Type 2 and now on ACE inhibitor

Mindles

Hi all

I have white coat syndrome and I’m not afraid to admit it lol!!! Anyhow doc has now put me on Ramipril low dose of 1.25. Initially i did not want to take it but finally did last night as I know it’s only to help me as my BP was slightly higher last time so she said it’s a maintenance dose ...anyone else on this for the same reason?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I too have ‘white coat syndrome’ and am on Ramipril. My GP recognises that my readings are higher at medical appointments and accepts my readings from home instead. For planned appts I take a reading every day leading up to my appt and my GP records an average of those readings. If I was in your position I would invest in a home BP machine and check your readings before starting on the meds, but I think you should run this passed your GP first.

Mindles

Hi there, I too have ‘white coat syndrome’ and am on Ramipril. My GP recognises that my readings are higher at medical appointments and accepts my readings from home instead. For planned appts I take a reading every day leading up to my appt and my GP records an average of those readings. If I was in your position I would invest in a home BP machine and check your readings before starting on the meds, but I think you should run this passed your GP first.

Thank you..how do you get on with Ramipril? ...so many side effects and it’s scares me!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you..how do you get on with Ramipril? ...so many side effects and it’s scares me!
I’ve never had a problem with it luckily. The most common side effect I gather is a dry cough.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What dose are you on? I’m hoping a low dose will have barel6 any side effects!
I’m currently on 6.25 mg. I was on that and another BP med when I was first diagnosed type 2 but was able to stop that one after nine months of low carb diet which resulted in a shed load of weight loss.

Mindles

I’m currently on 6.25 mg. I was on that and another BP med when I was first diagnosed type 2 but was able to stop that one after nine months of low carb diet which resulted in a shed load of weight loss.

Im on 1.25 so just a low dose but starting slimming world next week somnolent with more weight loss I’ll be able to get my A1C back down again and in turn my BP. I had a monitor on for 12 hrs which was ok but it went wrong late in the day So taken an overall reading hence the ACE low dose. Seems to have lots of benefits so I’ll be guided by them...back in a week for ECG Kidney tests and BP check. Ultimate goal is everything reduces so meds can be decreased x

Reactions: Rachox

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im on 1.25 so just a low dose but starting slimming world next week somnolent with more weight loss I’ll be able to get my A1C back down again and in turn my BP. I had a monitor on for 12 hrs which was ok but it went wrong late in the day So taken an overall reading hence the ACE low dose. Seems to have lots of benefits so I’ll be guided by them...back in a week for ECG Kidney tests and BP check. Ultimate goal is everything reduces so meds can be decreased x
Be very careful with slimming world. They push “free” foods in the for of carbs that will do your blood glucose levels and weight loss no favours at all as a type 2.

Have you considered low carb as an alternative that works really well for type 2. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge so they can reduce medication accordingly. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around. Low carb is endorsed by the NHS and the ADA as an effective method of control, even if the practice staff don’t realise that yet.

Mindles

Last December I was also put on 1.25mg ramipril per day along with another new one called dapaglifzosin(bet that's spelt wrong) and didn't have much idea why.
I think the nurse said to help flush out the kidneys of salt and sugar which didn't quite ring accurate, so upon searching the net, I could have chronic kidney disease CKD etc etc There were all sorts of reasons for having it prescribed and I'm still none the wiser. My local barber tells me he's also on it for high blood pressure, hence that confused me a bit more.
Go figure. :p

Thank you for replying , it’s amazing isn’t it..
Do,you feel ok on the Ramipril?

Mindles

Be very careful with slimming world. They push “free” foods in the for of carbs that will do your blood glucose levels and weight loss no favours at all as a type 2.

Have you considered low carb as an alternative that works really well for type 2. It is often the easiest and most sustainable form of weight loss. Other conditions often improve including but not limited to blood pressure, joint pain, inflammation, and despite the dire warnings of the last few decades it improves cholesterol for most, yes improves cholesterol. Some jump right on it, others edge their toes in a bit at a time.

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Excellent site and first port of call for many getting their head round low carb.

Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. It also helps keep an eye out that any meds are working appropriately not too much or too little. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Test before a meal and 2hrs later hoping for a rise of 2mmol or less. More and the carbs eaten were too many! Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS (other than metformin): if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds or insulin increasing meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc than your new carb intake requires. (This is not a concern for metformin on its own). Keep a very close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge so they can reduce medication accordingly. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around. Low carb is endorsed by the NHS and the ADA as an effective method of control, even if the practice staff don’t realise that yet.

Thanks for,replying, i must admit I’ve been thinking about sw and the carbs so will certainly read those links sent, appreciate your input

Reactions: HSSS

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying , it’s amazing isn’t it..
Do,you feel ok on the Ramipril?
I had to come off Rampril because I developed a dry cough - am now on Candasartan with no issues

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've lost 6st but hv no changes to thyroid meds, blood pressure or palpitations meds.
I'm suffering with multipal areas with excessive inflammation.
I will be asking about slow emptying of my small stomach. Full stomach backs up my meds in my gullet. Metformin too.
I feel I may hv bleeding inflammation in gullet from meds irritating gullet lining.
So it's either eat and no tablets or tablets but only eat once meds hv gone through stomach.
Its under investigation with my GI surgeon. I should know more on Thursday.
I hv inflammation in areas that don't see tablets so food should be the key. Or am I missing my antioxidant supplements R-ala?