What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wanted to make a cheesy crust omelet tonight but this thread moves so quick now I can't find it anymore. Am I remembering correctly the basics is to first melt grated cheese in a frying pan on low heat before adding egg/vegetable mixture?
If so, are you sure the cheese doesn't burn or stick to the pan to never come off again?

Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just started to document what I eat together with BG levels. It's been about a week now. Today was the first major spike I've recorded though. I thought/hoped the fat in the Spam would moderate things somewhat. I'll check out those low-carb breads when I'm next out shopping. I do so miss my bread :arghh:.
You seem to be getting off to a great start. I was dxd Dec 2017 and I am still learning and the other important thing is we all tolerate different things at different levels so test as much as possible. The testing does become less when you build up a bank of safe meals. As a general rule bread, pasta, potatoes and rice are really bad for us. I have a small slice of LivLife toast cooled with thick grass fed butter for breakfast (2 slices if I am feeling very safe) because I have eaten toast for breakfast all my life and while I dont otherwise have it its just what starts my day best. If you stick around here, like me, you will get lots of useful info in a very friendly way. Best wishes.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee first thing, 2 weakish mugs rather than 1 strong one. Still trying to tweak my love for coffee against upset tum if I have it in an empty stomach.
L: M&S smoked salmon and cream cheese deli filler 1/2 pot, in LoDough wrap with 1/2 avocado and lettuce. Bit of cheese. 2 HC 100% buttons
D: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-lisas-chicken-skillet-with-mushrooms-and-parmesan/servings/3 very nice indeed. Had with broccoli.
@DCUKMod My home What3Words are boring but my daughter’s desk at work included Cabbage and Despair which she said summed up her feelings about it.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You seem to be getting off to a great start. I was dxd Dec 2017 and I am still learning and the other important thing is we all tolerate different things at different levels so test as much as possible. The testing does become less when you build up a bank of safe meals. As a general rule bread, pasta, potatoes and rice are really bad for us. I have a small slice of LivLife toast cooled with thick grass fed butter for breakfast (2 slices if I am feeling very safe) because I have eaten toast for breakfast all my life and while I dont otherwise have it its just what starts my day best. If you stick around here, like me, you will get lots of useful info in a very friendly way. Best wishes.
Thank you. I think I've mostly got things under control. At least my personal testing and last HbA1c suggest so. I'm starting to gradually introduce carbs tentatively after being extremely carbophobic for a few weeks after my Dec '19 dx. No nasty shocks barring today though. At least I know now. I've had wholemeal toast (one slice) and peanut butter for breakfast before, and that seemed OK. As @Brunneria said, it's probably a portion thing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I think I've mostly got things under control. At least my personal testing and last HbA1c suggest so. I'm starting to gradually introduce carbs tentatively after being extremely carbophobic for a few weeks after my Dec '19 dx. No nasty shocks barring today though. At least I know now. I've had wholemeal toast (one slice) and peanut butter for breakfast before, and that seemed OK. As @Brunneria said, it's probably a portion thing.

Haven’t had toast and peanut butter for a couple of years, I think I might try it again soon too - but I’ll wait til there is only 1 slice of bread left, otherwise I know I will have more!

Reactions: Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Managed to get my camera open so can post pics today. Will do that at the end of this.

Today I had breakfast at about 10 am to stop my BG rising too high (insulin first, of course), It was 2 rashers of streaky bacon and 2 fried eggs. But it didn't stop me feeling hungry. Snacked about 1 pm on 3 slices of ham.

Dinner - just finished - was stir fried beef with broccolli and orange (mostly just strips of the zest but 4 segments on top) and butternut squash oven chips. Very tasty and I must make myself some more of those "chips".

Below: the fish cakes and egg from yesterday, then the stir fried beef and chips.

fish cakes snd eggs.JPG
stir fried beef and squash chips.JPG

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started to document what I eat together with BG levels. It's been about a week now. Today was the first major spike I've recorded though. I thought/hoped the fat in the Spam would moderate things somewhat. I'll check out those low-carb breads when I'm next out shopping. I do so miss my bread :arghh:.

I've been trying to track BG levels and relate to food for a long time and the only thing I know for sure is that absolutely anything with any marked level of carbohydrate makes my BG shoot up despite taking insulin - that's wheat, oats, barley and other grains, potatoes, rice, root veg. and pulses. So I have tried very hard not to eat any of those and I can usually manage but recently I am very hungry (I think because I have reintroduced breakfast and my stomach just wants more) and I do miss my carbs still. We are all different, of course, so don't be put off by me, just keep testing and see what your body does in response.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wanted to make a cheesy crust omelet tonight but this thread moves so quick now I can't find it anymore. Am I remembering correctly the basics is to first melt grated cheese in a frying pan on low heat before adding egg/vegetable mixture?
If so, are you sure the cheese doesn't burn or stick to the pan to never come off again?

It doesn't stick hard to a non stick pan. But you'd have to scrape it off a carbon steel or iron pan unless they were very well buttered first and even then ...

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
8B693AA4-E243-423D-B782-DE5A5B9E279F.jpeg

Breakfast scrambled eggs on half a toasted chaffle then out with two flasks of coffee with lacto free whole milk for day long hike into the forest above our house and high in valley above River Severn. Photo is my lunchtime coffee on the dowles footbridge. The Dowles stream is often a trickle but looked like a river today and footbridge we were crossing had been submerged on Sunday! We saw a lot of Water today a lot of it underfoot and leaking into my boots despite being at quite a high sea level - the ground is saturated.
Dinner venison casserole on bed of red cabbage and mushrooms with glass of red wine later having LC lemon mousse.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't stick hard to a non stick pan. But you'd have to scrape it off a carbon steel or iron pan unless they were very well buttered first and even then ...
Thanks for your somewhat reassuring message. My pan is non stick, but it was also very cheap and food has been stuck in it before. Very happy with small dogs with the patience to get every last stuck molecule of food from my pans :)

I'll post a picture of the result after dinner, regardless of how it worked out!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Sencha tea (leaves) on getting up - no milk or sweetener and all good. Very hungry by 1.10 so had CWC with cinnamon. Went to Bury St Edmunds to sort out kitchen design issues and had a coffee in the showroom with builders milk - no tea:arghh:. Roamed Bury Sainsbury's looking for Hi Lo bread - know where it will be now if I sleep over. Found Bury Waitrose - obviously meat sale day. Huge short rib for £1.50 - think joint for 2 wrinklies size, mainly meat. Oxtail - Julie likes it but I'm a bit (very) meh , also £1,50. Had a latte as by about 5.00 I could have eaten my own body parts. Evening was the DD cheese crusted keto omelet - swapped turkey for chorizo (how come Sainsbury's is so high carb?) and mushrooms were reduced to clear shitake and mini portaloo. I ate it, it was crispy and the base didn't stick. So far so good. Chorizo was important for me - don't know what the turkey was doing in there. Not in my starting XI but considering it was DD I am amazed by my reaction. It was ok - not sure about how filling it is as only about 10 mins since I finished eating. If I say it was not unpleasant that is a major improvement on most DD I have tried.
Edit: Forgot I had 30 gms Biltong around 4.20

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Ended up needing to change all my plans today as a colleague was ill which meant attending meetings at short notice and a much later dinner than normal.

Lunch was bacon, eggs and cheese at the cafe.

Dinner, after a very brisk 50 minute walk along and over the Thames from meeting to railway station (tube avoidance) was pan fried wild Alaskan sockeye salmon with lemon butter sauce a la @DJC3 Looks enormous in the pic, but that’s a side plate!

@shelley262 very jealous of your day long walk.

E837EFF7-C602-47D0-A23E-ED1DE4B5FAC4.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Ended up needing to change all my plans today as a colleague was ill which meant attending meetings at short notice and a much later dinner than normal.

Lunch was bacon, eggs and cheese at the cafe.

Dinner, after a very brisk 50 minute walk along and over the Thames from meeting to railway station (tube avoidance) was pan fried wild Alaskan sockeye salmon with lemon butter sauce a la @DJC3 Looks enormous in the pic, but that’s a side plate!

@shelley262 very jealous of your day long walk.

View attachment 38780

Looks great, I can almost smell the deliciousness. Good idea to avoid the tube where possible at the mo I reckon, hope your Achilles coped with the briskness of the walk though.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch on the run (nearly missed an appt!): some cheese and nuts.
Mid afternoon: Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: Balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
87147753_10219881051011017_4956034411498831872_o.jpg

There you go! It didn't stick to the pan and it didn't burn :)
In fact, I needed to turn up the heat a bit to get a good crust and I tried to fold over too early from fear of burning, making a mess in the pan. Today was the pretty part, tomorrow will be the other half, resembling scrambled eggs with a bit of crust here and there :D
Other half of my plate is a quick salad with cucumber and cabbage (oxheart cabbage according to Google), onion, mayonnaise, horseradish, salt, pepper, splash of balsamic vinegar.

edit: diabetes seems to love it, straight line on my Libre, no insulin. Perhaps a small dose later, when the protein kicks in.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
87147753_10219881051011017_4956034411498831872_o.jpg

There you go! It didn't stick to the pan and it didn't burn :)
In fact, I needed to turn up the heat a bit to get a good crust and I tried to fold over too early from fear of burning, making a mess in the pan. Today was the pretty part, tomorrow will be the other half, resembling scrambled eggs with a bit of crust here and there :D
Other half of my plate is a quick salad with cucumber and cabbage (oxheart cabbage according to Google), onion, mayonnaise, horseradish, salt, pepper, splash of balsamic vinegar.

edit: diabetes seems to love it, straight line on my Libre, no insulin. Perhaps a small dose later, when the protein kicks in.
Salad sounds good a bit like a coleslaw bet horseradish gave it a great kick I’ve recently chopped fennel root into my coleslaw and use lemon juice rather than balsamic - must experiment!

D

Deleted member 308541

Just drinking the last of my breakfast coffee, and have just put my order in with Medadvisor for my medication to be delivered later today. I noticed I am halfway to ringing the PBS safety net bell of 48 scripts or $316.80 to get free medication for the rest of the year. :D

mouseee

Cheese toastie for breakfast... current food obsession.

Lunch, not sure I had any!

Greek yogurt with a quarter tsp of lemon curd and a couple of raspberries. Amazingly delicious.

Dinner - veggie kebab tiny portion with a couple of my peanut butter not-biscuits with a huge pot of tea.

Summoned up the courage to sort an hba1c for Friday. I've been putting it off because I am not doing low carb even nearly perfectly. I need to know if this slightly more relaxed low carb is still working for me. I went from 101 to 46 in the first 3 months. No idea what's going to happen this time.