How do I fast and still take my Metformin?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
I gave myself a really messed-up day yesterday. This resulted in me missing taking my Metformin and, whilst not eating, in a 18 hour fast. I did a test during this and I was 8.1. So, during an insomniac, restless night:

3:18 ≈ 7.3
6:16 ≈ 9.0
8:35 ≈ 8.2

Ouch! I didn’t eat because there hadn’t been an opportunity to do so, actually I didn’t feel hungry either. During this self-induced fast I had an 8.1. I wasn’t light-headed. Eh?

Out of this came a realisation for me: How do I Fast and take my medication, Metformin?

Reactions: Rachox

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to take home made bone broth before taking the met.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have none of the toilet issues with met you can take it without food. I have no problems with it and often take it without any food - metformin doesn’t work with the food you’re eating the advice to take it with food is basically just to help with the common effect it has on some peoples bowels

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
metformin doesn’t work with the food you’re eating the advice to take it with food is basically just to help with the common effect it has on some peoples bowels
Yes, I understand that. It’s more about understanding just how the Met affects my numbers whilst on a fast? I was messed up during that day and hadn’t gotten to eat AND didn’t take my Met. Where or rather how do I get high spikes even though I hadn’t eaten? Am I doing a service to my Liver by getting more glucose liberated from it? I’m most likely conflating two variables that either can’t be reconciled or that the variables aren’t contingent on each other to begin with. I find this mildly confusing. However, not confusing enough not to get back “with the program”, so to speak.

And again, I’m a diabetic and my name is Estragon. :)