pre-diabetic. Incidentally the two readings aren't so very different.

Diabetes UK say readings should be accurate within 15%, so for the same BG you could have had readings of 4.7 or 4.9 and still be within accuracy required.

Diabetes UK also say up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating is normal.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
We are all different in how we process carbs, but that breakfast would make my BG rise (most of the time).
However an almost zero carb breakfast such as Boiled eggs always either makes no difference or else makes my BG drop (if my Dawn Phenomenon has been working).