searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
If I need time off for appointments should I be given the time off of can the company insist I use holiday.

My consultant has advised my to attend some T1 education so would the above apply to this as well?

For sick time (not had any yet) the company uses what they call the Bradford factor for scoring illness and possible disciplinary procedures. Can the company apply this to me?

Reasonable changes.. can this apply to uniform? If I work in a hot environment can I Request wearing something more breathable to reduce dehydration?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not UK so I will leave these answers to people that might know more about it.

I can tell you that you will get along better with your employer not to start demanding things unless you really need to. If they are being completely unaccommodating then it becomes time to start asking for certain rights. Be reasonable, don't overdo it and you will get along a lot better.

Like not wanting to wear a uniform, drinking more water would be the better solution. That's just me though, maybe someone else will say otherwise.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm not UK so I will leave these answers to people that might know more about it.

I can tell you that you will get along better with your employer not to start demanding things unless you really need to. If they are being completely unaccommodating then it becomes time to start asking for certain rights. Be reasonable, don't overdo it and you will get along a lot better.

Like not wanting to wear a uniform, drinking more water would be the better solution. That's just me though, maybe someone else will say otherwise.
The uniform is non breathable once you start sweating you are wringing wet and uncomfortable all day

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I need time off for appointments should I be given the time off of can the company insist I use holiday.

My consultant has advised my to attend some T1 education so would the above apply to this as well?

For sick time (not had any yet) the company uses what they call the Bradford factor for scoring illness and possible disciplinary procedures. Can the company apply this to me?

Reasonable changes.. can this apply to uniform? If I work in a hot environment can I Request wearing something more breathable to reduce dehydration?

For diabetes appointments your employer must give you reasonable time off, but they'd are not obliged to pay you in that time off. I'm not an HR person, or employment lawyer, but I would expect your T1 education would be covered by the same rule.

The company likely will apply the Bradford Scale to you, although some businesses may be a bit understanding if someone is, say, newly diagnosed.

The uniform thing, I imagine would depend on a number of factors, such as whether the uniform is just all part of the business's branding, or hygiene reasons, sat, a food environment, or protective, if dealing with hazards in any way, and I guess what your preferred adjustment would be. I doubt there is a definitive answer to that one, based on what you have told us.