First hypo and exercise food

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I'm newly diagnosed type 1.5 and just started on insulin.
So today was day 2 of my 10units of Lantus in the morning.
I woke up with normal levels and I had cereal for breakfast as I was worried the insulin would make me drop too quickly as it did that when my blg was very high.
I went from 117mg/DL to 145 10min after breakfast, to 195 1.5h after breakfast and back to 158 2h after breakfast.
Another hour and a half later I started getting very hot and sweaty and went to check, shaking - I was at 68. Luckily a friend had given me glucose tablets that day so I got it back up and it bounced a bit for the rest of the day but stayed in normal levels.

Now, did the spike in the morning CAUSE the hypo or did the spike jusy help to delay it to later?
I'm a bit worried what to eat tomorrow for breakfast before insulin - normal carb free breakfast or some cereal to give me a bit to use up any insulin so i don't go hypo?

Secondly, I'm currently checking between martial arts classes. I was at 102 before class and decided to have a banana to be sure. Classes went well and the lowest I got was 84, but I feel I'm having to eat banana or similar between classes as I'm worried to go too low - how do you guys eat before or during longer workouts? I am usually trying to do 3 1h classes in an evening and exercising with a lot of food isn't too great, but better than having blood sugars drop.

Any insight on both these points would be amazing.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you contact your DN? When you start insulin, there is no way to know what dose you need except trial and error. Could it be that 10 units is simply too high a dose for you?

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am thinking it is too high.
I don't have a team here, as I'm not in the Uk and the doctors here are a bit.....well let's say aftercare isn't great. I'm hoping to visit yet another clinic this weekend to hopefully find an english speaking doctor to ask more questions.
I wonder if I should try 8 units or so tomorrow and see how I get on?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am thinking it is too high.
I don't have a team here, as I'm not in the Uk and the doctors here are a bit.....well let's say aftercare isn't great. I'm hoping to visit yet another clinic this weekend to hopefully find an english speaking doctor to ask more questions.
I wonder if I should try 8 units or so tomorrow and see how I get on?
I'm sorry, we're really not allowed to advise you on dosing. But I like your thinking :)

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I completely understand.
Could you tell me though, do spikes cause hypos? Ie because I ate wrong the insulin had to work too hard and caused blg to drop or would that probably have happened anyway with different food as that's just the dose I took?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I assume you mean you're a T1 (LADA or late onset) when you say you're a 1.5, is that right?
Thank you, I completely understand.
Could you tell me though, do spikes cause hypos? Ie because I ate wrong the insulin had to work too hard and caused blg to drop or would that probably have happened anyway with different food as that's just the dose I took?
Spikes don't usually cause hypo's.

You're only on Lantus right now, which is a basal or background insulin. It is designed to keep you steady during the day when not eating. Long time T1's use a bolus or quick acting insulin to cover food. Being a newly diagnosed 1.5 means your in the 'honeymoon phase' (not my preferred kind of honeymoon, but that's what it's called) and your pancreas will be working somewhat and many late onset T1's can manage for a while on only basal insulin.
When it's working can be very unpredictable in some people. I haven't had much trouble with it, but for many people it means that some days pancreas seems to remember what it's supposed to be doing (not good when you've already done it's work by injecting insulin) and on other days it can suddenly take a holiday. Don't be alarmed, with luck yours will behave somewhat predictable.
The only way to find out is to test a lot to see what's happening and why.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I assume you mean you're a T1 (LADA or late onset) when you say you're a 1.5, is that right?

Spikes don't usually cause hypo's.

You're only on Lantus right now, which is a basal or background insulin. It is designed to keep you steady during the day when not eating. Long time T1's use a bolus or quick acting insulin to cover food. Being a newly diagnosed 1.5 means your in the 'honeymoon phase' (not my preferred kind of honeymoon, but that's what it's called) and your pancreas will be working somewhat and many late onset T1's can manage for a while on only basal insulin.
When it's working can be very unpredictable in some people. I haven't had much trouble with it, but for many people it means that some days pancreas seems to remember what it's supposed to be doing (not good when you've already done it's work by injecting insulin) and on other days it can suddenly take a holiday. Don't be alarmed, with luck yours will behave somewhat predictable.
The only way to find out is to test a lot to see what's happening and why.

Thank you, I think the dose was definitely too high as I'm having to eat between exercises and I woke up with a level of 87 today. I was only slightly under the threshold of C peptite, so really hoping I can last a long time on basal only and watching carbs.
I'll see how today goes :)

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
By the way, is Sgathach the name of the big eyed black cat? Love the picture!

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
By the way, is Sgathach the name of the big eyed black cat? Love the picture!
No it's from a legend, His Royal Highness in the picture is called Lunas, he prefers to look about than stay warm on a trip for a quick checkup, quite posh and curious :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No it's from a legend, His Royal Highness in the picture is called Lunas, he prefers to look about than stay warm on a trip for a quick checkup, quite posh and curious :D
Shadow or moon, he's gorgeous and seems to be the smart kind of royalty. He's right to stick his head out to oversee his kingdom and right to keep the rest of him in your coat to stay warm :)