Missed Doses

DBurns

I am on business travel until Saturday 2/22 and accidentally froze my victoza. I googled it and it said not to use it and to discard it. Which means I will be without for 2 doses. Will I be okay if I miss two doses?

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Don’t eat any carbs... when I’ve been out and not got my insulin with me I just make sure that I don’t eat any carbs. For one meal that’s ok, longer than that I couldn’t offer any suggestions.
I personally might be persuaded to use the insulin, though again I can’t advise you.

Reactions: porl69

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on business travel until Saturday 2/22 and accidentally froze my victoza. I googled it and it said not to use it and to discard it. Which means I will be without for 2 doses. Will I be okay if I miss two doses?
Hi @DBurns , and welcome to the forum.
I don't know anything about victoza, but can't you get it from a local pharmacy? When I forgot my insulin it was no problem to obtain it somewhere else.

DBurns

Don’t eat any carbs... when I’ve been out and not got my insulin with me I just make sure that I don’t eat any carbs. For one meal that’s ok, longer than that I couldn’t offer any suggestions.
I personally might be persuaded to use the insulin, though again I can’t advise you.
Thank you for replying. I was extra careful about my carbs today.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Victoza is not an insulin. Though protein with low carbing will eventually convert to BG sugar.

@DBurns , welcome to the forum.
I can't advise on the drug. But I will tag in @DavidGrahamJones who I believe has had some experience with the meds in the past? With luck he can impart some advice.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DBurns -This slite always had useful information on medications, and is reviewedd, medically, regularly: https://www.drugs.com/victoza.html

It's advice on missing doses, on the same page is:

upload_2020-2-21_5-31-34.png

I hope that helps.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I can't advise on the drug. But I will tag in @DavidGrahamJones who I believe has had some experience with the meds in the past? With luck he can impart some advice.

As you say Jaylee, it isn't insulin. Although the aim is to take the same dose regularly, I did forget once or twice. It works by controlling the following things.

1. When food exits your stomach too quickly after you eat, your blood sugar levels can rise out of range.
2. When your liver makes too much sugar, your blood sugar can get too high.
3. When your blood sugar is too high, your pancreas needs to make additional insulin to help regulate your blood sugar levels.

I found that it didn't alter my ability to lose weight, in fact I gained. It was brilliant at flattening out the dawn phenomena (2) and did help control my BG but encouraged me to have a bit more carb again. After 6 months I decided that the constant indigestion, burping, constipation and the £100 a month cost to the NHS wasn't worth the small benefit.

It's worth baring in mind that when I say these things I have reacted adversely to several drugs over the years and the potential pancreas problems is also something I didn't want to chance any more.

It certainly does what it says on the tin. NB Weight loss is not what it's prescribed for. The same drug with a different trade name and a higher cost can be prescribed at a higher dose for weight loss.