Type 1'stars R Us

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone ever get used to being diabetic?

How do you stay sane when you have days that you constantly hungry. Never feeling full or satisfied

Constant headaches, confusion, head rushes, depression & anxiety hallucinating odd shapes or blurs in the corner of your eyes or better yet, becoming extremely aware of certain objects around you that make you jump

And my favourite one of all, never feeling rested, no matter how much you sleep.

At this point it don't even sound like a medical Condition, It sounds like Someone pi**** off everyone at Mount Olympus and got struck with every curse they threw at you

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Fab meeting at Worcs last night, lovely to see a new face and to catch up with @MeiChanski hope you can make the next huddle on the 19th March @Jaylee

Had my first DP this morning in ages, graph went up from 3am hitting 14.4 by the time I woke up, so trying to tame the beast now !!!!

Reactions: MeiChanski

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello @Razzamuffin Not sure any of us oldies get used to it, can't speak for those diagnosed as children. However we learn to live with it and find ways to cope better and lead healthy full lives, my mantra has been exercise and low carb as i'm not a fan of injecting cast amounts of insulin to cover 'normal' food. I think i've said to you before, knowledge is power so read up, get educated as this is your best way of coping with the condition and being prepared mentally, and of course keep talking to us about your daily life, it helps to unload the burden :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I missed you guys tonight but the support of my wife is parramount. Yep, we picked out some solid frames at a 6pm optician closing, (wifey already had the scrypt from a recent test.) then. Lol went veggie Indian.. BGs faired pretty well. Not the usual amount I bolus for.

A kinked cannula? I'm finding these 4mm pen needles lacking too.. What do you think these jokers are doing in production.?

Give me the good ol days of knitting needles..

We missed you too, you missed out on a good cookie giveaway Yes, even my bf can’t agree to other plans if I have asked him to hang out with me. It’s 2020 and these issues should have been solved I don’t know which post or who posted it but I think someone said someone or a company is coming out with something either new cannula or something else that doesn’t kink or bend. (Other than steel cannulas)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

How do you stay sane when you have days that you constantly hungry. Never feeling full or satisfied

Constant headaches, confusion, head rushes, depression & anxiety hallucinating odd shapes or blurs in the corner of your eyes or better yet, becoming extremely aware of certain objects around you that make you jump

And my favourite one of all, never feeling rested, no matter how much you sleep.

At this point it don't even sound like a medical Condition, It sounds like Someone pi**** off everyone at Mount Olympus and got struck with every curse they threw at you

Not use to it but use to its tantrums, attention and never lasting needs of insulin. If you are constantly hungry, have you looked at what you’ve been eating and keeping a food diary? I was quite hungry as a kid but as time went on, I’m less hungry (depending when I get PMS though). There is mental health help available for type 1s so you can pop in a word with your team or GP.

Welcome btw!

Reactions: Razzamuffin

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Razzamuffin Not sure any of us oldies get used to it, can't speak for those diagnosed as children. However we learn to live with it and find ways to cope better and lead healthy full lives, my mantra has been exercise and low carb as i'm not a fan of injecting cast amounts of insulin to cover 'normal' food. I think i've said to you before, knowledge is power so read up, get educated as this is your best way of coping with the condition and being prepared mentally, and of course keep talking to us about your daily life, it helps to unload the burden :)

Done all that education stuff carb counting has no benefit to me right now as I'm on a low carb diet anyway and foods spikes are not an issue , I changed diet a year in advance before ever being diagnosed, and I'm pleased to say I don't need to change my diet, just need to add in foods to keep sugar up as I'm hypo alot lol

And I cut out foods that are non consistent with insulin doses less headache that way.

As for exercise..... Yeah never going to happen I'm a couch Potato in the winter LOL!!!

Reactions: porl69

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Can't say I've gotten used to being diabetic (I'm 3 years in), but for me it's not at all the nightmare it seems to be for you. It's more of a slight annoyance to me usually, mainly about always having to deal with it, rather like an annoying toddler following you around and demanding your attention.
I expect it would feel very different to me if my diabetes came with all the problems you are having with your diabetes, sounds like you're having a very hard time with it.

Have you spoken with your diabetes nurse or GP about the problems you're experiencing? Having diabetes doesn't usually mean you're more hungry than non-diabetics, or having constant headaches and confusion or never feel rested.

Wish you all the best!

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not use to it but use to its tantrums, attention and never lasting needs of insulin. If you are constantly hungry, have you looked at what you’ve been eating and keeping a food diary? I was quite hungry as a kid but as time went on, I’m less hungry (depending when I get PMS though). There is mental health help available for type 1s so you can pop in a word with your team or GP.

Welcome btw!

Nah i didnt bother with a food diary, am only constantly hungry at times because of my rapid shots :) the beginning was worse though, I kinda follow the Paleo rule when it comes to food and hunger , just up fat intake. Seems to help

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
We missed you too, you missed out on a good cookie giveaway Yes, even my bf can’t agree to other plans if I have asked him to hang out with me. It’s 2020 and these issues should have been solved I don’t know which post or who posted it but I think someone said someone or a company is coming out with something either new cannula or something else that doesn’t kink or bend. (Other than steel cannulas)

Have just done a bolus - now i'm back into single figures again - waiting for levels to start falling then going to eat that cookie !!

