Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon all. That’s uni finished until after Easter now, last of the exams this morning. Embarrassingly my high glucose alarm went off after a bit of an adrenaline spike, just my phone buzzing in my bag rather than Spike yelling “HIGH GLUCOSE!!” at the top of it’s digital lungs... Dosed insulin from my watch to kill it and carried on. Amusingly I was working on a question about insulin doses at the time... Running a steady 5.6 now :)

Sat at home feeling a little weird, essay submitted, exams all done and nothing hanging over me except the house is a complete ****-hole at the moment. And I REALLY don’t want to be dealing with that just now. Might hit Netflix and do some knitting. I have a sock to finish.

@Razzamuffin - I think you do get used to it after a while. It’s just how life is now. I was diagnosed at 23 and spent the best part of two decades resenting it, ignoring it, and generally not coping well. I’ve finally accepted it now, and while the odd flash of anger about it rears it’s ugly head, I do feel that now I’ve grabbed it by the short and curlies and I’m not letting it rule my life any more. You can’t fight it, you have to work with it.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, everything pretty steady here at the moment.

@Razzamuffin I agree with @Juicyj, the honeymoon period means your pancreas is still spitting out unpredictable bits of insulin which can make managing diabetes a nightmare. Diagnosed 34ish years ago so don't remember how long it lasted for me, but life was defo easier once it was over. There are days when I don't think that much about diabetes as I just go through the routines, albeit they're tedious; there are other (fewer) days when I resent never having a day off. That's when I try to remember that there are other long-term conditions that would limit my lifestyle in ways I'd really struggle to cope with. Don't always manage to make myself feel better on those days, and I get fed up with people who make assumptions about diabetes and have no idea how much work is actually involved in calculating all the time and being prepared for hypos and all the rest of it. But it hasn't stopped me doing anything I've wanted to in all that time. It will improve for you, honest!

Reactions: Razzamuffin
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning, Back to work now, sailing around new zealand. Managing T1 offshore has its own challenges :O

Hi and a big welcome to the forum @Coopsy91 :)
I love being by the water, I love rivers, canals, lakes and gazing out to sea, but it is so vast :wideyed: so maybe it's down to me having the water sign, Pisces :)
Take care :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon all

@Razzamuffin I was diagnosed at 4 1/2 years old, so diabetes is all I have ever known. I guess I am used to it, still hate it every now and again mind. As Juicy has said you are doing really well with it so far....keep that up :)
@Juicyj and @MeiChanski Worcs isnt that far away from me....may pop in on the next meet up?

That would be amazing, I’d love to see you. Come along and next round is in March, it needs to be confirmed though.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My glucometre already has that function, the past 7 days average is 7.4, 30 day average is 7.7, I havnt hit 90 days yet so it's just copying my 30 day average at 7.7 lol
Is that actually an HbA1c function on your glucometer, or just an average of your readings? They're two different numbers. Blood glucose on a home meter is measured in mmol/l and HbA1c in mmol/mol (some other countries quote it as a percentage figure, there's plenty of conversion tables online) - and it's measured from venous blood taken at your clinic or GP surgery and sent away for analysis. Because glucose binds irreversibly to the haemoglobin of the red blood cells, and they have an average lifespan of 90 days, it gives an indication of your control over the last three months. Aka the "lie detector" test :D Ideally for a type one they like it to be around 50 or so. We're supposed to have one at least annually in the UK.

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that actually an HbA1c function on your glucometer, or just an average of your readings? They're two different numbers. Blood glucose on a home meter is measured in mmol/l and HbA1c in mmol/mol (some other countries quote it as a percentage figure, there's plenty of conversion tables online) - and it's measured from venous blood taken at your clinic or GP surgery and sent away for analysis. Because glucose binds irreversibly to the haemoglobin of the red blood cells, and they have an average lifespan of 90 days, it gives an indication of your control over the last three months. Aka the "lie detector" test :D Ideally for a type one they like it to be around 50 or so. We're supposed to have one at least annually in the UK.

Wait theres more blood tests? My metre just gives me an average reading of blood glucose levels in mmol/L

I dont want anymore tests, not after that horrible episode in hospital, my veins ran away from them needles and they needed to take blood from the arteries in the wrists!!!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait theres more blood tests? My metre just gives me an average reading of blood glucose levels in mmol/L

I dont want anymore tests, not after that horrible episode in hospital, my veins ran away from them needles and they needed to take blood from the arteries in the wrists!!!!
Erm, I don't want to be a killjoy but diabetics usually have their blood taken every 3 to 6 months...
At the least they'll check hba1c and kidney function, often tests for cholesterol, vitamin D and B, thyroid or liver function are included as well.
Sorry.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Does anyone ever get used to being diabetic?

How do you stay sane when you have days that you constantly hungry. Never feeling full or satisfied

Constant headaches, confusion, head rushes, depression & anxiety hallucinating odd shapes or blurs in the corner of your eyes or better yet, becoming extremely aware of certain objects around you that make you jump

And my favourite one of all, never feeling rested, no matter how much you sleep.

At this point it don't even sound like a medical Condition, It sounds like Someone pi**** off everyone at Mount Olympus and got struck with every curse they threw at you
Hi @Razzamuffin I am getting used to having diabetes a bit.. 2 and some months now. I stopped saying I'm a diabetic because this seems to label me.... I am more than a disease. I eat loads and am sometimes so full my belly aches, quantity of yums. I can give you some food ideas and there are lots on the other forum too.
Not sure about the headaches and stuff but I do get fed up at the constant pricking and poking but I mostly sleep OK.
I don't know what to say really, suppose it might depend on how long since you were diagnosed.
Anyway, hope Friday finds you in fine form, sleep well
Sue

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Erm, I don't want to be a killjoy but diabetics usually have their blood taken every 3 to 6 months...
At the least they'll check hba1c and kidney function, often tests for cholesterol, vitamin D and B, thyroid or liver function are included as well.
Sorry.

Hba1c I kinda get. But why the rest?

Hi @Razzamuffin you do get used to having diabetes. I stopped saying I'm a diabetic because this seems to label me.... I am more than a disease. I eat loads and am sometimes so full my belly aches, quantity of yums. I can give you some food ideas and there are lots on the other forum too.
Not sure about the headaches and stuff but I do get fed up but sleep OK.
I don't know what to say really, suppose it might depend on how long since you were diagnosed.
Anyway, hope Friday finds you in fine form, sleep well
Sue

Diagnosed on new years, so its been a massive change with health, definitely headaches, having a bottomless pit
And other things lol.

Atm I'm trying to just immerse myself in to gaming and binge on Netflix.

I don't know too much going on.
But today is going ok.