Labelling Diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you @Rokaab.....I have being trying to write that down for 5 mins lol......and that is the reason I loose my rag on here and social media when I see BS like that and miracle cures!!!!

Count to 10, then breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. I try to think upon the lines of,*I don't know these people, I don't work with them, I don't live with them and not related to them ................. lucky me :D and then,
calm.............:happy:
Also thinking of puppies and kittens helps too :cat::joyful:

Reactions: Shiba Park

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Count to 10, then breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. I try to think upon the lines of,*I don't know these people, I don't work with them, I don't live with them and not related to them ................. lucky me :D and then,
calm.............:happy:
Also thinking of puppies and kittens helps too :cat::joyful:

Haha good idea Robs :) Now I just log off for an hour or so

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably best to let @Jim Lahey explain it to you... ;)

From my understanding.
A reversal just means an A1c in the non D range. With no meds.
Many of us see it as well managed rather than gone when we achieve normal numbers without meds using diet. A few like Jim consider that if no tests can detect it then to all intents and purposes it is not there, for now. Some use reversed, some use remission. Few use cured. Like many things it’s not ultimately defined and is subjective.

I for one think I’ll always have to “manage” it somehow, as not doing so would mean higher numbers again. How bothersome or undesirable that management is depends on my outlook.

M

Member496333

Probably best to let @Jim Lahey explain it to you... ;)

From my understanding.
A reversal just means an A1c in the non D range. With no meds.

Normal glucose. Normal insulin. No meds :cool:

Glucose intolerance may remain, but that is not T2DM. The diabetes can potentially return in the future, but is currently clinically undiagnosable and therefore not in place. Of course, none of the above is relevant to the discussion, and I can see where this whole conversation is headed, so I will gracefully bow out.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Jim Lahey I see you have reversed your diabetes, well done on that. Unfortunately I have zero chance of not being diabetic, I have it until I die.
I have diabetes because I take prednisolone I take prednisolone because I have MG I have MG for life so I will never be able to stop taking prednisolone so I am diabetic for life. where is the difference.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
for one think I’ll always have to “manage” it somehow, as not doing so would mean higher numbers again. How bothersome or undesirable that management is depends on my outlook.

We may have different types, but management, for me, is essential too, unfortunately I don't always get it right and that is indeed bothersome and undesirable as well :rolleyes:

Edited.

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have diabetes because I take prednisolone I take prednisolone because I have MG I have MG for life so I will never be able to stop taking prednisolone so I am diabetic for life. where is the difference.

Difference in what??

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Difference in what??

May I quote you " I see you have reversed your diabetes, well done on that. Unfortunately I have zero chance of not being diabetic, I have it until I die."

This I took to mean the difference between Jim and your self and therefore T1 And T2 is you are diabetic for life and he is not.

I am not T1 same as Jim but I am diabetic for life and in all probability so is Jim, so being diabetic for life I think is not the difference so what is if in fact there is any real difference.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am not T1 same as Jim but I am diabetic for life and in all probability so is Jim, so being diabetic for life I think is not the difference so what is if in fact there is any real difference.

In my eyes a reversal of diabetes means no longer diabetic?? @Jim Lahey do you still class yourself as diabetic? John, you are still diabetic on your own admittance. I am diabetic for life with no chance of reversal. I have to take insulin to live, without it I die! And there lies the difference!

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my eyes a reversal of diabetes means no longer diabetic?? @Jim Lahey do you still class yourself as diabetic? John, you are still diabetic on your own admittance. I am diabetic for life with no chance of reversal. I have to take insulin to live, without it I die! And there lies the difference!

How different the difference feels to the person is very personal and different to each of us. For you it’s huge difference. For me for example having to inject insulin for rest of my life doesn’t creat that huge difference

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We may have different types, but management, for me, is essential too, unfortunately I don't always get it right and that is indeed bothersome and undesirable as well :rolleyes:

Edited.
My comment wasn’t meant to compare types. Just how I see my own situation.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My comment wasn’t meant to compare types. Just how I see my own situation.

No one implied otherwise and I certainly didn't, just how I view my management.

Reactions: HSSS
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How different the difference feels to the person is very personal and different to each of us. For you it’s huge difference. For me for example having to inject insulin for rest of my life doesn’t creat that huge difference

Yes, many do see it differently, as injecting Insulin forever is just a way of life, I would rather not have to do it, but until there is a less invasive way or a 'cure'................. we just do it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes and I am diabetic for life as I have to take prednisolone for the rest of my life and as MG can end your life in very short order for one thing I could die of asphyxiation if in a myasthenic crisis which can happen without warning at any time and that is why I take prednisolone and why I am diabetic also People who have had T2 have died of it being in remission does not mean you no longer have a disease it merely means it is in abeyance a T1 who takes insulin properly can eat carbohydrates with relative impunity does this mean in your mind he or she is not diabetic I keep my diabetes at bay for now by the judicious use of diet and meds and very tight restriction of calories but when I have to increase my dosage of preds all that goes out the window .

I have a stent in my abdominal aorta the aneurysm is still there even though the stent is preventing it from killing me what ever method used to control diabetes does not necessarily eliminate or cure it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BUT unless you have diabetes then there is no reason to learn about it....? So no one will have a clue on the differeing types of diabetes and the way we deal with them so very differently.

I do agree porl69 but I do wish those that have 'no reason' to learn about it keep their traps shut then instead of THINKING they know all about it and proceeding to tell us all what we should be doing. x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
BUT unless you have diabetes then there is no reason to learn about it....? So no one will have a clue on the differeing types of diabetes and the way we deal with them so very differently.
My wife has diabetes, and I don't!
I would be remiss not to learn about T2 and RH!

Another condition which is classed as Hypoglycaemia, but there are different types!
I have' 'Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia'
Up until the turn of the last decade, all the relevant Hypoglycaemia conditions were termed as 'Idiopathic Hypoglycaemia' because they didn't know why a non diabetic went hypo!

I have been classed as prediabetic, T2, mainly because my doctors didn't have a clue why, I was putting on weight, feeling awful, despite my hba1c and fasting levels were in normal range!!

I now have a true diagnosis, a quite rare one, it was of some relief to actually get that diagnosis. The hard battle of finding a treatment that helped control my blood glucose levels was the next big step.

As medical knowledge improves about how diabetes is diagnosed, and labels attached are changed because of how patients become diabetic, as has already begun. The differential diagnosis between those T2s, will help with treatment.

Having to battle with doctors to actually get someone who understood what was going on, was a big relief to me. After a decade, it did seem to me, that being passed on by these medical practitioners, I would never have the answers!
I was ill, and not one of the many doctors had a clue why!

A label, like I have helped me!

Do you know why you have diabetes?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’m not sure I really care! At the end of the day what matters is getting sugars back in range.
The only thing perhaps is the stigma and judgement attached to type 2. But then doesn’t matter what it’s called. Idiots will be idiots and will judge no matter what.

saw a great meme on Facebook the other day. It said something like ignorance was blamed on lack of access to information. That’s clearly not the reason!!
Very true.
People are people and cast stones like there is no tomorrow.
Changing the name won’t change anything.
My sister who is sports massage it’s studied nutrition. Every time I go home she starts rabbiting on about how diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar.
Changing the name is never going to change idiots like that

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Still think that all types of diebetes should have a different name
People have no idea on types of diabetes, I get told a lot that I dont look like a diabetic! And that is because the papers and social media portray diabetes as being overweight - please don't shoot me....I KNOW thats not correct!!

Those who know a little bit more assume that I am T1 because I am relatively slim.
[Delayed post because I got distracted.]

Reactions: porl69