Received the Omnipod DASH

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have now received my DASH, I was considering adding onto the last topic about the DASH but I decided to start fresh as this is more about the actual handset rather than availability.

My favourite improvement is the ability to turn off all beeps apart from the hazard (pod fail alarm). No more beep beep once the instruction has been accepted. No more pressing the pod to muffle its beeps. The most welcome change and one less thing to be conscious of.

The pod is the same other than that (communication is now bluetooth from radio).

The PDM is a lot better, of course, and the app is quite well rounded. Two issues for the EU version, no carb library (Americans get a full carb library from Calorie King). We have now lost the function to save carb presets, I think this is possibly because they had to drop the carb library (licensing... EU law, who knows) and they haven't designed in a standard manual library. This is a little annoying as I used it a bit on the old PDM. Not a game killer but annoying.

Second issue is we have no Omnipod apps on the iPhone (not that fussed on this one). The US PDM has WIFI on, we have no WIFI connectivity (does beg the question how we update the pod as features get approved..if at all). The US Omnipod sends IOB to a iPhone widget, and there is a follow app like Dexcom, probably used for parents to monitor insulin.

Bit of a shame to not get the complete DASH, but the rest of the PDM is a massive improvement, more info on the main screen, settings are easy to change and the locked down PDM gives all the benefits of phone, slim, rechargeable and you can turn the volume off on the phone so you are completely silent on both the pod and phone.

Let's hope looping on the bluetooth pods comes soon. I was considering a Rileylink on the old Eros pods but when I last looked the PCBs were on back order and then I was offered the upgrade.

If you want to know more, just ask :)

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interested in the Dash when it becomes available. Just wondering how long the battery lasts following a full charge and if you are able to change the battery... Ie keep one charged and swap over when battery running low?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Postleneo So milage will vary by usage, now I have stopped getting used to it/ playing with it. I last charged it Sunday and it is on 36 percent today (Wed). Better than expected if I am honest.

About the battery, it is a Nuu phone, so if you can get a battery you should be able to keep one spare. The model number is NUBA1 (at least for mine - they may change phones in the distant future) for the battery and is removable without the phone losing any setting/ IOB calcs.

Edit: Just looked up the battery now, £4.99 from nuumobile.com. Now that is decent, cheaper than a pack of AAAs for the old one!

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Postleneo So milage will vary by usage, now I have stopped getting used to it/ playing with it. I last charged it Sunday and it is on 36 percent today (Wed). Better than expected if I am honest.

About the battery, it is a Nuu phone, so if you can get a battery you should be able to keep one spare. The model number is NUBA1 (at least for mine - they may change phones in the distant future) for the battery and is removable without the phone losing any setting/ IOB calcs.

Edit: Just looked up the battery now, £4.99 from nuumobile.com. Now that is decent, cheaper than a pack of AAAs for the old one!
Many thanks for the info

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

I have now received my DASH, I was considering adding onto the last topic about the DASH but I decided to start fresh as this is more about the actual handset rather than availability.

My favourite improvement is the ability to turn off all beeps apart from the hazard (pod fail alarm). No more beep beep once the instruction has been accepted. No more pressing the pod to muffle its beeps. The most welcome change and one less thing to be conscious of.

The pod is the same other than that (communication is now bluetooth from radio).

The PDM is a lot better, of course, and the app is quite well rounded. Two issues for the EU version, no carb library (Americans get a full carb library from Calorie King). We have now lost the function to save carb presets, I think this is possibly because they had to drop the carb library (licensing... EU law, who knows) and they haven't designed in a standard manual library. This is a little annoying as I used it a bit on the old PDM. Not a game killer but annoying.

Second issue is we have no Omnipod apps on the iPhone (not that fussed on this one). The US PDM has WIFI on, we have no WIFI connectivity (does beg the question how we update the pod as features get approved..if at all). The US Omnipod sends IOB to a iPhone widget, and there is a follow app like Dexcom, probably used for parents to monitor insulin.

Bit of a shame to not get the complete DASH, but the rest of the PDM is a massive improvement, more info on the main screen, settings are easy to change and the locked down PDM gives all the benefits of phone, slim, rechargeable and you can turn the volume off on the phone so you are completely silent on both the pod and phone.

