Read the article about benefits of SGLT2

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Read the article on benefits for kidneys so thought I would check out any known problems and found this from FDA:

[8-29-2018] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning that cases of a rare but serious infection of the genitals and area around the genitals have been reported with the class of type 2 diabetes medicines called sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors. This serious rare infection, called necrotizing fasciitis of the perineum, is also referred to as Fournier’s gangrene. We are requiring a new warning about this risk to be added to the prescribing information of all SGLT2 inhibitors and to the patient Medication Guide.

SGLT2 inhibitors are FDA-approved for use with diet and exercise to lower blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes. SGLT2 inhibitors lower blood sugar by causing the kidneys to remove sugar from the body through the urine. First approved in 2013, medicines in the SGLT2 inhibitor class include canagliflozin, dapagliflozin, empagliflozin, and ertugliflozin (see FDA-Approved SGLT2 Inhibitors). In addition, empagliflozin is approved to lower the risk of death from heart attack and stroke in adults with type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Untreated, type 2 diabetes can lead to serious problems, including blindness, nerve and kidney damage, and heart disease.

Interesting as all drugs have side effects as well as benefits.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The question then becomes one of, does the individual want to take it after weighing up the options?

What other options are there?

How much information does a patient receive from a gp wanting to prescribe it?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This class of drugs has its own subthread. Here is one post from it that is a sticky post so is considered to be important. Certainly it describes things that users here are reporting
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-on-the-risk-of-diabetic-ketoacidosis.104325/

The benefits in the article in the press recently describes the action is due to the med reducing blood flow in capilliaries, and I am worried that it will be doing the same thing all over the body, not just the kidneys. I would give it time to make sure nothing crawls out of the woodwork later. When drug companies start mking claims for their meds beyond the basic need then I am wary. We see this with statins now being prescribed for all sorts of medicl conditions and generally it is not because they have done the full suite of safety checks, but are reading across from the original trials, which we now suspect as being flawed.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interestingly if you look at the changes in blood test results with SGLT2i reported in the studies, they all move in the same direction as reported in studies on very low carb.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Great for those who don't mind UTI's as a trade off for reducing BG by medication rather than by just eating less carbs!