Scar tissue build up?

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Ladies may be more able to comment on this, so lads be warned!

I feel i have quite a nice figure at the minute - but i have what i call "a ledge". This is the area especially on either side of my belly button and a little further down, where i have been injecting for 12-13 years. I call it a ledge because the rest of my belly is quite flat, that bit just really sticks out.

Question - is this just flab, which i should be able to lose with exercise? Or might scar tissue build up from repeated injections in the area? I'm noticing more insulin lumps as i inject recently (after i take the needle out) and try to massage them to get the insulin to absorb better.

I have another area like this - there seems to be a bump that doesn't look normal, but feels totally normal. This is in an area where i used to inject frequently but no longer do.

This post may seem vain, but i'm curious. Do i just need to get to the gym (highly plausible) or do i need to rotate sites a lot more? If anyone has a suggestion to reduce scar tissue, much appreciated :D
I can quite relate to the ‘ledge’ and I am a slim lad of 66 on insulin for 45 years. The ledge does stick out embarrassingly in a T shirt in summer!

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can quite relate to the ‘ledge’ and I am a slim lad of 66 on insulin for 45 years. The ledge does stick out embarrassingly in a T shirt in summer!
Just to add, I have always rotated my sites and I have never been asked about my injection sites at any consultation over the years.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add, I have always rotated my sites and I have never been asked about my injection sites at any consultation over the years.

They should do, guess they are cutting corners there. Mine always asks and even inspects them every now and then.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They should do, guess they are cutting corners there. Mine always asks and even inspects them every now and then.
I shall remember to bring it up at the next consultation but I don’t expect it to go beyond the usual advice to rotate the injection sites. It’s similar with the feet. When I mentioned feet the doctor asked me to remove my socks and asked if I felt the cold floor. When I said yes, that was it!

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I shall remember to bring it up at the next consultation but I don’t expect it to go beyond the usual advice to rotate the injection sites. It’s similar with the feet. When I mentioned feet the doctor asked me to remove my socks and asked if I felt the cold floor. When I said yes, that was it!
I'm definitely asking DSN to have a look at injection sites. I have minor issues with my feet anyways, but i don't need anyone to tell me that again ha! Whenever i've had them checked up they prod different places with a little stick thing and ask if i can feel it. I always can, so nothing for the to worry about :) you need to see a proper podiatrist for that.

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
Hi everyone!

Ladies may be more able to comment on this, so lads be warned!

I feel i have quite a nice figure at the minute - but i have what i call "a ledge". This is the area especially on either side of my belly button and a little further down, where i have been injecting for 12-13 years. I call it a ledge because the rest of my belly is quite flat, that bit just really sticks out.

Question - is this just flab, which i should be able to lose with exercise? Or might scar tissue build up from repeated injections in the area? I'm noticing more insulin lumps as i inject recently (after i take the needle out) and try to massage them to get the insulin to absorb better.

I have another area like this - there seems to be a bump that doesn't look normal, but feels totally normal. This is in an area where i used to inject frequently but no longer do.

This post may seem vain, but i'm curious. Do i just need to get to the gym (highly plausible) or do i need to rotate sites a lot more? If anyone has a suggestion to reduce scar tissue, much appreciated :D
Hi Shannon. You really seem to be describing lipohypertrophy. As others have said on here you should rotate your injection sites. Slower acting insulin is probably best injected into your bum, nice fleshy area. Faster acting insulin probably best down the front upper sides of your legs. I've now been T1 for 51 years but approx. 30 years ago I was told to stop injecting (and never to again) in my upper arms due to the thickness of the swelling around the area where I injected. I have followed this advice and now use a variety of sites without a repeat of the problem. You will notice a difference in your BS control when you change sites and possibly a reduction in your insulin levels. Happy days.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I will have been type 1 for 20 years next year. Probably for the first 15 years I injected into my stomach. It was abnormal and I referred to it as my ski slope. It was lipohypertrophy. I took the advice of my consultant and DSN and stopped injecting there, two years later and absolutely no change. I paid privately to have liposuction due to resistance from my diabetic team to give any support. Best decision I ever made. I’ve uploaded a before pic and one week post surgery. View attachment 38791
Did you go back to injecting into the abdomen?
If so what is the absorption like?
Approx cost of liposuction please?