What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
87147753_10219881051011017_4956034411498831872_o.jpg

There you go! It didn't stick to the pan and it didn't burn :)
In fact, I needed to turn up the heat a bit to get a good crust and I tried to fold over too early from fear of burning, making a mess in the pan. Today was the pretty part, tomorrow will be the other half, resembling scrambled eggs with a bit of crust here and there :D
Other half of my plate is a quick salad with cucumber and cabbage (oxheart cabbage according to Google), onion, mayonnaise, horseradish, salt, pepper, splash of balsamic vinegar.

edit: diabetes seems to love it, straight line on my Libre, no insulin. Perhaps a small dose later, when the protein kicks in.

Looks good. I like the sound of your salad too - the bit of horseradish with the mayo is something I’ll definitely try.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Completely off topic, @DJC3 , yesterday I saw the film 'Parasite' (can recommend), and now your profile picture looks somewhat disturbing to me :D

Reactions: DJC3

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today :

Still sick but had to go to work.

Breakfast : got omelette but did not eat much of it. Went to bin

Lunch : had 1 sausage alone . Some pickles .

Dinner : will have bbq with a few spoons of rice .
Dessert : nothing since I gonna have rice .

Will rest early . Not feeling well .

Reactions: Chook and Quinn1066

Winnie-the-Pooh

Thanks for your somewhat reassuring message. My pan is non stick, but it was also very cheap and food has been stuck in it before. Very happy with small dogs with the patience to get every last stuck molecule of food from my pans :)

I'll post a picture of the result after dinner, regardless of how it worked out!

My cousins use their two dogs as a vaccine cleaner . Yours is a dish washer which is more advanced . Over yrs , I realized investing on good non stick pans economically makes a lot of sense as long as u buy them in massive sales ( 70% off) and keep the final price on each pan under 50$ .
I usually create a list of these type of things that are not urgent and buy all of them in massive sales- this saves me lots of money .

Reactions: ziggy_w and Antje77

Winnie-the-Pooh

Cheese toastie for breakfast... current food obsession.

Lunch, not sure I had any!

Greek yogurt with a quarter tsp of lemon curd and a couple of raspberries. Amazingly delicious.

Dinner - veggie kebab tiny portion with a couple of my peanut butter not-biscuits with a huge pot of tea.

Summoned up the courage to sort an hba1c for Friday. I've been putting it off because I am not doing low carb even nearly perfectly. I need to know if this slightly more relaxed low carb is still working for me. I went from 101 to 46 in the first 3 months. No idea what's going to happen this time.

I’m doing a low carb but not just any low carb .
I got a GCM ( dexcom ) and I have a constant near real time blood sugar measurements, 24 hours a day like a graph .

It is very different from finger pricks since your pick can happen any time and it’s often sharp so with finger pricks you most definitely miss it .

Then I figure out how much each certain amount of food and even each brand of it increases my blood sugar . I often only added one new item at a time so its objective and not subjective. And I often test a new item a few times, allowing for noise and timing of the day and interactions with other food .

So now I know that I can have rice safely ( let’s say 10 spoon without a large spike. I can not touch potato in any form ( so won’t ever eat potato again on my life ). I can handle some breads but not all ( strangely can handle cheaper brands better than my fancy French bakery ) . I cannot have lentils ( give me a spike ) but green beens are ok . No beens for me , unless 1-2 spoons if I have no choice . I won’t drink any juice but vegetable juice sold here is ok ( half a glass). Same goes for fruits , nuts , you name it . I know I can have a mousse cake from my French bakery if the rest of my food has no carbs .

You see ? I tested food one bye one in a systematic way . I still have my dexcom but I won’t really need it as before, because I can tell exactly what my BG level will be ( except new things , like the cake on weekend ). I cannot eat Apple but I can have oranges. I can have as many blueberries as I want ( well within reason ).

So my advice is to use a GCM for at least a month and figure out what can you eat and how much . Low carb is too general . I would rather to call my diet “informed” low carb .

So yes I do have some carbs every now and then ( not a large amount of course ) but only the ones I can tolerate .

GCMs are expensive but one only needs them for a month or two .

mouseee

I’m doing a low carb but not just any low carb .
I got a GCM ( dexcom ) and I have a constant near real time blood sugar measurements, 24 hours a day like a graph .