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't say I've gotten used to being diabetic (I'm 3 years in), but for me it's not at all the nightmare it seems to be for you. It's more of a slight annoyance to me usually, mainly about always having to deal with it, rather like an annoying toddler following you around and demanding your attention.
I expect it would feel very different to me if my diabetes came with all the problems you are having with your diabetes, sounds like you're having a very hard time with it.

Have you spoken with your diabetes nurse or GP about the problems you're experiencing? Having diabetes doesn't usually mean you're more hungry than non-diabetics, or having constant headaches and confusion or never feel rested.

Wish you all the best!

Have not spoken with diabetes team at all my first appointment is on the 28th though,
But the symptoms I've had are all persistent atm my blood sugar levels are stable :)

Have you asked about changing your insulin doseage?

Have already been given the Go ahead to freely mess about with it, Ive lowered all of my insulin dosages :) i found the right level of units to avoid hypo in the last 24 hrs

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Razzamuffin I agree with Antje - if you're hypoing alot then you need to review your insulin doses with your team.

I kept a diary when I was first diagnosed so I could see patterns and work things out for myself, it was an easy way to detect consistent patterns which I could associate with my dosing then make changes.

Having an outlet whether creative, physical or mental is vital for well being when living with a health condition, you need something that will take your mind off your diabetes and something you enjoy doing so you have some form of escapism, it's the relentlessness which can wear you down.

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Razzamuffin I agree with Antje - if you're hypoing alot then you need to review your insulin doses with your team.

I kept a diary when I was first diagnosed so I could see patterns and work things out for myself, it was an easy way to detect consistent patterns which I could associate with my dosing then make changes.

Having an outlet whether creative, physical or mental is vital for well being when living with a health condition, you need something that will take your mind off your diabetes and something you enjoy doing so you have some form of escapism, it's the relentlessness which can wear you down.

Will do the review soon, first ones coming up :)

I've just been winging it at this point, i mean things have improved big time, theres that honeymoon phase going on too so you know, calm before the storm.

As for a form of escapism. Well ahead of you, Gaming, Netflix, Binge watching series etc Hence Couch Potato lol

Thankyou!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Razzamuffin I'll be honest it sounds like you're doing incredibly well, you're informed and fine tuning it.

I also binge watch Netflix too, but keep that one quiet, I like everyone to think I am sporty running giraffe instead lol !!

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Razzamuffin I'll be honest it sounds like you're doing incredibly well, you're informed and fine tuning it.

I also binge watch Netflix too, but keep that one quiet, I like everyone to think I am sporty running giraffe instead lol !!
LOL Im not a fan of exercise, i had alot more going on before this.

But I do have a question, How long does it usually take before things fully settle? And what kind of jobs Do I stay away from?

Reactions: Juicyj

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Afternoon all

@Razzamuffin I was diagnosed at 4 1/2 years old, so diabetes is all I have ever known. I guess I am used to it, still hate it every now and again mind. As Juicy has said you are doing really well with it so far....keep that up :)
@Juicyj and @MeiChanski Worcs isnt that far away from me....may pop in on the next meet up?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fab meeting at Worcs last night, lovely to see a new face and to catch up with @MeiChanski hope you can make the next huddle on the 19th March @Jaylee

Had my first DP this morning in ages, graph went up from 3am hitting 14.4 by the time I woke up, so trying to tame the beast now !!!!

Hi,

Yep, I'm up for another meet.

Last night was one of those things we do where my wife & I go trying on frames. She needed a new pair.
Lucky she already had the script. The optiitions down the road from where she works was open till 6pm.
So, it looked like a "date," we met up after work, sorted the frame style, measurements for the lenses & wot not. Ordered them

Then took a stroll to an Indian vegitarian resteraunt for a North Indian Thali.. Substituting what was described as a "rice pudding" part of the sweet. for something a little more savory on this Smörgåsbord I was faced with..

Lovely romantic environment..in an older part of the city where we first met. :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@porl69 You should come to our next one - was it the lure of free cookies ? :hilarious:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
But I do have a question, How long does it usually take before things fully settle? And what kind of jobs Do I stay away from?
emoji23.png

I found things were easier after the honeymoon was over, I could settle into my routine more with doses and ratios, I think mine lasted around a year. As for jobs, well anything is possible, however what's practical for you is your call ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL Im not a fan of exercise, i had alot more going on before this.

My feelings are "sport" is the demonstration of physical prowes bassed on the art of hunting & warfare..

So unless I'm getting paid to run about? I've no other competitive incentive..

Diagnosed as a kid.
I've done a fair few jobs over the years regardless of diabetes.

I've stayed away from stuff like brain surgeon & university lecturer, purely through lack of the academic.. ;)

The job front is your call. I've found most employers don't give a hoot about the diabetes as long as yer reliable with a reasonable work ethic.. :)