What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My internet went down totally both phone and wi fi last night, just as I posted my last reply on this thread.

Fbg 7.9
Not going to worry bout that rise. Who cares...

That Storm Dennis at 5pm was Armageddon.

I love storms and lightning I have always said that. But this Storm Dennis was a whole new level of unbridled fury.

It had died down a bit from its absolute fury of my previous post. But then as i was replying to @DJC3 it was like an explosion, my garden was suddenly flattened by the wind, and I have trees (about 15-20 foot high) and bushes, then the wind whipped round and round from every direction bending all trees and bushes every which way.

My internet had gone for the phone as well by then.

I was petrified. And the driving rain. I realised my heart was pounding. I don't think i have ever had that before. When it subsided somewhat i went to make a cup of tea. But i couldnt do it. My kettle boils and puts the water direct in the cup...I didn't put the cup under it. Don't worry I was fine, i didnt get scalded. I couldn't do anything. So i went to bed and took a book to read, but I couldnt read the words.

Popeye laid on my chest in his I am guarding you position and he didn't go to sleep and i felt the vibrations of his purrs all night. I did sleep. He didn't. Each time i woke up he was watching me.

So i got up at 4 as usually and did this painting of a storm, but i needed the charcoal and graphite, and that was in the garage. So a torch and i went and got it. It is messy stuff which is why i dont do it in the house. But it was needed for my storm clouds.

So you can see the materials i used in the second photo. A kneadable eraser and a electric eraser, and other stuff.

And you can see my painting desk is one mess...I started this charcoal on top of everything else...

I was brushing the charcoal and graphite off, but that was making a bad mess on top of all my other stuff. Then i though, i bought a handheld rechargeable vacuum cleaner last week. Would that take the charcoal and graphite dust off...it did!!!

So then that is me vacuuming up the charcoal graphite painting. It worked. I will do some more indoors now.

View attachment 38712

View attachment 38713

I am still shaky from yesterday. Like i said before i am never going to get flooded in the way all those poor souls have been with rivers running through their houses. So i have a lot to be grateful for.

I need to get out of this place for a couple of hours. So I haven't checked out your posts, i might not be able to because this internet connection is more off that on. The light keeps trolling through from green to amber then stays on red then it tried so amber again, then switches to green for a second, then goes down to amber and red again. I need green to post this. So i have written this on a note pad app. If i cant do it here, i will do it when i go out, hopefully.

There is a new cafe opened last week, called the Golden Restuarant (I cannot spell that and spellcheck is down!). So if that is open i will try and post from there. There was a board outside saying English Breakfast £5.

The sky this morning and blue and sunny and totally belies yesterday.

Be safe
Take care
Hugs
Catch you later...

I am so very glad and relieved to see you here and to know you and Popeye are OK, at least from bodily harm (other than the raised BG and probably BP). Bless Popeye.
I like your charcoal and graphite painting very much. I like the forked lightning reaching down to the forked tree limbs. It is like a "nature" version of Michelangelo's painting of God's hand reaching out to man's.
The wind you described blowing round and round your garden sounds to me like a tornado. Most terrifying storms I have ever lived through; and like you I usually love thunderstorms and lightning.

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that didn't go as smoothly as I expected...the breakfast...

As I expected, however, the pub at the bottom was closed due to flooding, and the cake shop next to it where I can get breakfast.

So it was the new establishment, The Golden Restaurant for my £5 breakfast.

I had only seen it driving past, so I didn't know what nationality it was. Turned out it was Turkish, and the only English food was the all day English Breakfast.

Where can I put my walker I asked. Behind those seats he said.

My eyes opened wide when I saw what was behind the seats.

I sat down and texted my friend.

Me: Are you there? I have just walked into a den of iniquity...
Friend: What are you doing in a den of iniquity?
Me: I went into for a £5 English Breakfast...and behind the seats are hookah pipes...
Friend: How do you know what hookah pipes look like?
Me: I've seen pictures...
Friend: I'll send a link...
Me: These have bigger bases for liquid. They look fancy Middle Eastern things and they have fur fabric on the pipes. And the menu says the lemon mixture is £10 and the most expensive mixture is £17.
Friend: They must be e-hookah pipes...like the e-cigarettes. Take another look at them...
Batty old lady gets up with all the Turkish staff looking at her, rummages around the empty basket on her walker, shuts it and returns to her seat.
Friend: Did you manage a photograph?
Me: Absolutely not with everyone's eyes on me. But I cannot see where or how the e thingy whatever it is would attach to it.
Friend: (who is texting 'fun' facts by this time) An hour's smoking on one of those is the equivalent of 100 cigarettes. You can get all kinds of diseases like hepatitis, lung disease, increase your blood pressure (her list went on)...
Me: There is someone on the counter with some red terracotta pottery thingys and he is putting silver foil over them, and pricking holes in the foil in a star shape...
Friend: Hmmm...doesn't sound like e-hookahs
Me: How do you know?
Friend: I'm Dutch...Are you going back for another breakfast?
Me: NO!!!!!!

