to Miao Miao or not?

localshop

as the title suggests, would anyone that has bought a Miao Miao recomment it please? Any insights wecome :)

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes
It's great
Cant recommend it more highly!!
No more scanning.
Sends results to.phone every 5 mins
Worth every penny !

Reactions: localshop

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, definitely! I use the MiaoMiao2 with xDrip+ on a Google Pixel. I still scan a few times a day in the official app. Advantages to me:
  • Current glucose value and trend direction sent to phone automatically every 5~ minutes.
  • Current glucose value visible all the time using Always on Display (no unlocking my phone and opening the app to see the current value).
  • Calibrated glucose values (Libre sometimes reads a bit 'out').
  • Alarms for high and low glucose values.
  • Data syncs to Nightscout instance on the web (can view current data in any web browser).
I can't say that there is no battery impact, because using Bluetooth every 5 minutes throughout the day has to have some, but it is not atrocious and my phone is over 2 years old now and has some battery wear. I lose about 3%/hour on average.

localshop

I use Blucon its cheaper and never had a prob in 3 yrs ...i only went for cost tbh.
I use it with xdrip
oh heck another thing to think about! Thanks for mentioning that one. Looks good Ann, is it quite small? If it's a nice low profile it looks like it could be a better option than the MM2. Just wondering if either do more or less than the other?

Last edited:

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had Blucon before the MiaoMiao2 - yes it works, yes its stable but I found it more of a pain to keep over the sensor. I have a nice nifty 3D printed holder for the MiaoMiao2 from eBay which clips it directly onto the sensor. The Blucon also isn't water resistant unless you buy that version for a bit extra and needs the battery changing rather than rechargable.

Another thing to consider is current/future compatibility with Libre2 as it slowly replaces Libre1 sensors. The MiaoMiao (and 2) has already had one firmware update to introduce intial support for these. Not sure how Blucon is handling this.

Reactions: localshop

localshop

I had Blucon before the MiaoMiao2 - yes it works, yes its stable but I found it more of a pain to keep over the sensor. I have a nice nifty 3D printed holder for the MiaoMiao2 from eBay which clips it directly onto the sensor. The Blucon also isn't water resistant unless you buy that version for a bit extra and needs the battery changing rather than rechargable.

Another thing to consider is current/future compatibility with Libre2 as it slowly replaces Libre1 sensors. The MiaoMiao (and 2) has already had one firmware update to introduce intial support for these. Not sure how Blucon is handling this.
brilliant - very helpful and I think that's swayed me thank you

LilliCat

It's also worth considering a Bubble - mine has worked flawlessly and shipping is very quick (from Sweden).

It works on Libre 2 as well.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love the miaomiao!
Find that my iphone and apple watch batteries drain a bit faster, but not horrendously so.
Am using the Tomato app to go with my (elderly) apple bowl.

@db89 where on ebay did you get the holder?

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh i get all that... but im happy with blucon nightrider.. safe at present ..things are changing all the time i might need to eventually !...just keep the alarms going off thats all i want.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Miaomiao. Get one. You know you want too.

Phone battery. Probably no more than if you were using a set of BT headphones?
Actually? Come to think of it the phone is just accepting translations from the MM with the reader app running in the background.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ordered a MiaoMiao 2! Thanks everyone :)

You order from memory the MM, pads & armband holster. Will come as a well packaged bundle in a Jiffy bag.
The Miaomiao will be sort of "jelwery boxed" with the charging cable..

Tip,
keep an eye on your door's letter box slot. Lol, you may find it just wedged there..
I got a standard slot for letters to pass through but mine was a little too thick to pass all the way through..
But the flap on my door opens in on a spring as opposed to some that Spring out.

Welcome to the world of not contorting to wave your phone like a "Jedi." :)

Stage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please can I post some questions:
How about linking the MM with a smart watch for constant glucose updates direct to your wrist?
Any advice there?
Should we be able to buy the MM tax free?
How big is the MM? Looks like it's four times the size of the Libre patch so could be a bit bulky to hold on?

Last edited: