670G minimed pump, help please

lee7355

Hello, my wife is a type 1 and has recently ( about 1 month ago) been put on the 670G pump.

She has been reasonably ok with it, but today her BG levels keep rising. and we don't know what to do. the pump doesn't show any errors, but she was 28 about 2 hours ago, 29 about an hour ago and she is now 31 after a 40 minute walk which we thought would bring it down a bit, but it didnt The diabetes uk helpline is closed until 9am, and I am going to take her to A&E if they do not come down soon. any thoughts would be very helpful, thank you.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has she tried changing the canula?

edit: Oh, see this is your first post, @lee7355 , welcome to the forum!
Hopefully members who are more knowledgable on pumps than I am will be along soon.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, it could be a bad infusion site or bad insulin absorption. At 28mmol, I’d change everything - infusion site and insulin reservoir. Has she checked her ketones? Do you know if she is coming down with anything? Is her period due?

Reactions: Antje77

lee7355

Thank you both, she just changed the infusion set and the little plastic tube that goes into the body (sorry I don't know the name of it) looks like it was bent over at the end that should be in the body. hopefully with a new one in and some bolus goin in she should be heading in the right direction pretty soon. thanks again

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both, she just changed the infusion set and the little plastic tube that goes into the body (sorry I don't know the name of it) looks like it was bent over at the end that should be in the body. hopefully with a new one in and some bolus goin in she should be heading in the right direction pretty soon. thanks again

Ah yes, kinked cannulas is another problem. If she continues to experience kinked cannulas, her hospital can recommend another type of cannula to try.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @lee7355 hope your ok now ? I stopped using the mios because of this issue with kinking and insulin not being delivered - I have switched to steel tip sure t’s now and haven’t had any issues since then, about 4 years ago now.

lee7355

great
Ah yes, kinked cannulas is another problem. If she continues to experience kinked cannulas, her hospital can recommend another type of cannula to try.
Thanks, we will give it a try as this is the second one that has not been perfect in a month. Really appreciate your help :)

lee7355

Hello @lee7355 hope your ok now ? I stopped using the mios because of this issue with kinking and insulin not being delivered - I have switched to steel tip sure t’s now and haven’t had any issues since then, about 4 years ago now.
Thanks a lot, that sounds like a great idea, we will look to go for that I think. Really appreciate your help :)

lolo0825

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
had a lot of issues with my 670G pump with high BG, so have switched back to shots (humalog & tresiba)...good luck!

Reactions: Jollymon

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
had a lot of issues with my 670G pump with high BG, so have switched back to shots (humalog & tresiba)...good luck!

I’d agree that if things are going bad to default back to something you know how to do- like mdi.

Pumps have a learning curve. Cannulas are the weakest link in pumping, and one of the last things that people choose with little or no prior experience. That’s kind of sad to me. And the people selling them don’t really put that much thought into them- they’ll push what’s easy.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Here’s a pump mantra- when in doubt, change it out. It means when you can’t explain why your blood sugar is rising (assuming you have a good basal rate) change out the infusion set. It’s either occluded or kinked.

lolo0825

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’d agree that if things are going bad to default back to something you know how to do- like mdi.

Pumps have a learning curve. Cannulas are the weakest link in pumping, and one of the last things that people choose with little or no prior experience. That’s kind of sad to me. And the people selling them don’t really put that much thought into them- they’ll push what’s easy.
I've tried twice with 2 different medtronic brands...spent lots of money...and still issues galore! So back to the tried and true...but now the lows...aauuuggghhhh, but I have to get my A1C to 8 or less (US) by May 11th.

Reactions: Jollymon

lolo0825

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here’s a pump mantra- when in doubt, change it out. It means when you can’t explain why your blood sugar is rising (assuming you have a good basal rate) change out the infusion set. It’s either occluded or kinked.
& while I agree with this mantra...changing the infusion set often can get very pricey! :(

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
& while I agree with this mantra...changing the infusion set often can get very pricey! :(

I just plan on changing my every day. It is expensive.

Somedays I’m fine leaving it in, and leaving it alone. Today I burned through 3 of them to find a spot that works.

I was kind of excited when mm was going to offer pro sets. It had more than 1 opening. I thought this would help many with kinks and occlusions. The added side port on the cannula shouldn’t be impeded if the cannula is kinked. They had some kind of issue with it and it’s already off the market.

So now I’m waiting for a pediatric version with a shorter angled cannula that might also never be available.