Is it ok to cut back on testing?

DenverGarth

BANNED
Given that we are all different, and have different responses to foods at different times, only my finger prick test tells me where I am at any given time, so I can tailor my next meal to suit my results.

The graph is a map. My finger prick test dictates my journey. Just as we change our journey based on accidents or roadworks, or congestion.

My blood glucose meter is an invaluable tool for me.
So we know a bowl of rice is almost certainly going to raise our blood sugar levels, same for bananas, cereal, etc etc etc and so we eliminate them from our diet. We keep going through all those food items that are likely to raise our blood sugar and avoid them. That might of course lead to missing one or two, but then does that matter?

T2 by the way.

DenverGarth

BANNED
To use your own analogy how do you know where you are on the map without checking the co-ordinates?
If I were in a known area, I wouldn’t need to check co ordinates. Just follow the map. Many areas are well known to us now. Maps are very detailed these days. Sat navs too. If stuck I might ask a passer by that would know the area.

I could check the co ordinates. But it wouldn’t really be necessary.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were in a known area, I wouldn’t need to check co ordinates. Just follow the map. Many areas are well known to us now. Maps are very detailed these days. Sat navs too. If stuck I might ask a passer by that would know the area.

I could check the co ordinates. But it wouldn’t really be necessary.
Thanks John nice to see you back after the ban..

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 38727

Curious to know how often people test ?
Obviously testing has been key in learning about reactions to food etc and controlling what you eat , however......
I’ve learned my fasting can be anything from late 4s - 6s and what I eat doesn’t really make any difference
My pre and post meals are always pretty good so as I self fund like most do you think it’s really necessary to keep testing 2-3 times a day?
Obviously it’s handy to keep an eye if you’ve eaten something different but we have pretty much the same things week in week out.

Just curious to what other people do and do they always get more or less the reading they are expecting?
Thanks
I have found that testing at least 4 times a day has kept me diet only controlled for 8 years. The menopause seems to give me wild fluctuations, even eating a narrow range of foods during this time. So, for me, keeping a close daily eye on my blood sugar levels is important.

I also find stress, and some other triggers, affects my blood sugar levels quickly too.

So I personally prefer to monitor frequently to be able to tailor my intake of food meal by meal to maintain my success.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I agree but I’m more than happy with my low carb way of eating now I don’t see why I’d ever go back!
I did steal 3 of my wife’s chips Saturday after a few drinks- felt so decadent
I envy you ... I wish that I could be in the position of being happy with my eating.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I envy you ... I wish that I could be in the position of being happy with my eating.
Is there any way I can help? I have been a diet controlled type 2 for 8 years now. Perhaps you can start a thread about your eating, and others on the forum can share their experiences to see if we can come up with some positive suggestions?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Is there any way I can help? I have been a diet controlled type 2 for 8 years now. Perhaps you can start a thread about your eating, and others on the forum can share their experiences to see if we can come up with some positive suggestions?
Lucylocket61 It's been a terrible 21 months for me. My mother died suddenly and unexpectedly, and then just nine months later so did my dear son ( and in between the two losses my fiance left me). My eating pattern became the last thing on my mind and still is. I am in a swirl of emotions. I'm sorry to not be able to provide a better response

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucylocket61 It's been a terrible 21 months for me. My mother died suddenly and unexpectedly, and then just nine months later so did my dear son ( and in between the two losses my fiance left me). My eating pattern became the last thing on my mind and still is. I am in a swirl of emotions. I'm sorry to not be able to provide a better response
I am sorry for your losses.

Reactions: SueJB

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Gosh, your poor fingers! Have you thought about asking for a libre Jollymon? x

I was given a Libre. I liked it. It allowed me to sleep through the night without crazy alarms from bad readings. But I fall into the group that cgm doesn’t work so well. On day 2 of it all of the readings went crazy. On day 3 it said I needed to change the sensor. I left it in through day 4 after the sensor died. Then I put it in a ziplock bag, stuck it on top of the fridge, and haven’t seen it since.

