Labelling Diabetes

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally tell people that I have a problem with my blood sugar if I want to mention my condition. I never use the word diabetes. And leave it to people’s imagination :-D they normally don’t say anything back but understand that I have a blood sugar related medical condition. It works well for me. I have no expectation from people without diabetes to understand diabetes , regardless of what types.

D

Deleted member 308541

If you get upset with being labelled T2, tell people you are carbohydrate intolerant that will shut them up...

Reactions: HSSS

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you get upset with being labelled T2, tell people you are carbohydrate intolerant that will shut them up...

That is how I explain my condition, simply because it is!
Or, carbs make me ill!

Reactions: HSSS

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's simple for me. I just don't mention it..

"No thanks I don't do cake." Feign interest, "What sort is it?" "Nope, definately don't do them.."

Can I buy you a beer? "Diet Coke please, designated driver."
Diet Coke, are you gay??!!
"Yes, for the sake of argument. But don't worry. You're not my type." ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I feel calling diabetes Floris, Doris, Morris or Horace (apologies to all with those given names) isn't going to increase Joe Soap's appetite to learn about it, but nor will it stop him having an opinion or viewpoint.

I don't go around telling people I have diabetes, any more than I would go around telling people I have athlete's foot (although, thankfully, I don't at the moment). They're simply not interested, and if I have a handle on whatever it is I'm dealing with, I'm likely to find their daily newspaper, or husband's sister's aunty's advice irritating. Why would I want to volunteer to be irritated?

If I encounter someone who shares they are living with diabetes, I might ask them how they're getting on with it, and if they want to engage, I'll engage with them. If they don't want to engage, I'll respect that and move along to a different topic of conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled T1 isn't part of my life, and I am eternally grateful to have my condition in a good place at the moment. What does the future hold? Who knows, but having come back in from my morning stroll and having crossed a 4-lane each way road, where roadcraft rules have been made to be ignored it seems, I'll take each good day as it comes, and hope tomorrow mirrors it.

I bet there isn't one of us on this forum who doesn't have something that's pretty rubbish in their lives. Not necessarily a health thing, but something. Life happens that way.

In here, we have a place where there are people who understand how it is to live with this condition - whichever type has befallen us. It would be rather good if we could concentrate on the supporting part and leave the labelling, and apparent somehow ranking at the door.

Reactions: Antje77

Hotpepper20000

In here, we have a place where there are people who understand how it is to live with this condition - whichever type has befallen us. It would be rather good if we could concentrate on the supporting part and leave the labelling, and apparent somehow ranking at the door.
Well said!

sbnz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Now I wish I could name my diabetes something bad **s... T2 is lame indeed.
Ha ha - great idea, I'm fully for people starting new trends or word labels...go for it..what could get broken.? You could name it JoKalsbeek or Snoopy or whatever...what you are trying to communicate with it or who you wish to connect with will be affected of course, but why not have some fun with it too?