Bread

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been eating bergen bread for a number of years but for some reason it doesn't taste like it did , unless its me, any recommendations for a different make of bread. Cheers.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi-Lo works for me. I actually like it rather than endure it. 5g a slice, I think 15% as opposed to 50%ish for normal bread.

RoscoeB78

I used to really love bread. Now I use Lettuce leaves to make sandwiches. Ive read that bread made with Almond Flour instead of White Flour has very little to zero carbs, the recipe is on google, I'm definitely going to give it a go soon.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@RoscoeB78 , hello. I agree with you about the lettuce leaves!! I have just made roast chicken sandwiches with grated cheese, mayonnaise, and a little tomato using Romaine lettuce leaves instead of bread. They were delicious!

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been making my own using quinoa and chia both soaked overnight. No idea how many carbs in a slice. Recipe:-
Quinoa and chia bread
MAKES 1 LOAF INGREDIENTS:

2 cups quinoa 3/4 cup chia seeds 1/2 cup mixed pumpkin, sunflower & linseeds 3 tbsp lemon Juice 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 60 ml extra virgin olive oil

METHOD:

Step 1: The night before you plan on baking the bread you need to soak the quinoa & chia seeds. Measure out the quinoa and chia seeds and place in two separate bowls. Soak the chia seeds and quinoa in one cup of water each and place both in the fridge overnight.

Step 2: Preheat the oven to 160°C. In a blender, add all ingredients other than the mixed seeds. Blend (I put 1/2 in my nutribullet and 1/2 in a my old food processor) until the mixture is smooth, but you can still see lots of whole quinoa. (It is very important not to over blend as you will get a very sticky bread!). Then add the mixed seeds. Pour the mixture into a bread tin lined with parchment paper .(I used silicon loaf tin) Bake for 70 minutes (I do 90 mins and it is not sticky)
When baked I slice and freeze taking out slices as I want them.
This bread is best toasted.

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been eating bergen bread for a number of years but for some reason it doesn't taste like it did , unless its me, any recommendations for a different make of bread. Cheers.

mands do a very nice Irish Soda bread ,the receipe is also quite flexible on ingredients.Give it a try .
W j owen

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t eat bread at all now but when I did I used the burgen one and went off it a bit too, I replaced it with Tesco Finest high protein bread and found that much nicer - from memory I think it is about 9g carb a slice but you’re best to check as it’s a long time since I had it :)

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.

Asda has Hovis Protein bread (two types) and it is pretty good. About 10g of carbs per slice so I never have more than 2 slices a day.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you live in the right part of the country, Booths supermarkets do a low GI loaf. This is 39g of carb per 100g, which works out at about 9g a slice of the ready sliced bread. This quite a thick slice. I buy the unsliced version and slice it using an electric slicer to about 0.5 cm thickness. This means I can have two slices of lovely crisp toast for the price of about 9 g of carbs, which has no discernible effect on my blood sugar!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I no longer want to eat commercial bread as such but I occasionally bought Carb Zone (too expensive!!) or more recently, but not very often, LivLife, which tastes OK, but I find is a bit like chewing rubber bands.:eek:o_O

Instead I've sometimes made low carb breads using Sukrin and a couple of times with the weirdly named Ugg mixes, but if I fancy something bread-like I'll generally make my own stuff with various different nut meals/flours & seeds and/or various milled flax seed etc, mixes from Linwood. but IMO none of these are much like "real" bread.