What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone I have been having terrible insomnia again. Are there any insomniacs out there? what do you do to get to sleep? I only go to bed when tired which is very late around 1.30am but still can't sleep. And last night I finally feel asleep around 3.40am to then got out of bed around 11.40am. But love any tips.

Any way my meals for Yesterday

Full fat Greek Yoghurt with some mixed nuts about 6 in total almonds pistachios, cashews and small handful of craisins. Washed down with black coffee

Was hungry around 4 hours later so opened a tin of Brunswick Salmon in chili and olive oil had them on salada biscuits with butter and mint leaves.

Black plum

Dinner was

3 x Chicken tenderloins that I marinated in Greek yogurt and coated with almond and parmesan cheese cooked in the oven with olive oil and butter and mint leaves. Served with some carrots and broccoli.

A Maggi beer Burnt fig, honeycomb & caramel ice cream.
God that ice cream sounds good, are you a fellow Australian because I know Maggi beer is. Sounds like a nice day of eating. I struggle with anxiety, and sometimes insomnia. I find having and keeping to a regular sleep schedule help. Good sleep "hygiene" don't eat in bed, keep linen fresh and changed, don't watch TV in bed. Chamomile tea, and peppermint tea seem to calm and help me, but we are all different. Also if your dr gives the ok sometimes the "sleepy time" tea from celestial seasonings is good, or other sleepy time teas that contain valerian root . Just check interactions with any meds you are taking for the "sleepy time" teas.

mouseee

Morning!
Didn't post yesterday... but here is yesterdays food... and other stuff!
Busy, busy, busy as its half term and the house gets a proper clean as it doesnt get one in term time! Living room and kitchen floor tiles done... previous incumbent decided white tiles would be a good idea before we moved here... I beg to differ... both bathrooms scrubbed. Daughter has a friend over for a couple of nights so there was a sense of urgency!

Breakfast - coffee
Lunch- cheese toastie made with livlife bread.
Dinner- cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake with seeds sprinkled before baking for crunch. Not particularly LC

Husband bought loads of evil snacks when he went shopping as he stupidly went hungry. I was broken by the sight of the chocolate profiteroles and ate two. Not sure what happened but at 2 hours was only 7.8 only up just over two points.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Im a newly diagnosed T2 and its great to see Bacon is okay :)
My first BG test was 17.5 and now a week later it is 5.1 fasting and 6.0 2 hours after eating. Heres what I ate today :
Breakfast 10am : Tin Of Tuna Wraped in Iceberg Lettuce
Dinner 4pm : Salad consisting of Lettuce, Red Onion, Cucumber, Tomato, Tuna and Corned Beef
7pm Cup Of Tea no sugar and a tiny amount of full skimmed milk.
Even though my BG tests are in the normal range I feel like they are low ( weak, shakey, tired ) I am hoping this will soon pass and is my body adjusting to normal levels.
I am taking Glicazide 80mgs before both meals.
Got to find ideas for low carb snacks I think.
Welcome @RoscoeB78. That is quite an impressive change from 17.5 to 5s and 6s so massive congratulations to you for all the changes you have made. The good people here will help you with advice and offer tips on handling the issues which inevitably arise from changing lifestyle. Take care.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @RoscoeB78

Sounds like you’re doing very well with dropping your blood glucose. Regards feeling a bit weak and shaky, could well be your body adjusting but be sure to have enough salt with your food and you might want to think about upping the fat content of your meals a bit too.

Plenty of low carb snack ideas - small piece of cheese, a few nuts, pork scratchings, couple of slices of salami. Have you come across the dietdoctor.com website? Great for food ideas and also much useful information.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im a newly diagnosed T2 and its great to see Bacon is okay :)
My first BG test was 17.5 and now a week later it is 5.1 fasting and 6.0 2 hours after eating. Heres what I ate today :
Breakfast 10am : Tin Of Tuna Wraped in Iceberg Lettuce
Dinner 4pm : Salad consisting of Lettuce, Red Onion, Cucumber, Tomato, Tuna and Corned Beef
7pm Cup Of Tea no sugar and a tiny amount of full skimmed milk.
Even though my BG tests are in the normal range I feel like they are low ( weak, shakey, tired ) I am hoping this will soon pass and is my body adjusting to normal levels.
I am taking Glicazide 80mgs before both meals.
Got to find ideas for low carb snacks I think.

Those are some impressive changes Roscoe, well done.
The new lower levels are likely to make you feel weird until you get used to them, but please do keep checking your blood glucose every time you feel like that. Since you are on Gliclazide, which is a blood glucose lowering medication, there is a risk that the tablets (combined with your new lower carb eating) could take your blood glucose down into a hypo.

Did your nurse or doc explain to you what to do if that happens?
Are you carrying hypo treatment glucose in case it happens?
And if your bg gets to the point where it is consistently low enough, and your medication is pushing you into hypo territory, may I suggest that you go back to your doc to discuss reducing your medication?

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I am very excited about my breakfast prospects this morning.
We had a takeaway curry (chicken shashlik and some low carb veg sides on Sat night)
The deliciously succulent remnants are going to be my breakfast.
Curry for breakfast is a splendid start to the day.

I am also rather excited that my guts tolerated the veg sides very well (brinjal bhaji, onion bhaji and sag paneer), so am eating them again today, after a 2 day gap, to see if they are tolerated as well a second time.

If so, then does this hail a new era? One where the odd veg introduction doesn't set my guts to complaining? Or is this just the wonder of the curry spices working their magic, and a portion of non spiced veg will still kick things off? Will report back.
Very exciting!!!

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 18/02/2020
Breakfast: 69g greengage, 41g blueberries, 50g rolled oats, 165g full fat yoghurt. 5 white coffee 130ml milk between them

Lunch: Before lunch 3.9
Meal: 63g sprouted bread, 76g ricotta cheese full fat, 100g ham, 10g1 cucumber, 127g tomato, mustard, salt
1 hour 6.0
2 hour 6.6

First time measuring this specific bread, not happy, had to throw out a nearly full loaf. arghh

Snack: sugar free ginger ale

Dinner: 156g rump steak, 190g broccoli, 188g mushrooms, 1 tsp olive oil.

Only second time eating red meat, it was a small piece of steak, battled through my OCD and germs issues. Proud of myself. On the plus side got a new little good swiss diamond 18cm frypan, perfect for omelettes. Saved myself $120, the local store was having a sale. https://www.swissdiamond.com/products/detail/xd-nonstick-fry-pan-7-18cm

Edited for language by mod

Last edited by a moderator:

RoscoeB78

Those are some impressive changes Roscoe, well done.
The new lower levels are likely to make you feel weird until you get used to them, but please do keep checking your blood glucose every time you feel like that. Since you are on Gliclazide, which is a blood glucose lowering medication, there is a risk that the tablets (combined with your new lower carb eating) could take your blood glucose down into a hypo.

Did your nurse or doc explain to you what to do if that happens?
Are you carrying hypo treatment glucose in case it happens?
And if your bg gets to the point where it is consistently low enough, and your medication is pushing you into hypo territory, may I suggest that you go back to your doc to discuss reducing your medication?

Thanks for replying, I don't have any other medication and my Nurse never told me about what to do if it goes too low. I did eat a few crisps just to see the effect on my BG and it went up from 6.0 to 6.9 an hour after eating them. Thankyou very much for replying.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying, I don't have any other medication and my Nurse never told me about what to do if it goes too low. I did eat a few crisps just to see the effect on my BG and it went up from 6.0 to 6.9 an hour after eating them. Thankyou very much for replying.

glad I could help.
This link should give you some info on handling a hypo. Just in case...
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-a-hypo.html

My own personal experience of hypos is that I tend to over treat the dratted things (think shark-like feeding frenzy), which then causes an excessive bg spike afterwards! Lol

re my curry breakfast... was gorgeous. I think I could happily live on such foods every day for the next 50 years. So much more interesting than good ol’ boring plain stuff.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today 18/02/2020
Breakfast: 69g greengage, 41g blueberries, 50g rolled oats, 165g full fat yoghurt. 5 white coffee 130ml milk between them

Lunch: Before lunch 3.9
Meal: 63g sprouted bread, 76g ricotta cheese full fat, 100g ham, 10g1 cucumber, 127g tomato, mustard, salt
1 hour 6.0
2 hour 6.6

First time measuring this specific bread, not happy, had to throw out a nearly full loaf. arghh

Snack: sugar free ginger ale

Dinner: 156g rump steak, 190g broccoli, 188g mushrooms, 1 tsp olive oil.

Only second time eating red meat, it was a small piece of steak, battled through my OCD and germs issues. Proud of myself. On the plus side got a new little good swiss diamond 18cm frypan, perfect for omelettes. Saved myself $120, the local store was having a sale. https://www.swissdiamond.com/products/detail/xd-nonstick-fry-pan-7-18cm

Edited for language by mod

Nice frypan ! What a bargain !

Reactions: Quinn1066

Winnie-the-Pooh

Hello everyone I have been having terrible insomnia again. Are there any insomniacs out there? what do you do to get to sleep? I only go to bed when tired which is very late around 1.30am but still can't sleep. And last night I finally feel asleep around 3.40am to then got out of bed around 11.40am. But love any tips.

Any way my meals for Yesterday

Full fat Greek Yoghurt with some mixed nuts about 6 in total almonds pistachios, cashews and small handful of craisins. Washed down with black coffee

Was hungry around 4 hours later so opened a tin of Brunswick Salmon in chili and olive oil had them on salada biscuits with butter and mint leaves.

Black plum

Dinner was

3 x Chicken tenderloins that I marinated in Greek yogurt and coated with almond and parmesan cheese cooked in the oven with olive oil and butter and mint leaves. Served with some carrots and broccoli.

A Maggi beer Burnt fig, honeycomb & caramel ice cream.

Sorry to hear about insomnia. I have insomnia 2-3 nights a month on specific days. It’s very bad . But I have a great sleep on other days .

I don’t like herbal tea but I know chamomile helps if you like the taste . Also Valerian and Lavender tea help too . I think Chinese use Magnolia bark. You might also be able to research a combination of those .

Sadly I cannot drink herbal tea . Otherwise I would try these. Someone gave me “Borage” tea once and it was very effective but tasted horrible . I might be biased about taste because I only can drink Earl grey tea .

As for me, I reduce my coffee / black tea intake on those days , turn off the lights early , no phone or iPad in bed . Not even my favorite opera . My pink salt lamp and my own version of meditation ( thinking about bears playing near a cool spring and me cuddling them ) also help .

I drink hot water with lemon . Before diabetes , I would drink hot milk and honey . It did help.

Oh and as @ Quinn1066 said , check with your doctor for any interactions before you try those tea .

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Two meals today. Lunch was 5 small rashers streaky bacon, 2 fried eggs and some grated mozzarella. Cooked by me rather than the cafe near work as I was working from home this morning.

Dinner was beef short rib - another IP success.

9EC7E100-908C-453D-B55E-6F4FEB70DAF5.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No food until 3pm as our dog walk this morning turned into a bit of a marathon. A spaniel adopted us, it looked to be in good condition, had a collar but no tag. It took ages to locate its owner ( eventually some other dog walkers recognised it and pointed us in the direction of a workshop where it’s owner lived) by the time I’d got it back ( and made pointed comments about not putting a tag and phone number on its collar - it apparently escapes quite often) I was lost. Mr C was on his way to where I’d left the car with the spare lead so we could have taken the errant pooch to a vet to see if it was microchipped. Very cold and wet by the time I got home.
Prawns with cocktail sauce, few olives and a bit of cheese, plus lots of coffee.
D: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-salmon-pesto-spinach which I’ve made a few times before and always enjoyed.
Dennis, Mr C and I are now cosy in front of the fire for the evening.

@shelley262 are you still safe from floodwater? I heard it was set to rise again in your neck of the woods

