It doesn't have to turn out like that Panorama programme suggested

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
newly widowed and trying to go back to basics lchf - what to cook for one? All ideas welcome.

Hi Tonal, sorry to hear that. Please accept our condolences.

In brief, in answer to your question, whatever you like, and if you make more than you need, simply freeze it or refrigerate it for another occasion.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm in a family but I eat separately. Most of the time.
I don't need the calories that the kids do.

Well done for considering lchf.

Do you need to lose weight or is it solely to get high blood glucose levels down?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I ask for a little advice on this.

Just wanted to say Hi lovenoy5523, welcome to the forum. I expect you have read some of the other threads, did you have a particular question about "It doesn't have to turn out like . . . . . ".

If you have any other questions, please do start another thread if you like.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This video is now being linked with regard to new members, if I had seen this soon after diagnosis I would have completely shut down. It really doesn't have to be like this!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Why does Panorama programme not mention immobility due to diabetes, without amputation?
Is mine only because of pinched nerve S1 so not common?
I'm hearing more and more people struggling with mobility and not due to weight but diabetes without amputations. Numbness not picked up by medics at yearly reviews.
Maybe steroid from fright mechanisms are disguising numb test? No longer an accurate test?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm hearing more and more people struggling with mobility and not due to weight but diabetes without amputations.

I wish I understood the process better, but I think the answer lies in something called the Kreb cycle. Basically a series of chemical reactions used to release energy. It uses carbs, protein and fat and I think the last stage of the process is the production of ATP which goes to muscles. As I say, I wish I understood it better. I really needs an "Idiots guide".

Also, if Metformin is a medication one takes, it will to one degree or another effect the amount of lactic acid which builds up in the muscle. So, for example, even in people are not taking Metformin, if you decided to go for a 20 mile walk, without building up over a period of time to that distance, lactic acid will build up in the muscle and you will "stiffen up". It goes after a while, sometimes a day or two.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish I understood the process better, but I think the answer lies in something called the Kreb cycle. Basically a series of chemical reactions used to release energy. It uses carbs, protein and fat and I think the last stage of the process is the production of ATP which goes to muscles. As I say, I wish I understood it better. I really needs an "Idiots guide".

Also, if Metformin is a medication one takes, it will to one degree or another effect the amount of lactic acid which builds up in the muscle. So, for example, even in people are not taking Metformin, if you decided to go for a 20 mile walk, without building up over a period of time to that distance, lactic acid will build up in the muscle and you will "stiffen up". It goes after a while, sometimes a day or two.
Agree with what you say. It is the Krebs cycle, otherwise known as the Citric cycle, that governs the transfer of glucose into muscle cells for either immediate energy burning or storage, It also governs the release of stored glucogen already in those cells to the muscle for energy, and also as a last resort it can use lipids as well. This is where the primary T2D Insulin Resistance is situated, in that the disease affects the hormones such as insulin and adrenelin etc that are the keys that unkock or block the various pathways for energy in the mitochondria. It is this IR that precedes the Diabetes DX, and also leads to the excess insulin buildup that causes the adipose tissue buildup that characterises T2D and what many here now call IR, There are 2 different but linked ways that IR affect us, and current thinking sems to be fixated on adipose tissue IR and is not considering the initial triggers of muscle IR. To get a cure for T2D, BOTH of these have to be understood and fixed.

As regards Metformin and lactic acid buildup, again you are correct. A known side effect of Met is listed as lactic acid buildup, and I certainly suffer with it. A brisk walk to the end of my street is aufficient for me to feel like I have been in a marathon. I have to pause for about a minute for it to subside, then I can continue my perambulations. I am currently reducing my Metformin dose to see if I can ameliorate this problem, and so far it does seem to have enabled me to walk further before I have to take a break. I still get aches and maybe the condition is also linked to atherosclerosis in the calves and may be permanent.

my Idiots guide to Krebs (as was propounded a few years back) It is an oversimplification of what actually happens, and there are other hormones involved too but I think this is a very basic understanding. Krebs ia a multiway switch that is also bi-directional, so under certain conditions, local stores can also supply glucose back to the blood stream,

INSULIN / ADRENELIN/ Glucose Transfer
N/ N/ static. Glucose locked out of cell
Y/ N/ glucose allowed into cell either for local storage as glucogen or use as energy
N/ Y/ Local stored glucogen used for energy by muscle If stores empty and blood glucose is low then lipids and ketones can be used instead (ketosis)
Y/ Y/ blood glucose used for energy directly

