Type 2 Wonky Test Strips?

MrMaster2k

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I am a little confused and am seeking some guidance here.

I have the Contour Next One meter with the associated test strips

This AM, I took my blood test and surprisingly it's spiked for some unknown reason

Yesterday AM when I took my test even if it was higher I was at 9.3 mmol/l, I had 1 whole cucumber for lunch and for dinner I had a chicken meal. I took my test last night and in the evening I went up to 9.9 mmol/l (before eating) - I forgot to test after my meal (This is all still new to me)

This morning I tested after having fasted and my levels are weird. I did 5 strips in the space of 2 minutes
12.5, 13.6, 13.7, 14.4, 14.3

Can bloods fluctuate that quickly or is my meter or test strips wonky?

Thanks for the help

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to this so someone can correct me if I am wrong, from what I've been told it can fluctuate around 0.5 , maybe if you're getting stressed about it that may be why it's going up? Going from 12.5 to 14.3 though that seems strange , where did you get strips ?

MrMaster2k

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new to this so someone can correct me if I am wrong, from what I've been told it can fluctuate around 0.5 , maybe if you're getting stressed about it that may be why it's going up? Going from 12.5 to 14.3 though that seems strange , where did you get strips ?

Hi Chris

The strips where given to my by my chemist Boots under a prescription. I have also checked - they are not expired.

Thanks

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
AFAIK the only way to validate the accuracy of a machine and its test strips is to use the control solution. I got a free Contour Next from their website back when I was diagnosed in December, but I haven’t used it as I found one with cheaper strips (and I self-fund). However I think I reached the conclusion that you need to phone them if you want a bottle of test solution. You could give it a try?

Reactions: MrMaster2k

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I am a little confused and am seeking some guidance here.

I have the Contour Next One meter with the associated test strips

This AM, I took my blood test and surprisingly it's spiked for some unknown reason

Yesterday AM when I took my test even if it was higher I was at 9.3 mmol/l, I had 1 whole cucumber for lunch and for dinner I had a chicken meal. I took my test last night and in the evening I went up to 9.9 mmol/l (before eating) - I forgot to test after my meal (This is all still new to me)

This morning I tested after having fasted and my levels are weird. I did 5 strips in the space of 2 minutes
12.5, 13.6, 13.7, 14.4, 14.3

Can bloods fluctuate that quickly or is my meter or test strips wonky?

Thanks for the help

Hi @MrMaster2k,

Blood glucose meters are rarely 100% on and readings are allowed to vary +/- 15%. So in your case, if your real blood sugars were in fact 13.5 mmol, meters van read from about 11.5 mmol to 15.5 mmol and still be in range.

The Contour Next meter, though expensive, has a pretty good rep for accuracy.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have 3 meters as a type 1 and occasionally test on all 3 at the same time as well as a Libre scan. None of them are the same. Range about 3mmols difference. All are solution tested. The differences you are talking about are negligible especially if not injecting insulin.

M

Member496333

The Contour Next meter, though expensive, has a pretty good rep for accuracy.

I have found the relative accuracy of the Next system (all of the meters) to be astonishing. Never seen a variation in repeated testing of more than 0.2mmol/L. Often no more than 0.1 and sometimes identical. Can’t comment on absolute accuracy but trends are more important than absolute numbers anyway, so relative accuracy is more important (to me).

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The contour next one has an accuracy of 8% according to the manufacturer and with the readings I have obtained from mine when I can afford the strips I can believe it.

Reactions: Robbity

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use a contour next one meter and I find that if I am feeling different from what the test is saying I do a control test and see what that comes up with and I have not had to do one yet and I have had the meter for a couple of years now and I order the control solution via Ascensia and that you get a years supply in one bottle and you just test with that if you have any questions with the test strips or meter and then you contact Ascensia for help after that if anything changes.
The only time I have had a problem is when my GP tried to change my meter for a cheap one and I asked if it was able to use with my phone and that stumped that and they left me on my contour next one meter and I have had no problems with it up to now.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can confirm the reliability and consistency of the standard Contour Next ( but not the Contour Next One) which I've used for over five and a half years. I've very occasionally had test strips that will regularly record slightly higher, and this has sometimes been to stress, illness or pain, and a very few times due to an unreliabe batch.

I used to be able to get free bottles of control solution when Bayer produced the Contour, but haven't actually tried since it was taken over by Ascensia.

M

Member496333

I can confirm the reliability and consistency of the standard Contour Next ( but not the Contour Next One)

I've used three separate models of Next meter, including a US unit when I lived there, and now the One. They have all been supremely repeatable and I swear by this system for that reason.

The strips are expensive but I currently buy them in 100-packs for about £25-27 on eBay, so not too bad if you shop around.