pearlzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
drugs
Hell there...

I am on the Libre meter and my sugar levels have been fluctuating hell of a lot. Wont lie I kind drink 4 times a week.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Unlike normal insulin, it''s difficult to match your injected insulin curve to the carbs you're eating. Injected insulin has a fixed curve. Keep recording waking, bedtime, before meals and four hours after-meal blood sugars with finger blood pricks and discuss your progress with your diabetes nurse. Good luck.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hell there...

I am on the Libre meter and my sugar levels have been fluctuating hell of a lot. Wont lie I kind drink 4 times a week.
Sadly, being on the Libre doesn't automatically mean your readings will get better. It's just easier to watch them yoyo :)
I drink probably more than i should too - what do you tend to drink? Alcohol in itself is little more than fermented sugar. It makes the blood sugars spike, then drop. A lot. But everything else that is in the majority of drinks to make them taste good, that's where the issue is. There is tons of added sugar in cider, wine to a lesser extent. Lager. Shorts are what my DSN recommended to me, with alternating sugar free and sugary mixers to keep my readings from going too high or plummeting.
I'd recommend talking to your DSN and ask them to explain what alcohol does to a diabetics body. Just so you know what to expect when you have a drink. You don't have to change your lifestyle - although it would be easier to drink more in moderation while you figure out where your diabetes control fits in.
Get a late night kebab. Works wonders for keeping your bloods steady overnight after drinks :)

Reactions: pearlzo

pearlzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
drugs
any thanks...very informative responses....I will talk to DSN

pearlzo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
drugs
Unlike normal insulin, it''s difficult to match your injected insulin curve to the carbs you're eating. Injected insulin has a fixed curve. Keep recording waking, bedtime, before meals and four hours after-meal blood sugars with finger blood pricks and discuss your progress with your diabetes nurse. Good luck.

THANKYOU
Sadly, being on the Libre doesn't automatically mean your readings will get better. It's just easier to watch them yoyo :)
I drink probably more than i should too - what do you tend to drink? Alcohol in itself is little more than fermented sugar. It makes the blood sugars spike, then drop. A lot. But everything else that is in the majority of drinks to make them taste good, that's where the issue is. There is tons of added sugar in cider, wine to a lesser extent. Lager. Shorts are what my DSN recommended to me, with alternating sugar free and sugary mixers to keep my readings from going too high or plummeting.
I'd recommend talking to your DSN and ask them to explain what alcohol does to a diabetics body. Just so you know what to expect when you have a drink. You don't have to change your lifestyle - although it would be easier to drink more in moderation while you figure out where your diabetes control fits in.
Get a late night kebab. Works wonders for keeping your bloods steady overnight after drinks :)

YOU SAID " It makes the blood sugars spike, then drop."

that is very true...I will talk to my DSN. thanks