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

I'm feeling like a wooden soldier in my gait now. My skin is very tight on my calves, just recently too. Nurses are saying due to heat but only came on when I started dihydrocodeine painkillers. Alongside pins and needles in hands and fingers with swellings there too.
Physio believe pregabalin gives such side affects not dihydrocodeine but maybe mine has triggered pregabalin side effects as I had none til their start. My body! Law upon itself.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Agree with what you say. It is the Krebs cycle, otherwise known as the Citric cycle, that governs the transfer of glucose into muscle cells for either immediate energy burning or storage, It also governs the release of stored glucogen already in those cells to the muscle for energy, and also as a last resort it can use lipids as well. This is where the primary T2D Insulin Resistance is situated, in that the disease affects the hormones such as insulin and adrenelin etc that are the keys that unkock or block the various pathways for energy in the mitochondria. It is this IR that precedes the Diabetes DX, and also leads to the excess insulin buildup that causes the adipose tissue buildup that characterises T2D and what many here now call IR, There are 2 different but linked ways that IR affect us, and current thinking sems to be fixated on adipose tissue IR and is not considering the initial triggers of muscle IR. To get a cure for T2D, BOTH of these have to be understood and fixed.

As regards Metformin and lactic acid buildup, again you are correct. A known side effect of Met is listed as lactic acid buildup, and I certainly suffer with it. A brisk walk to the end of my street is aufficient for me to feel like I have been in a marathon. I have to pause for about a minute for it to subside, then I can continue my perambulations. I am currently reducing my Metformin dose to see if I can ameliorate this problem, and so far it does seem to have enabled me to walk further before I have to take a break. I still get aches and maybe the condition is also linked to atherosclerosis in the calves and may be permanent.

my Idiots guide to Krebs (as was propounded a few years back) It is an oversimplification of what actually happens, and there are other hormones involved too but I think this is a very basic understanding. Krebs ia a multiway switch that is also bi-directional, so under certain conditions, local stores can also supply glucose back to the blood stream,

INSULIN / ADRENELIN/ Glucose Transfer
N/ N/ static. Glucose locked out of cell
Y/ N/ glucose allowed into cell either for local storage as glucogen or use as energy
N/ Y/ Local stored glucogen used for energy by muscle If stores empty and blood glucose is low then lipids and ketones can be used instead (ketosis)
Y/ Y/ blood glucose used for energy directly
I know when I was using supplement R-ala it helped my insulin pathway. Do you use this supplement?
I've returned to just 2x500mg metformin 2wks ago and immediately I felt less pressure on my bulging disc/nipped nerve S1. Soften tum but still like a water balloon. I feel water balloon due to so much insulin units injected and no where for the fluid left behind to go to. Worse on a night as no longer moving around. Hard tummy may soften more if I increase metformin but not in any hurray as I'm still sussing out ibs condition. However due to Metformin I can swim a little now. So back in pool. Twice a week, for now. Still shaky in all limbs but less worried about falling around pool as with whole family or partner.
Stiffness and wobbliness hasn't changed for me. With or in the 3+months of no metformin. However I'll still keep observing for any positive or negative changes.
Looser bowels but not unmanageable but maybe ibs related more. I'm watching and learning.

Reactions: Ladynijo

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I like the recent news bot about surgeons finding ways to reduce amputations recently.
I nievely thought amputations were due to gangrene only.
Damaged arteries must contribute to amputation statistics??
Ironically I have low/mild artherosclerosis but my legs just don't want to move in time with my brain. Slow and stiff.
Physio said he can help reduce symptoms but not take them away. However he hasn't heard of R-ala or ickihun's determination. I guess after bariatric surgery less weight on my joints/discs so I might be OK. Or at least far far better off.
This walking problem only started with weight gain from insulin.
I'm currently mainly in double figures with my fbgs thou. Still on antibiotics for throat infection from toddlers and their scarlet fever. So I'm optimistic. :)
Weight loss is definitely my key to relief. From dizziness from meds which I'm hoping to reduce too.
Since stopping iron tablets I'm back to sleeping in daytime again :(. Older gp disregarded my iron deficiency. I'm hoping bariatric team won't.

mark3evo

i did not watch panorama.

but want to share my experience was 49 hba1c november 17, nurse said cut your portion size down. was 106kg BM1 30.1 Body fat 27%

so was eating less carbs more fat - hba1c was 45 but now high lipids , GP wanted to put me on statins
at this time i was also under chemotherapy - u at this point and prior a big meat eg dairy eater
researched how to get well.
i said to GP no thanks i'll sort it

april 18 new mindset, so many youtube vids of how to get rid of type 2.. was 100kg

cut out all FAT, OIL and added sugar , which means no dairy or animal protein.

of course one needs calories and this means most for me where from carbs whole plant food , not processed with sweet potatoes, beans, rye bread , rice , plenty of fruit but not fruit juice

for me after 3 weeks it was real easy, dont miss the bold print any more,

july 18 hba1c 36 and now 86 kg cholesterol normal BMI 25.2 23.1% BF

continued with my new now normal diet
october 18 hba1c 37 normal weight 84kg BMI 24.8 body fat 22.7 %
so FOR ME HCLF diet is a definite no no

avoid heart diseases , cancer , stroke, dementia and type2 D
Athlersclerosis - will reverse and cure after complete removal of animal /dairy diet

GET rid of animal fat - it works for me. aged 57 now and feel with energy i had 25 years ago
dont make your GP and drug companies your best friend

looking back i was in denial , always thought i looked fine

if you want more help PM me, can share youtube links

i don't get why NHS and the like do not make this aware !!!!!!

