JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A rose is still a rose by any name stinkwort is still stinkwort.

Reactions: zand

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s useful to differentiate the types but we are all same in that we have issues with blood sugar regulation.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Why do we label diabetes as type 1 or type 2 or even LADA. Why not insulin or non insulin users?
This is how diabetes always used to be known - IDDM / NIDDM.
For all of the reasons of the other posters, and to try and individualise it, it was changed, I think in early 2000's.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
It’s useful to differentiate the types but we are all same in that we have issues with blood sugar regulation.

Just the way we deal with it is VERY different!!!
You can not deal with your type 1 with a LCHF diet only! You still have to take insulin to stay alive!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just the way we deal with it is VERY different!!!
You can not deal with your type 1 with a LCHF diet only! You still have to take insulin to stay alive!

Unfortunately this also applies to some T2s as well this is where lines get blurred and the differences are no longer so well defined.

M

Member496333

Personally I think we're fine as we are. There's no need to try to disassociate ourselves with one type or the other. There's really no other reason why anyone would care.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I think we're fine as we are. There's no need to try to disassociate ourselves with one type or the other. There's really no other reason why anyone would care.

The problem is though that when someone comes to me saying 'oh you have diabetes, did you know you can reverse it by diet and exercise, you should try that', at which point I have to try not to be too sarcastic as diet and exercise will never ever fix my beta cells :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank you @Rokaab.....I have being trying to write that down for 5 mins lol......and that is the reason I loose my rag on here and social media when I see BS like that and miracle cures!!!!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Jim Lahey I see you have reversed your diabetes, well done on that. Unfortunately I have zero chance of not being diabetic, I have it until I die.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Mind you even here we are talking as if there is just type1 and type2 which is not the case.

You can't expect the public in general to understand or Know about the manifold forms of diabetes and the differences clinically between them.

I mean I have MG a condition even my GP had only read about in a text book 99% of people up to very recently had not even heard of it let alone knew anything about it and yes out there there abounds a plethora of miracle cures when it like Type1 diabetes is an incurable autoimmune disease.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Still think that all types of diebetes should have a different name
People have no idea on types of diabetes, I get told a lot that I dont look like a diabetic! And that is because the papers and social media portray diabetes as being overweight - please don't shoot me....I KNOW thats not correct!!

Agreed. And then there is getting the right people to understand the differences/

Reactions: Struma

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Agreed. And then there is getting the right people to understand the differences/

BUT unless you have diabetes then there is no reason to learn about it....? So no one will have a clue on the differeing types of diabetes and the way we deal with them so very differently.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
BUT unless you have diabetes then there is no reason to learn about it....? So no one will have a clue on the differeing types of diabetes and the way we deal with them so very differently.

Well, you'd hope HCP's would...lol... but that's another matter.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't feel 'branded' at all, because, not only do medical professionals need to know what medication I am on and how to treat my diabetes and my management of it, my family needed to know, my friends needed to know, my work place/colleagues need to know as well, as my needs and safety reguarding my diabetes is always important.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jim Lahey I see you have reversed your diabetes, well done on that. Unfortunately I have zero chance of not being diabetic, I have it until I die.

Jim may have to stick with his diatary plan for an indefinite period, in order to remain "reversed."

Reactions: Struma
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Someone new in my life has type 2, they drastically changed their lifestyle, lost 4 stone and is on diet alone.
This person had absolutely no idea about type 1 diabetes and is eager to learn, help and support me

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Jim may have to stick with his diatary plan for an indefinite period, in order to remain "reversed."

So, technically, still has diabetes just that his treatment is the way he eats!?