Saving the planet

robin47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I have a link to this report please?

There is so much wrong with it I don't know where to start.

I am guessing precision fermentation is one of the man made processed fake foods companies?

https://www.rethinkx.com/food-and-agriculture-executive-summary

The RethinkX people are the same ones headed up by Tony Seba and they produced a great report a few years ago about the implications of the convergence of technologies that would disrupt all transport in the planet, leading to internal combustion engines becoming obsolete soon and electric and self driving cars likely to dominate the market.

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The problem with an all electric world is there is no way we can produce anything like enough energy to drive it.
We need thousands upon thousands of miles of cabling in the UK alone installing.
This of course will cause a huge spike in fossil fuel use to achieve it.
The production of copper cable and plastic alone will be huge.
Then there's almost every street in the land that will need digging up.
More fossil fuel use.
There are huge planning and logistics problems involved too tearing up remote villages and city and town centres and urban environments and figuring out where millions of people will actually be able to charge up their batteries.
When to charge up too because if everyone charged up at a peak time the whole system would collapse.
The UK produces 1% of global emissions while Japan are building 25 new coal fired power stations .... is it worth it?
The batteries need masses of lithium from unstable and unfriendly countries .... more war?
China has lakes of battery manufacture waste so big you can stand on one shore of these man made toxic oceans and not see the far shore ..... no one has a clue what to do about these **** holes and they are starting to leech into the ground and water supply.
There are no easy solutions to mostly imaginary problems.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are we as individuals helping to save the planet. Has anyone here cut down on the amount of meat you eat or given it up altogether. We are told we need to cut down and have two or three days a week that are meat free.. difficult for the real meat lovers I know but none of us will die because of a couple of days without meat... if we do not cut down on our meat consumption the government will either tax it or it will rocket in price which could happen anyway after the Brexit transition period . Many people could welcome not having to buy as much or no meat at all as it is probably the most expensive part of our food bill. Some here have a very tight budget and have said they do find the low carb diet with meat expensive for them so they probably do not eat much of it anyway
I think most will agree the planet is in a bad state with pollution, the mountains of plastic waste and the decline and even extinction of wild life including sea life, all things that were never anticipated which have now got so bad it will be difficult to remedy all of it so we all need to do our bit and if eating less meat helps then that is a simple thing we can all do along with using less non biodegradable plastics and using more environmentally friendly cleaning methods for our homes by using less chemical cleaners which I am trying to do if we care about the planets future
I have recently had a new great grandson and I hope that he and all other children everywhere will be able to grow up in a world that is far better than it is now but it does need our help to make it better and if farmers can cut down on the cattle they have and grow more crops to feed us then hopefully that will be a step in the right direction which can only be good news

Hi,

Back in the olden daze.. My mum still remembers them. It's easy with the packaging. Re use containers & get thee to a butcher that cuts to order. Maybe save on food waste too?
Same with cheese.
Oh, sweets. Long before I noticed them in shops just before I was diagnosed as a kid. They were weighed & decanted in to bags?
"Would you like a jelly baby?" Said Doctor Who. A simple flip top reusable what's it or one of the resealble similar to keeping natural dog treats in. Pocket sized too!
Dog treats. See above.? Dog food, refer to butcher. Do we still have butchers? Nothing can be wasted with man's best friend..

Cut yer own fresh salad. Don't let it biodegrade in a bag after some "minimum wager" has removed the task of cutting it up, thus increasing the price of fruit too.!

Once upon a time even I remember glass milk bottles? Prior to that folk had thier milk churn/urn things washed out & replenished...?

"Always Coca-Cola?" Always a reusable receptical to carry it in. "Same great taste.!"
Go to "Starbucks" & take a flask. Not much to ask. Oddly, I see a fair few folk on the bus in the morning with their own mug or Thermos.

Lemons, apparently not just for G&T.. They clean stuff too?

Yep, I do seem to have mentioned a fair few carbs. Cut back on a lot of that stuff a while back.

Libres & strips. Just like 1976 I'm thinking of the old Jedi order of just "using the force."
Insulin, I'm doing my "bit." Still haven't perfected the "art" like Tom & Barbra in the "Good life." But I'm working on it.. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JTL
D

Deleted member 308541

The bowling club I am a member of, has recently installed seventy plus solar panels, inverters and batteries to be nearly self sufficient with electricity.

Lighting and cooking fans, refrigeration running twenty four hours a day are the main reason for the installation,, plus the club was running at a loss from bad management at board level a couple of years ago.

When the club gets a bit more financially secure, more panels will go up on the roof and the power generated will be sold onto the national grid.

99uKQNq.jpg

https://earth.google.com/web/@-24.8...AIWqOYm_YCmNAKhJCdXJuZXR0IEJvd2xzIENsdWIYAiAB

Edit: Added Google Earth link.