I am tired now. I go out for an English Breakfast, and I get the den of iniquity...I need my smelling salts...

Another cuppa tea, and I will play catch up with your posts...

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am tired now. I go out for an English Breakfast, and I get the den of iniquity...I need my smelling salts...
gennepher I'm sorry you didn't get your breakfast but I had to mark this as funny...blimey what adventures you have.

Reactions: Barb McD

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs That is a brilliant story. Thank you for posting it. I really enjoyed reading it. As a writer I always enjoy reading the work of other writers.
If lurking is what is best for you, then by all means lurk awhile, but I was very glad to see you back to post grandson's story, and I hope you will not lurk too long. I would miss you.

Reactions: jjraak and Barb McD

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that didn't go as smoothly as I expected...the breakfast...

As I expected, however, the pub at the bottom was closed due to flooding, and the cake shop next to it where I can get breakfast.

So it was the new establishment, The Golden Restaurant for my £5 breakfast.

I had only seen it driving past, so I didn't know what nationality it was. Turned out it was Turkish, and the only English food was the all day English Breakfast.

Where can I put my walker I asked. Behind those seats he said.

My eyes opened wide when I saw what was behind the seats.

I sat down and texted my friend.

Me: Are you there? I have just walked into a den of iniquity...
Friend: What are you doing in a den of iniquity?
Me: I went into for a £5 English Breakfast...and behind the seats are hookah pipes...
Friend: How do you know what hookah pipes look like?
Me: I've seen pictures...
Friend: I'll send a link...
Me: These have bigger bases for liquid. They look fancy Middle Eastern things and they have fur fabric on the pipes. And the menu says the lemon mixture is £10 and the most expensive mixture is £17.
Friend: They must be e-hookah pipes...like the e-cigarettes. Take another look at them...
Batty old lady gets up with all the Turkish staff looking at her, rummages around the empty basket on her walker, shuts it and returns to her seat.
Friend: Did you manage a photograph?
Me: Absolutely not with everyone's eyes on me. But I cannot see where or how the e thingy whatever it is would attach to it.
Friend: (who is texting 'fun' facts by this time) An hour's smoking on one of those is the equivalent of 100 cigarettes. You can get all kinds of diseases like hepatitis, lung disease, increase your blood pressure (her list went on)...
Me: There is someone on the counter with some red terracotta pottery thingys and he is putting silver foil over them, and pricking holes in the foil in a star shape...
Friend: Hmmm...doesn't sound like e-hookahs
Me: How do you know?
Friend: I'm Dutch...Are you going back for another breakfast?
Me: NO!!!!!!

Another cuppa tea, and I will play catch up with your posts...

Aha, the holes in the foil ...

IME that would not be tobacco or lemon mixture ...

I am glad you got out of there with your phone camera and brain cells intact! After all, Wales is NOT the Golden Horn and FWIH does not need foreign herbs to be magical.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 7.2 this morning after a horrible nightmare which was all my own fault because I had gone back to sleep after getting up to feed Kit-the-Kat. I know better than to do that but I had woken up way too early the first time.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your lovely messages
@DJC3 @PenguinMum @HarryBeau @jjraak @Muddy Cyclist @Krystyna23040 @SaskiaKC and anyone else I might have missed.

That storm tea time and another after was truly terrifying.
The only bonus was all the debris from the fence and quail hutch etc (although I had cleared enough of an escape route to get out of the gate) got blown the other way right up the driveway to the garage, and now the way out of the wrought iron gate is clear. So in every cloud is a silver lining...

Thank you for the compliments on my charcoal storm painting, and on my messy painting desk!!!!

Take care

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aha, the holes in the foil ...

IME that would not be tobacco or lemon mixture ...

I am glad you got out of there with your phone camera and brain cells intact! After all, Wales is NOT the Golden Horn and FWIH does not need foreign herbs to be magical.

There was a strange scent to the place @SaskiaKC .....

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was a strange scent to the place @SaskiaKC .....

I can well believe that! :)
I did cop out and edit my previous post -- I think it has been read and understood but I copped out ...
I just wonder if the Golden Restaurant's Full English breakfast includes a hash that has nothing to do with browned potatoes ... ;)

Barb McD

On a side note and totally relevant Iceland do cheesy hash browns, what a wonderful world this is.