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
May or not have been an OMAD today. I ate once but does CWC count as a meal? Manged 800 mls black tea without sweetener first thing then another with sweetener - 1 is enough. Will try sencha tea tomorrow without sweetener. CWC with cinnamon around midday. Meal was salmon and avocado salad with chia and flaxseeds. First TWAM was around 4.30. I can eat this way endlessly but should I?. Great for weight loss/control, resting pulse etc but going nowhere with bg control. Kind of a rock and a hard place as staying LC but going away from the 1 salad a day route gives very little pleasure. Going to try the DD crispy base omelette tomorrow - with salad obviously. Found the food warehouse in Thetord today whilst pricing up kitchens and sheds.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 we are up a steep hill above the Severn thankfully- also the barriers on this side of the town and river have now been built up to 10 foot high with additional supporting buttresses added today so hoping this side ‘safe’ but the old Thomas Telford bridge which connects Bewdley town with the rest of Bewdley and is the main road to the nearest big town has recently been closed to pedestrians as well as the cars - it’s been closed to cars since Saturday night - effectively part cutting us off. In addition the temporary flood barriers on the other side of the town are predicted to be breached overnight so evacuations are going on this evening! Plus it’s still lashing it down! Feel so sorry for my community and all those others out there affected by floods.
We went higher up the valley on our walk this morning well above the river - but the view down of the floods was shocking - couldn’t work out where the River should have been it has gone everywhere. Crossing fingers the barriers hold tonight!
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and half a toasted chaffle
Dinner two lamb chops on bed of buttered red cabbage with glass of red wine followed by lc DD raspberry brownie with yoghurt
Later a few walnuts and square of 95% chocolate with decaf coffee and my usual lacto free whole milk.
Supposed to be on caring and cleaning duties in morning but looking very difficult with roads closed etc so have postponed for a day and hoping to take opportunity of a hike again it’s muddy and wet in forest above our home but it’s well up above the River Severn! Roll on the spring.......

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had 3 cups of tea this morning before going to the shops with Neil. Meant to get main shopping in Co-op but they only had one working trolley for attaching to a wheelchair and that has disappeared (possibly been moved to Co-op's new - smaller - store in town centre which is completely inaccessible for me). Just had to get the minimum with a basket on my knees. We have to go to the Co-op because they are the only shop selling the kind of soya milk that Neil can cope with. So then we had to go to Tesco. Luckily their one and only wheelchair trolley was available (after Neil had emptied stock that one of the employees had left in it into the other, broken wheelchair trolley).

Weather here has not been as bad as in the rest of Britain - no more windy than usual and not even as wet as usual. We used to say that we would be able to export water to the rest of the country when they had hosepipe bans, but these last couple of years, even our lochs have begun to run dry. We even had a hosepipe ban threatened in 2019. Thing is, we can cope with a whole lot more wind and rain. We have lots of land sloping straight down to the sea and old fashioned drainage ditches to take the run off and many of our buildings are low and reasonably aero-dynamic. Building regs (I'm told) are also a lot stricter than, for example, in England. Other water runs into our lochs to supply water to the villages and/or just sit on the moor. So, I feel so sorry for those who have suffered from the wind and rain and the floods. I hope everyone keeps safe and well and that their communities don't suffer too much damage.

Food, when we came back from shopping - around noon - was 5 mini smoked haddock cakes (made with celeriac and some green veg and some egg to hold them together) and scrambled eggs. I did take a pic, but I use an old-fashioned digital camera and I couldn't get it to download. Couldn't even get the card out to use a card reader - my hands aren't strong enough.

This evening - 6.30 - was some more of the lamb hotpot I made a few days ago.

I am beginning to think that when I have breakfast, I can't get through the day without getting very hungry, as I could when I wasn't having breakfast. But I also find that, if I don't eat fairly early on, my BG rises ridiculously. It's a bit of a cleft stick really. The alternative is to up insulin levels, of course, but I'd rather not.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we are up a steep hill above the Severn thankfully- also the barriers on this side of the town and river have now been built up to 10 foot high with additional supporting buttresses added today so hoping this side ‘safe’ but the old Thomas Telford bridge which connects Bewdley town with the rest of Bewdley and is the main road to the nearest big town has recently been closed to pedestrians as well as the cars - it’s been closed to cars since Saturday night - effectively part cutting us off. In addition the temporary flood barriers on the other side of the town are predicted to be breached overnight so evacuations are going on this evening! Plus it’s still lashing it down! Feel so sorry for my community and all those others out there affected by floods.

Stay safe @shelley262

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, snags, tomatoes.
Lunch: Yabbies fresh caught from the dam which is now full, cooked over gidyea coals in the fire pit.
Dwe01us.gif

Dinner: Pork chops, veggies, pan juice gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, black billy tea no sugars, water.