Labelling Diabetes

Cartep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why do we label diabetes as type 1 or type 2 or even LADA. Why not insulin or non insulin users?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Type 1 and 2 are totally different conditions, totally different. And should never be viewed as the same.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Type 2s can sometimes be put on insulin as well

I agree that the differing forms/types of diabetes should have different names and not just "type"

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2s can sometimes be put on insulin as well

I agree that the differing forms/types of diabetes should have different names and not just "type"
Now I wish I could name my diabetes something bad **s... T2 is lame indeed.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@JoKalsbeek when I was diagnosed (1971) it was just Diabetes Mellitus. There was no "types" at all then

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 and 2 are totally different conditions, totally different. And should never be viewed as the same.

But to be fair, the risk of the same sort complications if the condition is left unchecked for prolonged periods are the same.
Regardless of "type."

Personally, I'd rather focus on my meter than a new "branding" of what I got.
Lol, the product still has the same "great taste." & cleans whiter than other leading brands!

Occasionally, I put the odd "tiger in my tank" but that's just me being a bit vorprung dork with the technique..

M

Member496333

But to be fair, the risk of the same sort complications if the condition is left unchecked for prolonged periods are the same.

I wouldn't disagree with this in principle but it should be added that type 2 is largely synonymous with hyperinsulinemia and all the potential complications of metabolic syndrome that come with it - heart disease, hypertension etc. The average type 2 may be dealing with the aftermath of decades spent in metabolic meltdown prior to diagnosis, as well as poor glycemic control. Not that one type is any more desirable than the other, but the subject of complications is most certainly nuanced.

Reactions: jjraak

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Regardless of "type."

Personally, I'd rather focus on my meter than a new "branding" of what I got.
Lol, the product still has the same "great taste." & cleans whiter than other leading brands!

Occasionally, I put the odd "tiger in my tank" but that's just me being a bit vorprung dork with the technique..

I don't care about branding either, management is my interest. And that's where the difference is once you know what you are dealing with. No one wants either condition...lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't disagree with this in principle but it should be added that type 2 is largely synonymous with hyperinsulinemia and all the potential complications of metabolic syndrome that come with it - heart disease, hypertension etc. The average type 2 may be dealing with the aftermath of decades spent in metabolic meltdown prior to diagnosis, as well as poor glycemic control. Not that one type is any more desirable than the other, but the subject of complications is most certainly nuanced.

Hi Jim,

I accept your thoughts. But is possible for a T1 especially a Young ' un to get away with it for years with dodgy managment. (We all feel indestructible at that age.)
Only to be pipped at the post "wiv summat" just as they get to grips with it?

So I see similarities in that respect. The only difference being regrettably too much "sand" in the ears of the T1?

M

Member496333

Hi Jim,

I accept your thoughts. But is possible for a T1 especially a Young ' un to get away with it for years with dodgy managment. (We all feel indestructible at that age.)

So I see similarities in that respect. The only difference being regrettably too much "sand" in the ears of the T1?

Also a valid point, and well made.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi Jim,

That is true, I think at a certain age you can go through that indestructible stage, but also be self destructive at the same time. Not an easy time looking back at it. And it certainly can be very difficult if you are living with chronic health conditions whether they be diabetes or other conditions.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever it’s called onset, progress and management of different versions of diabetes are different and risks have variations in type and timing. Yes there’s similarities and cross over but I honestly feel once over the (massive) hurdle of name change confusion that clearly separate names would help. Autoimmune, metabolic, and induced (via surgery/illness/medication) anyone?

Reactions: Robbity and KK123

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I would rather be type 2 as there is a possibility of remission. I know a type 2 who came off insulin and is managing with diet. This isn't even a consideration for me.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Still think that all types of diebetes should have a different name
People have no idea on types of diabetes, I get told a lot that I dont look like a diabetic! And that is because the papers and social media portray diabetes as being overweight - please don't shoot me....I KNOW thats not correct!!

Reactions: zand
M

Member496333

It doesn't really bother me what people think. But what does bother me is when overweight type 2 are blamed for being fat and lazy by Team Wholegrain and their clueless disciples.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi Jim,

really have to agree with this and I was that indestructible guy, drank smoked didn’t test my blood ! Luckily I was a quite fit ( oops I mean healthy not what fit means these days ) the old it’ll no happen to me routine , well when I was in my late 40 s it did ! Heart attack and eventually leg off ,
I too don’t really care for branding it’s , like most branding it doesn’t really matter it’s what’s in the box that makes the difference , and what is the end result, so whether ur type 1. 2 A Z or Uncle Tom cobbly the result if you don’t control the animal that is Diabetes the results will be the same , but if you do the world is your lobster as they say .

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly labels are required in order to get the right box to open in order to get the right contents (outcome).

As you say teenagers/youngsters think they’re indestructible whilst simultaneously trying hard to prove that point wrong but that’s not unique to diabetes, for those kids it’s another tool to test boundaries with unfortunately, though admittedly with cause to resent those particularly boundaries

Reactions: KK123

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still think that all types of diebetes should have a different name
People have no idea on types of diabetes, I get told a lot that I dont look like a diabetic! And that is because the papers and social media portray diabetes as being overweight - please don't shoot me....I KNOW thats not correct!!

Yep I was told that by a "tyre kicker" of a DSN a couple of years back.

But then my dad didn't look "T2" either..

I just feel it's going to be the same issue with a name change. Which one are you.? The one I know nuffin about? Or one of the others I know even less about..

D

Deleted member 308541

I was borderline diabetic for years, then become a T2 diabetic. It did not feel any different having a label and it does not really bother me.