What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Have been absent for quite a while -- missed you all. Was very busy with work and a cold, followed by another cold. Unfortunately, couldn't take off work as it was final exam period (lack of rest probably didn't help). Now on semester break, but still have a bit of grading to be done. Glad to be back.

@Goonergal and @mouseee -- Keeping my fingers crossed for your blood tests, you'll both do great, I am sure.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with erythritol and cream. Celeriac mash with butter and potato fiber. Steak with mushroom, spring onion, and creme fraiche.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Out for a glass of red wine, a bunless Big King XXL on the way home. Unfortunately still hungry after this (don't really know why after a huge burger, but there it is). So, a chicken wiener, followed by 50g of 85% chocolate and another glass of red wine.

Turned out to be just below 30g of carbs for the day -- slightly more carbs than usual, but blood sugars were fine all day.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with the vampire visit @Goonergal. Those ribs looked great by the way. @Brunneria - brought back memories of my early days of online shopping - I've had one carrot and one onion delivered. It was always the substitutes that got me. Some you could see the logic, others not! Like the time they sent a can opener. I'd ordered kitchen roll!!
Thursday 20 February bed 6.1 FBG 5.7. Arrival of the little people. Got them off to school as normal then took Mum & Dad to the train station. Weather is still vile. I wish they would stop changing the flaming roads in Edinburgh. Go your usual back road route to Waverley only to discover - no, no way you can't go down here any more. Eventually got back and set Hubby to work making broth as it was really cold and horizontal sleet. Boys were ecstatic later to discover it was broth and cheesy bread for them.
B. TAG
L. Nothing - running about, getting boys in from school and sorting out menu selection. Didn't get into Aqua today - just as well.
D. Had 3 walnuts while I was waiting but it was the LC Chicken parmesan @DJC3 had earlier this week. I added some wilted spinach. While having this I was multi tasking hanging up tomorrow's school clothes, getting boys off to bed, reading stories, scraping mud of shoes and polishing and washing their jackets which looked as if they'd gone a few rounds of mud wrestling. I retired for an early night.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today :

Breakfast : 2 fried eggs and a tiny pice of bf’s cake leftover ( still have it )

Lunch : a small pice of chicken , a bit of spinach and kaffir yogurt

Snack : made the mistake of having kaffir drink ( need probiotics since I had antibiotics). It gave me a big spike

Dinner : will have only salad to compensate for the kaffir drink.

- might cancel our trip to Mediterranean due to Coronavirus . I’m sad .

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today :

Breakfast : 2 fried eggs and a tiny pice of bf’s cake leftover ( still have it )

Lunch : a small pice of chicken , a bit of spinach and kaffir yogurt

Snack : made the mistake of having kaffir drink ( need probiotics since I had antibiotics). It gave me a big spike

Dinner : will have only salad to compensate for the kaffir drink.

- might cancel our trip to Mediterranean due to Coronavirus . I’m sad .
Try going to a chemist and getting some probiotic capsules, they seem to help me, won't cause spikes.

Winnie-the-Pooh

IMG_5031.jpg

My salad dinner !

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

B: bone broth and bovril, then small lc hc
L: steak
D: pork ribs

ordered 2kg of meaty ribs for delivery (4x500g).
Unfortunately this was lost in translation, and just 4 ribs were delivered. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
So I had them in one meal, IPed then rubbed, then ovened.

normally, I would have batch cooked all the ribs, rubbed them, bagged them in portions, and then frozen, ready to absorb flavours while defrosting, then bop each meal in oven. Oh well, next week. ;)

Don't you airfry the ribs? I would have thought that would be perfect.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now there's a good reason to only do sandwiches in your restaurant!

Fried a mixture of onion, bell pepper and vegetarian doner/shoarma/kebab (not sure what it's called where you live, it was the Vivera stuff. 20 gr carbs per 100 gram if I remember correctly, and I think I used between 50 and 100 grams). I like it better than the meat variety from the supermarket. Not having a good place to get shoarma, or doner is one of the very few things I miss from not living in the city anymore.
Filled a low carb wrap with it and added the leftover salad from yesterday, smokey sriracha and lots of garlic sauce (mayo, garlic, a little water).
Yum!

And again, yesterdays cutlery in the picture :banghead: Except it looks like there are 2 forks, which means there's 2 days worth of cutlery there, by now joined by todays knife and spoon :bag:.
I'll do the dishes tomorrow, promise!

87174356_10219898836775650_5566792315906818048_o.jpg

How about this one?

https://www.carbmanager.com/recipe/keto-doner-kebab

Reactions: Antje77 and ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks ! I tried a few brands of capsules and they all made me nauseous. That is why I tried the drinks . I might try the yogurt. It might help . Have you tried kafir yogurt ?

Why not make your own Keffir. It's super-simple and once you have grains, you can keep it going.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be nice . I just found kaffir grains on internet ! Will give it a try

It's very, very easy. It gets better as they are used.

I have some grains in the freezer, I have some vacuum packed, and some just in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. It'll be interesting to see how they have survived after 3 months without activity.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks (I think) That image and the recipe/whole site look promising - no cream cheese in the pitta is a bonus. I/we keep trying these recipes y'all seem to enjoy but they almost never look like the images or taste very appealing to me/us. Julie is becoming a tad? (very) discouraged - what am I doing wrong? - she really wants to help We will try this but I dread her disappointment if this is yet another waste of time, effort and food. Serious disposal of food/ingredients in the move hammered home that message. Thanks for the links though. I guess it is better to travel in hope and all that but very apprehensive. Obviously I could do the cooking myself but a) experience teaches that it would just make Julie feel even worse. I would just stick to salad and skinny bread with some form of egg/avocado combo to save any hassle. The next foray into lc/keto recipes really needs to work on all 3 levels - looks, taste and bg. Crispy omelette came at the right time - it looked the same and chorizo made it "work" Are we the only ones who still struggle after nearly 5 years?

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks (I think) That image and the recipe/whole site look promising - no cream cheese in the pitta is a bonus. I/we keep trying these recipes y'all seem to enjoy but they almost never look like the images or taste very appealing to me/us. Julie is becoming a tad? (very) discouraged - what am I doing wrong? - she really wants to help We will try this but I dread her disappointment if this is yet another waste of time, effort and food. Serious disposal of food/ingredients in the move hammered home that message. Thanks for the links though. I guess it is better to travel in hope and all that but very apprehensive. Obviously I could do the cooking myself but a) experience teaches that it would just make Julie feel even worse. I would just stick to salad and skinny bread with some form of egg/avocado combo to save any hassle. The next foray into lc/keto recipes really needs to work on all 3 levels - looks, taste and bg. Crispy omelette came at the right time - it looked the same and chorizo made it "work" Are we the only ones who still struggle after nearly 5 years?

Well, Ian, if I am to be completely frank, if after all that's time, I still hadn't found a lifestyle that suited me, to live well and comfortably, I'd be investigating others - even if that involved meds.

From observation, I also think, in terms of your blood numbers, you are seeking perfection, where it likely doesn't exist, consistently for any of us.

Sorry if that's blunt, but your sign off rather invited feedback.

I hope you're both settling into the new house and moving towards it being home.

Last edited:
Reactions: shelley262 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, Ian, if I am to be completely frank, if after all that's time, I still hadn't found a lifestyle that suited my, to live well and comfortably, I'd be investigating others - even if that involved meds.

From observation, i also think, in terms of your blood numbers, you are seeking perfection, where it likely doesn't exist, consistently for any of us.

Sorry if that's blunt, but your sign off rather invited feedback.

I hope you're both settling into the new house and moving towards it being home.
Not blunt and there are some points I need to consider. I think maybe LC/keto is over hyped on here whilst I am looking for things it will never deliver. Your reply was temperate but we both have our biases and paradigms to factor in so all is good. It did take me far longer than 5 years to arrive at teaching methods and batting style that worked best for me.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally, Friday 21 - Bed 5.6 FBG 5.2. Crazy morning feeding the munchkins and getting them ready for school, debating "white" rice crispies that don't taste the same as they remember and why No 2 cannot eat square bits of cereal as they are yucky and do not taste the same as round bits. Add in doing a repair job on No. 1's jumper which he managed to catch and still get them out into horizontal sleet yet again. Nipped up to M&S after depositing them in school as No 1 wanted his most favourite sandwich ever since he was at ours. No 2 just wanted yet more broth! Back, made a pasta meatball bake for Hubby & the munchkins later then away again to collect from school. Post lunch I had 2 hours in the swimming pool with them but friends were there too. They spoke to Mum & Dad, asked if they were having a nice time then told them they could stay away longer if they liked
B. TAG
L. Somehow I managed to fit in the microwaved remains of yesterday's Parmesan Chicken before swimming.
D. Zoodles carbonara which was quick to make and eat inbetween sorting out the evening routine.
After swimming we visited the library and got yet more books so the day ended with Persephone and the pomegranate seeds (that Hades is a mean guy according to No 2) and Jason & the Argonauts.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks very good, I'll have to get ground lamb one of these days. The only problem I see is saving the baked meat long enough to put in on a pitta or wrap. I mean, if something like this emerged from my oven I don't think I could resist just eating it as it is :hilarious:
35fda8bf-ca61-91ca-ec61-e24f9b3b37c4.jpeg

Let me whisper this, quietly in your ear.

It is possible to slice meat, wrap it, then put it in that really cold place we call the deep freeze. Sometimes, it's just gotta be done.

Alternatively, you could just have a day or two of complete gluttony. :).

It wouldn't be great for packed lunches, travelling, casual entertaining, the BBQ (we can temp control ours), and I reckon I could do it on the rotisserie element of the air fryer. You know you want one. ;)

Reactions: Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the subject of air fryers/gadgets, in one of my carni Facebook groups someone has posted about the interchangeability of accessories between the IP 6L and the large Ninja airfryer. Pics shamelessly pinched.

A3DD3DF8-E173-41C8-989A-E273CDE8B966.jpeg
5CDDCCCE-C045-4B83-9ED8-8ECA41401C0F.jpeg

Reactions: ziggy_w