Let's hope looping on the bluetooth pods comes soon. I was considering a Rileylink on the old Eros pods but when I last looked the PCBs were on back order and then I was offered the upgrade.

If you want to know more, just ask :)
Hi I am due renewal of Omnipod and have been offered dash but no info apart from unable to check. BG with this? What do you use instead ? Do you know if it pairs with Libre ? How about downloading is it still diasend ? Sorry re all questions.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Heathero I use one of my others (i.s. Contour NEXT, or my old Omnipod as I have loads of strips left) and just input the value. It does not pair with Dexcom or Libre, but I do use my Dexcom to bolus off. Still uploads to Diasend. One tip for that, unlock the DASH before you plug the USB in otherwise it will only charge it.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Heathero I use one of my others (i.s. Contour NEXT, or my old Omnipod as I have loads of strips left) and just input the value. It does not pair with Dexcom or Libre, but I do use my Dexcom to bolus off. Still uploads to Diasend. One tip for that, unlock the DASH before you plug the USB in otherwise it will only charge it.
Thanks very helpful. I am not very technical so needed to work out if Dash would be better seems if u change need to carry extra ‘kit’ re blood tests too. So undecided.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Heathero I was a little concerned with that, but in all honesty it hasn’t been a problem. A smaller meter and the DASH is far more manageable. On top if that if nip out I often go with DASH only (relying on Dexcom).

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Heathero I was a little concerned with that, but in all honesty it hasn’t been a problem. A smaller meter and the DASH is far more manageable. On top if that if nip out I often go with DASH only (relying on Dexcom).
Thanks that’s reassuring I understand that Omnipod are stopping the PDM (I wonder if this is because they become faulty if BG testing reaches a certain amount sorry can’t recall amount told ) b4 libre had to have 2 replaced. I have now made my decision to request the Dash . What size is this do you think a phone cover would protect it?

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Heathero The exact model is a NUU A1+ so that model case should fit. But also Omnipod supply one with the device.
That’s great thanks for your help. Mine has been ordered so hopefully get it soon. I still have three boxes of pumps. So hope they’ll supply new type/ and accept some back.

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have a question, I have the old style omnipod,
can the basal / bolus ratios be refined on the Dash ie 7.5 no 7 or 8
example I have bolus 1-10, 1-9, 1-7, which is a little to much but 1-8 not enough to, so does the dash go 1 to say 7.5 ?

Im unable to upgrade for 3 years, however I would pay if I could fine tune the Dash

Thanks

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am pretty sure there is a setting on your old omnipod to change to 0.05u increments.

But yes the dash does use 0.05u increments, as its the same as the old version.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My current PDM does doses from 0.10 when personally entering Bolus amount /or when PDM doing calculation dose re BG /carbs -smaller adjustments may occur. Cannot find any setting that allows 0.05 which personally would not be needed by me.
Still waiting to hear when my application for Flash will occur. When I asked if it comes with a protective cover was informed there is a shortage of these. But mobile phone covers can be purchased.

Last edited:

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sweetbinty so on the original omnipod (Eros) the setting to go to 0.05u is home > Settings > System Setup > Bolus/ basal/ calcs > Bolus Increment. The you can pick 0.05u, 0.10u, 0.5u and 1u.

On the DASH, I set this up in the beginning but for some reason I can’t find it in the settings. Will report back when I do.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my current omnipod warranty is coming up for renewal and I've been asked to select my next pump. I love the omnipod because of tubeless so I dont want to switch but U have been offered the Eros or the Dash..

One question I cant find the answer to... If i test my sugar on a different monitor, is there a way to Bluetooth it to the Dash PDM? I like how I currently can do it all on one handset, but the Dash sounds as though it adding in an additional step of testing bloods on one machine, to then have to input this on the Dash PDM? Can someone please let me know if this is correct?

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can test blood on the Freestyle Libre but unfortunately you cannot use diasend to collate info from Dash to libre. I also find you cannot copy any insulin programme without copying it step by step.

Last edited:

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi have found I can do blood test on Freestyle libre with different type of test strip but also ok for Omnipod. But unfortunately does not down load to Diasend.

Last edited: