Swimming

rowlyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
running
Hi, I've been swimming tonight, ate carbs and didnt take novorapid beforehand. Got in the pool at 11.4. I swam 30 lengths in 20 mins and got out to test and was 4.6! Had two lift sweets and carried on sipping a glucose drink every six lengths. Finished after 40 mins and 64 lengths was 7.0 when leaving the pool. Gets home, now 9.4.
This illness totally blows my mind.....I dont think I'll ever get my head around it.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm not T1 however, my blood sugars also drop like a stone after exercise . Go figure

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another type2 here. Swimming is the form of exercise that lowers my BG more than others. Not a problem as I’m unmedicated. I’ve seen people who keep a plastic drinks bottle at the end of the pool - could you have one with something a little sugary in to sip as you go along?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been swimming tonight, ate carbs and didnt take novorapid beforehand. Got in the pool at 11.4. I swam 30 lengths in 20 mins and got out to test and was 4.6! Had two lift sweets and carried on sipping a glucose drink every six lengths. Finished after 40 mins and 64 lengths was 7.0 when leaving the pool. Gets home, now 9.4.
This illness totally blows my mind.....I dont think I'll ever get my head around it.

Rowlyc, I think @becca59 is a regular swimmer. I've tagged her here. She may have some tips for you.

Becca - If I remembered the swimming thing wrongly, please accept my apologies.

Reactions: rowlyc

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @rowlyc

Yes I get this too - swimming drops me like a ton of bricks, I had one of my worst hypos a few years ago when I dropped down to low 2’s and thought I was going to pass out. The temperature of the pool I believe as well as the exercise contributed to this as the pool was quite cool so my body would of been burning more glucose to keep my core temperature up.

Now when swimming I ensure I start above 7mmol/l with no quick acting on board, then test every 20 mins and of course keep my testing gear and glucose with the lifeguard so easy to access at poolside.

Reactions: rowlyc

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Thanks for the tag. Swimming is an interesting one. I attend 2 training sessions a week. One is very much trainer led and timed. My levels always go up and I take extra insulin in the changing room. The second is more self driven and I stay roughly the same, but rise and inject 1-2 hours later. However, if I just swim at a more leisurely pace I drop. It is all to do with the Adrenalin. During the night after a swim session I drop and need a lot less bolus with breakfast. Then there are the rogue sessions were I keep hypoing. Why? Haven’t a clue! Probably something that happened the day before, I have stopped trying to analyse it. Diabetes and exercise is so complex. The only thing you can do is have something at the side of the pool. I have a pot of dextrose. Then be prepared to inject on getting out if you have overdone the sugar. The most important thing is to keep going and don’t let it beat you.
When I was first diagnosed 6 years ago I used to worry about getting in the water and chomp on a banana first. Now I don’t bother. The only time I will not swim is if I am above 13. The energy does not reach the muscles.
Reading your post through @rowlyc that sounds a good workout. You may have been better to have had about 10 mls of the glucose drink but nothing else. Very quick acting! Did you continue to rise throughout the evening I wonder.

Reactions: Juicyj and rowlyc

rowlyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
running
Hi Thanks for the tag. Swimming is an interesting one. I attend 2 training sessions a week. One is very much trainer led and timed. My levels always go up and I take extra insulin in the changing room. The second is more self driven and I stay roughly the same, but rise and inject 1-2 hours later. However, if I just swim at a more leisurely pace I drop. It is all to do with the Adrenalin. During the night after a swim session I drop and need a lot less bolus with breakfast. Then there are the rogue sessions were I keep hypoing. Why? Haven’t a clue! Probably something that happened the day before, I have stopped trying to analyse it. Diabetes and exercise is so complex. The only thing you can do is have something at the side of the pool. I have a pot of dextrose. Then be prepared to inject on getting out if you have overdone the sugar. The most important thing is to keep going and don’t let it beat you.
When I was first diagnosed 6 years ago I used to worry about getting in the water and chomp on a banana first. Now I don’t bother. The only time I will not swim is if I am above 13. The energy does not reach the muscles.
Reading your post through @rowlyc that sounds a good workout. You may have been better to have had about 10 mls of the glucose drink but nothing else. Very quick acting! Did you continue to rise throughout the evening I wonder.
Hi Becca, thanks for this.
I've only been diagnosed since Dec 19, so still very much getting used to everything and will still be in the honeymoon period.
I worry about what to eat and when before swimming. I swim at 8 at night, so ate between 6:30 and 7. Usually I have pasta, but last night had oven chips (a small amount), lightly dusted fish and beans (haven't had beans since before diagnosis!). So maybe it wasnt slow release enough....who knows.
On going to bed I tested again and was 7.3 and woke up 6.7. Thanks again.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could well be the type of food. Quick rise and quick drop, plus swimming late when we tend to be less insulin resistant. In the morning I need 4 times as much insulin as in the evening. Swim an hour after eating my usual brekkie. Full fat Greek yog and rasps. 10 carbs worth.
Went to bed and woke up on good numbers so that’s a win win in my opinion.