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Hi,

Back in the olden daze.. My mum still remembers them. It's easy with the packaging. Re use containers & get thee to a butcher that cuts to order. Maybe save on food waste too?
Same with cheese.
Oh, sweets. Long before I noticed them in shops befor I was diagnosed as a kid. They were weighed & decanted in to bags?
"Would you like a jelly baby?" Said Doctor Who. A simple flip top reusable what's it or one of the resealble similar to keeping natural dog treats in. Pocket sized too!
Dog treats. See above.? Dog food, refer to butcher. Do we still have butchers? Nothing can be wasted with man's best friend..

Cut yer own fresh salad. Don't let it biodegrade in a bag after some "minimum wager" has removed the task of cutting it up, thus increasing the price of fruit too.!

Once upon a time even I remember glass milk bottles? Prior to that folk had thier milk churn/urn things washed out & replenished...?

"Always Coca-Cola?" Always a reusable receptical to carry it in. "Same great taste.!"
Go to "Starbucks" & take a flask. Not much to ask. Oddly, I see a fair few folk on the bus in the morning with their own mug or Thermos.

Lemons, apparently not just for G&T.. They clean stuff too?

Yep, I do seem to have mentioned a fair few carbs. Cut back on a lot of that stuff a while back.

Libres & strips. Just like 1976 I'm thinking of the old Jedi order of just "using the force."
Insulin, I'm doing my "bit." Still haven't perfected the "art" like Tom & Barbra in the "Good life." But I'm working on it.. ;)
I'm old enough to remember no supermarkets and no refrigeration in most homes.
If you wanted sausages and bacon you'd buy it on the day or maybe the day before but that was when we had shops.
Globalisation now means you can have a salad on Xmas day as the toms and lettuce etc are flown in from Africa Asia all over the planet and more and more of it is grown in polytunnels that are filled with .... CO2 to make stuff grow faster and also get greater yield .... that's what CO2 does but people who are eating CO2 out of season are contributing to what they see as a problem.The workings of marketing (propaganda) means billions of people believe they have to drink water all day long wherever they may be no matter what they doing .... those bottled water companies don't produce water they produce trillions of plastic bottles but .... it's essential for many people even those on marches protesting about the environment!
Start dumping the plastic packaging i n the supermarket.
You wanted potatoes not a plastic bag. When I was a kid I'd go the greengrocers with my mum and she'd pull out string bags linoleum bags hemp bags a bag for every need.
Take you bags dump theirs.
Tesco etc have to pay to dispose of their rubbish so if you leave the plastic behind in ever growing numbers they'll soon get the message.

Reactions: Oldvatr

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was at a meeting (about an unrelated topic) today. I was the youngest by about 25 years. Without exception, during chat while having a coffee break, every single one of them thought we should go back to nuclear power. I was a teeny bit stunned. None of them knew bout the proposals for cattle and sheep. And these were, due to the nature of the meeting, what I would consider to be informed educated people who use the internet. The mention of electric cars is what sparked the conversation, and the difficulty of getting good quality non-synthetic clothing.

Somehow, the message is not getting out there.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you wanted sausages and bacon you'd buy it on the day or maybe the day before but that was when we had shops.
Globalisation now means you can have a salad on Xmas day as the toms and lettuce etc are flown in from Africa Asia all over the planet and more and more of it is grown in polytunnels that are filled with .... CO2 to make stuff grow faster and also get greater yield .... that's what CO2 does but people who are eating CO2 out of season are contributing to what they see as a problem.The workings of marketing (propaganda) means billions of people believe they have to drink water all day long wherever they may be no matter what they doing .... those bottled water companies don't produce water they produce trillions of plastic bottles but .... it's essential for many people even those on marches protesting about the environment!
You wanted potatoes not a plastic bag. When I was a kid I'd go the greengrocers with my mum and she'd pull out string bags linoleum bags hemp bags a bag for every need.
Tesco etc have to pay to dispose of their rubbish so if you leave the plastic behind in ever growing numbers they'll soon get the message.

Problem is with bags.. They started off as a "courtesy" from the big supermarkets? First paper then plastic. Lol, folk were sort of reusing them..? To line kitchen bins. ;)

Then the charge in the form of a tax came on them. By a "bag for life.?" Provided you live that long..

I mentioned this on another topic.

Didn't we just come out of an "ice age" aprox 11.700/12.000 years back? Came down as far as Stroud..

But I do agree this rock could do with tidying up & more affordable green transport & go back to the basics. Sensible choice on appropriate diet..

I got my "sash' crown & posh frock on too & say, "an end to famine."

D

Deleted member 308541

Problem is with bags.. They started off as a "courtesy" from the big supermarkets? First paper then plastic. Lol, folk were sort of reusing them..? To line kitchen bins. ;)
I get my online grocery shopping delivered in plastic bags, this costs me $1.00, which gets refunded into my bank account when the driver takes the bags back.

All of my old shopping bags that I used to put rubbish in, which I had stockpiled have rotted down in the bag I had them in. So they were environmentally friendly...

Reactions: Jaylee

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.countryliving.com/uk/ho...can-you-leave-plastic-at-till-in-supermarket/

Reactions: Jaylee

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Then the charge in the form of a tax came on them. By a "bag for life.?" Provided you live that long..

Didn't we just come out of an "ice age" aprox 11.700/12.000 years back? Came down as far as Stroud..

But I do agree this rock could do with tidying up & more affordable green transport & go back to the basics. Sensible choice on appropriate diet..

Hang onto that posh frock if I were you. If animals get the push like we are sort of discussing in this thread, then the sourcing of clothing will be greatly discontinued as well. No leather, no silk, no wool, no cotton (finishing and washing uses animal biproducts like lanolin etc, Certainly no fur, and if the fossil fuels get the chop too then most synthetics will go too since carbolic acid will disappear and most nylon or acetate based fabrics will no longer be around. We will have hemp, flax, and cellulose of course (or should that be coarse) so sackcloth will make a fetching comeback.

Sales of palmoil will need to go up since soap and detergent will be in short supply, most lubricants are either animal or fossil fuel based too. We won't even have tallow for candles. Dark ages coming up, methinks.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hang onto that posh frock if I were you. If animals get the push like we are sort of discussing in this thread, then the sourcing of clothing will be greatly discontinued as well. No leather, no silk, no wool, no cotton (finishing and washing uses animal biproducts like lanolin etc, Certainly no fur, and if the fossil fuels get the chop too then most synthetics will go too since carbolic acid will disappear and most nylon or acetate based fabrics will no longer be around. We will have hemp, flax, and cellulose of course (or should that be coarse) so sackcloth will make a fetching comeback.

Sales of palmoil will need to go up since soap and detergent will be in short supply, most lubricants are either animal or fossil fuel based too. We won't even have tallow for candles. Dark ages coming up, methinks.
Linen, made from flax, can be a beautifully soft fabric, and was used as undergarments for centuries, and babies clothing.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm head butting 52. In the summer. (Gee, hope it's hot enough to increase insulin sensitivity.) You know I mentioned about keeping the carb down. I also still wear stuff from 30 years ago.. I kid you not!

Anything is a trade off to keep a cow on the landscape.. ;) And an age old proffession. (After prostitution..) in work..

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Linen, made from flax, can be a beautifully soft fabric, and was used as undergarments for centuries, and babies clothing.
Indeed my forebears owned the largest flax mills in Ireland, But they used animal products in the cleaning and finishing stages, I understand there is a company doing vegan linen so it must be possible to get by without animals.

vegan fibers include linen, polyester, spandex, lycra, ramie, bamboo, hemp, denim, nylon, rayon, tyvek, PVC, microfiber, cork, acrylic, viscose, and modal
Most of this list will disappear when the oilwells and coal pits get closed down.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I remember at the height of the aids scare and the crisis of mad cow disease a farmer putting a big sign up at the side of the road on a container .... British beef safer than sex!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed my forebears owned the largest flax mills in Ireland, But they used animal products in the cleaning and finishing stages, I understand there is a company doing vegan linen so it must be possible to get by without animals.

vegan fibers include linen, polyester, spandex, lycra, ramie, bamboo, hemp, denim, nylon, rayon, tyvek, PVC, microfiber, cork, acrylic, viscose, and modal
Most of this list will disappear when the oilwells and coal pits get closed down.
rest assured that animal products are not necessary with small scale production ; )

D

Deleted member 308541

In the UK it will by the sounds of it, other countries will still enjoy these products for many years to come.

What will they call the Yeoman Of The Guard (you know Beefeaters) when all of this **** happens. :D

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

When you look around planet earth and see that there are billions of tons of ice still here and even glaciers in
Austria; Bulgaria; France; Georgia; Germany; Iceland; Italy; Norway; Romania; Russia ... and then the poles you realise the ice age isn't yet fully gone.
The fossil fuel we now burn came from the sky when the earth had around 2000 ppm of CO2 and the planet was lush and green and teeming with life ..... even at the poles.
We're putting a little bit of it back up into the sky and no doubt over time it will end up back underground again.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
rest assured that animal products are not necessary with small scale production ; )
Errrm? with 10 billion souls on the planet, then how is small scale going to help. If we manage to implode the livestock industry, and take fossil fuels off the breadline, then we are back in the Dark Ages again. We will be desperate for Bill Gates and his magic factory churning out one size fits all bits and bobs to the starving masses. This panic thinking is what will destroy us, 5 years left and counting..... . . . . . .!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Errrm? with 10 billion souls on the planet, then how is small scale going to help. If we manage to implode the livestock industry, and take fossil fuels off the breadline, then we are back in the Dark Ages again. We will be desperate for Bill Gates and his magic factory churning out one size fits all bits and bobs to the starving masses. This panic thinking is what will destroy us, 5 years left and counting..... . . . . . .!

It all seems to come back to, too many people dwindling choices.. Yep, I may have polluted the environment in my time with condoms. (Any one got stats on Durex.?)
Seriously, child free.

But I've "had a go. at doing "my bit."

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
It all seems to come back to, too many people dwindling choices.. Yep, I may have polluted the environment in my time with condoms. (Any one got stats on Durex.?)
Seriously, child free.

But I've "had a go. at doing "my bit."
The UN say the population will stabilise and then start dropping in around twenty years maybe thirty.
We can feed a dozen planet earths maybe more and there's plenty of coal oil and gas to go around yet.