It is very different from finger pricks since your pick can happen any time and it’s often sharp so with finger pricks you most definitely miss it .

Then I figure out how much each certain amount of food and even each brand of it increases my blood sugar . I often only added one new item at a time so its objective and not subjective. And I often test a new item a few times, allowing for noise and timing of the day and interactions with other food .

So now I know that I can have rice safely ( let’s say 10 spoon without a large spike. I can not touch potato in any form ( so won’t ever eat potato again on my life ). I can handle some breads but not all ( strangely can handle cheaper brands better than my fancy French bakery ) . I cannot have lentils ( give me a spike ) but green beens are ok . No beens for me , unless 1-2 spoons if I have no choice . I won’t drink any juice but vegetable juice sold here is ok ( half a glass). Same goes for fruits , nuts , you name it . I know I can have a mousse cake from my French bakery if the rest of my food has no carbs .

You see ? I tested food one bye one in a systematic way . I still have my dexcom but I won’t really need it as before, because I can tell exactly what my BG level will be ( except new things , like the cake on weekend ). I cannot eat Apple but I can have oranges. I can have as many blueberries as I want ( well within reason ).

So my advice is to use a GCM for at least a month and figure out what can you eat and how much . Low carb is too general . I would rather to call my diet “informed” low carb .

So yes I do have some carbs every now and then ( not a large amount of course ) but only the ones I can tolerate .

GCMs are expensive but one only needs them for a month or two .
I've already done an awful lot of testing. I know rice and potatoes are no good for me, 3 bits of sushi spiked me as did 10 chips. LC bread is ok and better if I have lots of butter or cheese on it.

I don't think people who don't test as we do quite understand- I still get the "surely brown rice is ok?" and "what about a jacket potato?"

I eat a whole lot better than I did but I I slip up!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Completely off topic, @DJC3 , yesterday I saw the film 'Parasite' (can recommend), and now your profile picture looks somewhat disturbing to me :D

What??? Haha Brilliant I must watch it, there was me thinking it was just a nice appropriate keto style avatar.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sooo... back on topic...

Can't remember if I posted my plans for food yesterday, but it wall went pearshaped when I looked in the fridge and saw that the chicken didn't need cooking for several days, so had a pizza instead. Lol.

Went for one of the Lo Dough discs that are sitting in the cupboard, loaded it with cheddar, mozarella, a few thin onion slices, shredded ham, pepperoni and then more cheese. Used the smallest smear of pasata I could, since tomatoes don't agree with me.

And the best bit? Cooked in 9 mins at 220 degrees.

So the rest of the evening was my own :D:D:D and I spent it plotting more things to do in the house during next week, which is a week off work. Turning out to be a long list!

ed. for typo

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today: 20/02/2020
Didn't sleep well last night, had a nap from 7.30 to -10.45. I wake up at 5 AM. Went grocery shopping this afternoon. White coffees made me go to the loo. Heck tomorrow I will just drink half a cup of milk and see what happens. NBN install went very smooth. Tech called 30min before he came, no extra box needed outside, he just pulled the cable through where the copper came in, plugged in router and it just worked it was easy very happy with telstra.

Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 62g frozen blueberries, 26g peanut butter. Weak black coffee, peppermint tea.

Snack 11.00: two white coffee 120ml whole milk

Lunch: 200g cabbage carrot coleslaw, 200g sardines in tomato sauce (drained), 2 white corn tortilla

Dinner: 220g pepper steak, 178g mushrooms, 122g tomato, mustard

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Ended up needing to change all my plans today as a colleague was ill which meant attending meetings at short notice and a much later dinner than normal.

Lunch was bacon, eggs and cheese at the cafe.

Dinner, after a very brisk 50 minute walk along and over the Thames from meeting to railway station (tube avoidance) was pan fried wild Alaskan sockeye salmon with lemon butter sauce a la @DJC3 Looks enormous in the pic, but that’s a side plate!

@shelley262 very jealous of your day long walk.