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

but want to share my experience was 49 hba1c november 17, nurse said cut your portion size down. was 106kg BM1 30.1 Body fat 27%

so was eating less carbs more fat - hba1c was 45 but now high lipids , GP wanted to put me on statins
at this time i was also under chemotherapy - u at this point and prior a big meat eg dairy eater

april 18 new mindset, so many youtube vids of how to get rid of type 2.. was 100kg

of course one needs calories and this means most for me where from carbs whole plant food , not processed with sweet potatoes, beans, rye bread , rice , plenty of fruit but not fruit juice

Athlersclerosis - will reverse and cure after complete removal of animal /dairy diet

GET rid of animal fat - it works for me. aged 57 now and feel with energy i had 25 years ago

Wow I try to keep an open mind on these things but you have got me puzzled.
I assume that where you say "so FOR ME HCLF diet is a definite no no", you mean the reverse i.e that High Carb Low Fat is actually good for you.

In the rest of your post, your experience seems to be that the High Carb Low Fat lifestyle I was on ( I say that because I have never been overweight) for over 10 yrs should have protected me from the CVD which caused me to undergo a 3x CAB. I presume that since you posted in this forum that you believe that it should have also protected me from increasing Blood Glucose- which over that period went from non-Diabetic to pre-Diabetic to Type 2 Diabetic

I find it a little strange that the video is from a doctor talking about Cancer and Heart Disease and one who advocates pretty much that standard NHS advice - though more Plant-Based and much more strict about cutting out even the 'so-called good fats'. One who even says that the Paleo or High Fat diet proponents etc have no scientific studies to back up their ideas - which I know to be false!

Just in this website there appears to be enough evidence to show that the health organisations have had it completely wrong for the last 30yrs: Some years ago when 143,000 Type2 Diabetics had been on the Low is now just over 405,000.
Yet you claim to be one (of few) for whom it doesn't work and on those grounds you say we should continue with the High Carbs that got us sick in the first place.

Seewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did keto intermittant fasting for 2 years and just spent 3 weeks in a UShospital with a massive heart attack It doesnt work for everyone

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did keto intermittant fasting for 2 years and just spent 3 weeks in a UShospital with a massive heart attack It doesnt work for everyone
Whilst I agree with your comment that keto /fasting does not suit everybody, the inference that it is involved in your heart attack is something I do not accept. I too have just spent 3 months in hospital following 2 heart attacks, and culminating in a triple bypass operation. I asked my Consultant if my LC diet was to blame, annd he said that the damage to cause a heart attack is generally long term buildup from poor lifestyle over many years, and that my LCHF diet was unlikely to be causative in my recent MI events. As it turned out my MI was due to a bacterial infection that was eventually dealt with by antibiotics. The Consultant has confirmed this in writing to me and my GP and he reiterated that it was not due to recent lifestyle changes.

When atherosclerosis is present, then it is not reversed easily (if at all) by diet, and neither keto nor fasting is linked to improved CVD outcomes by any research I have heard of. These techniques may help in the fight to reverse diabetes, but they are not cure alls as far as I know. There are documented advantages to the diet such as lowering BP, reducing cholesterol, reducing NAFLD and possibly Insulin Resistance, but a T2D is at elevated risk from CVE as a consquence of having the disease,

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Brilliant that you have found something that works for you, so well done.

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Tonal, sorry to hear that. Please accept our condolences.

In brief, in answer to your question, whatever you like, and if you make more than you need, simply freeze it or refrigerate it for another occasion.

I too am recently widowed, and in fact I have found cooking for one easier. Because I am severely disabled I mostly use a small slow cooker and microwave. I do freeze and/or refrigerate As I usually cook enough for 2 meals. I cannot use the oven, and find pans on stovetop quite difficult. I have reduced portion sizes and I also have vastly reduced the amount of carbs I have particularly rice, pasta, potatoes and white flour. As a result I have lost 3 st and have been able to stop insulin, so now only taking oral meds. My HbA1c last December had actually gone down to 32. Good Housekeeping has a cookbook called Easy Cooking for One which I have found helpful.