My finger tips are bad from testing. I know they aren’t pretty. I file the thick spots with an emery board. Doing this helps.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am sorry for your losses.
Lucylocket61 Thank you. I hope to turn a corner soon and try to regain control over my diabetes. It's really just trying to keep to a proper diet that seems impossible, as my mind wanders and I just forget to focus. I'm okay at breakfast .. I have a tiny amount of porridge oat flakes mixed with Chia and Pumpkin seeds, ground ginger & Cinnamon, soaked in Coconut milk, then I add either fresh blueberries or fresh/frozen raspberies ... cook for 1 minute and lace with double cream. But the rest of the day seems too much for me to handle. I think perhaps some is comfort eating (egg custards some days, chocolate, and even hot chocolate which I know is too sweet even when I'm drinking it) I think lack of emotional support since my fiancee left is the key. I'm not a mixer so it's difficult. Hope I've not rabbited on too much!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucylocket61 Thank you. I hope to turn a corner soon and try to regain control over my diabetes. It's really just trying to keep to a proper diet that seems impossible, as my mind wanders and I just forget to focus. I'm okay at breakfast .. I have a tiny amount of porridge oat flakes mixed with Chia and Pumpkin seeds, ground ginger & Cinnamon, soaked in Coconut milk, then I add either fresh blueberries or fresh/frozen raspberies ... cook for 1 minute and lace with double cream. But the rest of the day seems too much for me to handle. I think perhaps some is comfort eating (egg custards some days, chocolate, and even hot chocolate which I know is too sweet even when I'm drinking it) I think lack of emotional support since my fiancee left is the key. I'm not a mixer so it's difficult. Hope I've not rabbited on too much!
Keep talking, you are not rabbiting on. This is a support forum for all aspects of diabetes, including how our feelings and situation affects our health.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I test twice-yearly ..at my Diabetic Reviews, which is enough for me.

The dilemma facing a glucometerer is this .."if I take my eyes off ✻the ball✻ ..will my control slip" ..it's magical thinking, methinks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes a bit like taking your eyes of the road to check the speedometer when driving your car.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @coby
I am so sorry for your losses. That is a lot to bear.

I'm am also so sorry you are struggling. I know when there are other stresses in our lives that taking care of ourselves can seem to be the easiest thing to give us. I also know how certain foods can give you a feeling of comfort.

You may want to google keto baked custard for some custard that actually tastes okay without the huge level of carbs- also google keto hot chocolate.

Please feel free to post on this site either to ask for support, ask for food ideas or just to get things off your chest. This site has the most generous people I know. We are all on a similar journey and I for one have received so much help from people here and welcome the opportunity to provide and support for others- it's a life long journey and I'm sure I'll receive more support in the future.

Take care of yourself.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @coby
I am so sorry for your losses. That is a lot to bear.

I'm am also so sorry you are struggling. I know when there are other stresses in our lives that taking care of ourselves can seem to be the easiest thing to give us. I also know how certain foods can give you a feeling of comfort.

You may want to google keto baked custard for some custard that actually tastes okay without the huge level of carbs- also google keto hot chocolate.

Please feel free to post on this site either to ask for support, ask for food ideas or just to get things off your chest. This site has the most generous people I know. We are all on a similar journey and I for one have received so much help from people here and welcome the opportunity to provide and support for others- it's a life long journey and I'm sure I'll receive more support in the future.

Take care of yourself.
VashtiB that is so kind of you. I'm one of life's 'carers' so find it difficult to ask for/accept emotional support for myself. I doubt I will change now, and always try to find my own way through any struggles, but this time it's been rather like a huge landslide. I have just had my healthy breakfast ;) and feel a little stronger today, so hopefully I will keep to the right frame of mind.

Lorna Tinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't you have to test before you get into your car. That is what I have been told to do.