View attachment 38780
That salmon looks delicious...I love fish but am not good with salmon but the lemon butter sauce looks a great addition. Can you or @DJC3 give me the recipe when you can...TIA

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
10 am, after 2 cups of tea and 34 units of insulin, I had a slice of aubergine, roasted and tomato and cucumber salad. FBG 10.5 post breakfast (2 1/2 hours later - NO 2 son came in early - very little mail got to the Island today) BG was 12.8. Not sure if that was it rising again or if it had spiked earlier. Obviously, eating fairly early and making myself hungry as a result, isn't keeping BG down for the rest of the day.

Tonight will be braised chicken thigh with spinach. Must resist eating in between.

The insulin doesn't seem to be doing much these days. I know I am insulin resistant but usually the 34 units is enough to make it work - maybe getting too used to it and need to take more. That's what the dietician is going to tell me next week, I'm pretty sure. Or she's going to tell me to eat more carbs - that's the usual advice she gives. Not too sure which way to turn at the moment.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @PenguinMum the sauce is easy to make, although sometimes I lose my nerve and don’t let it brown enough.

@Annb I find that eating early can trigger me into eating more too.

Well, having started putting my work bag away into its weekend cupboard this evening, I had the disappointing realisation that today is Thursday not Friday :bigtears:, however dinner has restored my good mood.

Lunch was the usual bacon eggs and cheese.

Dinner was the most delicious batch of air fried lamb ribs I’ve made yet. To the usual marinade of olive oil, thyme, garlic and pink Himalayan salt I added a decent amount of fresh lime juice. Left in the fridge for about 20 hours. Totally delicious.

890C67E0-834B-4BF7-B22B-648EED143FDA.jpeg

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been very naughty today. :bag: Had lasagne, salad and chips at the local pub, then got home and had some ice cream. Feel guilty now, but am going to do a 16:8 fast from this evening to make up for it, which will help put me back on track. I know it is only a “momentary” lapse; well a 2 hour lapse, that is, but it won’t become an ongoing mishap! :cool:

Reactions: annabell1 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. All the jagged edges of my relationship with LC food dug in today. Winter, early waking, tired, housebound. Called for comfort food - LC + that are incompatible in my world. Sencha tea plus lemon until 11.30. Tea x 2 (800 mls) with almond milk then. Ate the pieces of cucumber, tomato and Sainsbury's version of baby bel grandchildren left as a kind of lunch. CWC from Nespresso mid afternoon. Late evening meal of cottage pie - celeriac, swede and cheese topping + cabbage wilted? in butter. Think that qualifies as sucking it up. Oh well, it's been a good day in hell And tomorrow I'll be glory bound. In other news I have an audition for a principal ballerina

Last edited:

mouseee

LC toast and peanut butter

Lunch Some left over beef thing!

Dinner yogurt and quarter spoon lemon curd. Didn't really fancy anything else.

Had a latte whilst out and about earlier.

Managed to get some work done today and go through my work emails. Lots more to do ready for kids back again next week.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. All the jagged edges of my relationship with LC food dug in today. Winter, early waking, tired, housebound. Called for comfort food - LC + that are incompatible in my world. Sencha tea plus lemon until 11.30. Tea x 2 (800 mls) with almond milk then. Ate the pieces of cucumber, tomato and Sainsbury's version of baby bel grandchildren left as a kind of lunch. CWC from Nespresso mid afternoon. Late evening meal of cottage pie - celeriac, swede and cheese topping + cabbage wilted? in butter. Think that qualifies as sucking it up. Oh well, it's been a good day in hell And tomorrow I'll be glory bound. In other news I have an audition for a principal ballerina
Sounds like a good day to me. I have never understood the liking of Baby Bels but Ai think it is a pre schooler thing. The pie with the buttery cabbage is right up my street. Good luck in tbe morning and more importantly with rhe audition. o_O

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal those ribs look amazing but sending hugs to you for thinking it was Friday when really it’s Thursday!
Got there in the end but frustrating day today - Bridge in Bewdley still shut to traffic so our caring visit took more than twice as long due to traffic problems and delays that resulted. Still at least we are not flooded at home just the wrong side of river to our adult autistic son!
Breakfast two boiled eggs and half a toasted chaffle
Dinner duck stir fry and glass of Chardonnay followed by LC lemon mousse with yoghurt.