Ballymena seems as windy, rainy, cold and stark as any other February. But stuck here in my ivory tower all I see are trees bending and clouds racing. Oh and my neighbour of 86 in her awesome Crash Bandicoot T-shirt, doing a Norn Ireland version of t’ai chi complete with bird noises (in conversation with birds of course).

On yet another note snow is forecast for later. The clouds say yes. My cynicism says “until I’m ankle deep, there is no snow”.

Lunchtime I scored a measly 3.6.

Barb McD

Thanks for the hug @ianspurs. Excellent game yesterday, Arsenal not so much. Fractious about tonight’s game *shivers*

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can well believe that! :)
I did cop out and edit my previous post -- I think it has been read and understood but I copped out ...
I just wonder if the Golden Restaurant's Full English breakfast includes a hash that has nothing to do with browned potatoes ... ;)

B3A3CA8B-CDC2-4F3A-848C-16CC462A1AA0.gif

12BCB999-FC74-4102-A0D9-10B2B4FED85C.gif

33D78D92-A95F-4003-B1E6-D60FFF4E7BD0.gif

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grandson on half term has a project to write a story including a list of words which are very unlikely to fit well. We have had a go this morning. I already have a stash of stories about the magic sweetshop I told our boys and my grandson so next part will be easy. I can't draw but here ya go:

Everyone must have heard of sweetworld. Aimee, Liam and Dan lived in the world we all know and love but they lived in a castle. Not your ordinary castle, it had a portal to an enchanted kingdom called sweetworld. Naturally, they went through the portal as many times as they could. Well, half term was awfully long and Sky, Netflix and all can only entertain so much.

Oh, you may need to know why they were living in a castle. Liam was King of our world but he needed a break from mad bad and dangerous to know Boris and his evil dragon Dom. Dom looked so much like Gollum and they had never been seen in the same room - odd that. Aimee was naturally a Princess and Dan was a Prince in our world. Queen Bella actually ruled the roost but she stayed home looking after baby Moana when the other three went into Sweetworld. The first time they ever went into sweetworld they were playing hide and seek in their castle. Wardrobes are the usual way in obviously and the best ones come from a place called Brexit. They are very expensive and poor quality but do have magical powers according to Boris and Dom and a strange man called Nigel.

To make friends with the evil wizzard Donald, who ruled the universe, Boris told everyone there would be six moons and eight suns in a place called The Red Wall. A potion called HS2 would make this happen. No one actually believed him but he just grinned, winked and pretended to be serious so folks went along with it. Everyone claimed Classic Dom was a wizzard who had a cunning plan but just in case anyone rumbled him he gave the talking plants he kept in a place called The Cabinet all their words.

Sweetworld had on the other hand had all the usual mod cons you will all have heard of. 40 hospitals, a gazillion new buses, magic money trees yadda, yadda. Liam knew he must make sweetworld more realistic and safer. He decided to urgently add some believable things. His first 100 days saw oven ready white flying lions to t5ake back to our world and defend the red wall. Next he needed to invent something to stop the talking cat called JRM Boris used to lie to King Liam’s old aunt Lizzie and make Boris talk to someone called Justin, Nick, Mishal and Martha who protected our world from the make believe virus. He also needed a spry to deal with the cabinet of talking plants. Suella and Pritti were the loudest and most poisonous but the Raab was by far the most hilarious.

Liam was really searching for a brave and brilliant knight from sweetworld to take back to our world to protect people from the evil, sly Gove monster and his plans for dangerous chicken meat to be fed to all children.

This half term we will hear about some of the adventures Liam, Aimee and Dan have in sweetworld. Of course, everyone knows this is all fake news and something called the MSM are poisoning all our lives. Now, on with the real fun.

A brilliant write up @ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a side note and totally relevant Iceland do cheesy hash browns, what a wonderful world this is.

Ballymena seems as windy, rainy, cold and stark as any other February. But stuck here in my ivory tower all I see are trees bending and clouds racing. Oh and my neighbour of 86 in her awesome Crash Bandicoot T-shirt, doing a Norn Ireland version of t’ai chi complete with bird noises (in conversation with birds of course).

On yet another note snow is forecast for later. The clouds say yes. My cynicism says “until I’m ankle deep, there is no snow”.

Lunchtime I scored a measly 3.6.

Good grief snow after Dennis is just a step too far. Wrap up warm,

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher the drawing of the storm captures it wonderfully. I’m not really sure what you got up to today but mabe you and Popeye should lie low for a while.
Thank you...
I am not very good at lying low @PenguinMum
Trouble seeks me out...
It always did...
But a hermit life sounds a very good idea...
Popeye and I are dozing on the couch...
I hope you are having a peaceful day...