Coffee mate does it spike blood sugars

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just about to take my blood sugar before lunch reading.....I was shocked as I hadn't eaten anything since 6am this morning .6 hours gap I just has a cup of coffee with 2 teaspoons coffee mate .....my blood reading was high 10
Could this be the coffeemate......any alternatives?

T2 diabetic

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee mate is 57% carb and full of not very nice stuff..
Screenshot 2020-02-21 at 13.05.42.png

Looking at food labels is a great idea.

M

Member496333

In Coffee Mate's defence, there is very likely an element of persistent dawn phenomenon at work in this instance. You don't have to eat anything for blood glucose to rise. It is high carb but is used in small portions so probably doesn't account entirely for such a sharp rise in BG.

But that aside, as @bulkbiker rightly points out, it's still not very nice stuff in terms of its ingredients. I wouldn't touch it. Another vote for double cream.

20sunshine20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just about to take my blood sugar before lunch reading.....I was shocked as I hadn't eaten anything since 6am this morning .6 hours gap I just has a cup of coffee with 2 teaspoons coffee mate .....my blood reading was high 10
Could this be the coffeemate......any alternatives?

T2 diabetic
I have realized my beloved powdered Coffee-mate really raises my blood sugar, too.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve used coffee machines at work that use a derivative of this stuff.. I have also been using a Libre for a few years.
Normally I take a few drops of milk at home.

Lol, the results on the sensor on the work coffee have been astonishing with no other carb digested..
I take mine black now..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The only thing use is cream or whole milk both far less likely to spike you than the awful tasting coffeemate.

Reactions: MissMuffett

20sunshine20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve used coffee machines at work that use a derivative of this stuff.. I have also been using a Libre for a few years.
Normally I take a few drops of milk at home.

Lol, the results on the sensor on the work coffee have been astonishing with no other carb digested..
I take mine black now..
I know I should take mine black, but my quiet morning coffee with creamer is one of my favorite rituals. I'm very unhappy about finding out it is such a spike

• Hug
Reactions: MissMuffett

20sunshine20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, I'm just a weirdo that prefers the powdered creamer - always have. And real cream cools down my coffee too much for my liking.

Mike88

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be the coffee causing it. It’s not a calorie dependent mechanism. It’s to do with coffee/caffeine stimulating adrenaline release making the liver dump glucose. Even black decaf makes me blood glucose increase.

20sunshine20

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be the coffee causing it. It’s not a calorie dependent mechanism. It’s to do with coffee/caffeine stimulating adrenaline release making the liver dump glucose. Even black decaf makes me blood glucose increase.
I have heard of coffee raising blood sugar, but black coffee has little to no effect on me. The powdered creamer and it's corn syrup solids do, though.

Reactions: Mike88

LovePups

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the 0-sugar French Vanilla liquid. It is 1 gr carb per tablespoon.
I used to use it but found myself not feeling too good. Then I tried Splenda Creamer and felt much better. The problem is the zero sugar products use CORN SYRUP. Corn Syrup is a form of sugar for those who need to keep away from sugars.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve never thought to test my BG after drinking my morning coffee! I put non sweetened almond milk and a large dollop of double cream in it but considering DP it wouldn’t be a true reading of the coffee causing the spike.
Back before my enlightenment I used coffeemate and was really heavy handed with it :rolleyes: :eek: