My Blood Sugars after walking the dog

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, fairly new to this diagnosed at New year; still unsure which type I am.

I am fairly inactive atm as I was out of work due to depression before I got diagnosed.

Woke up this morning to fairly high numbers for me at 7.5. I had a bowl of Cheerios and tested two hours later it shown at 7.9 so not a huge jump. I thought I would take the dog out and see if it affected my sugars, took him out for roughly 15 mins, I got home and tested at 4.7. Now I'm happy my numbers have come down but what if I would have been out for 30 mins or so?

Just to remind people when I left hospital they were treating me as type 1until they could confirm . I was on 8 units of Novorapid before meals and 10 units Lantus at night.

It's been changed for around 2 weeks now, they told me to stop Novorapid and just have Lantus before bed. My numbers haven't gone above 9 at any time.

Now I'm happy my numbers came down after the walk, but just wondering if I would have been out longer, could it have dropped below 4?

Thanks all.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I walk a lot and walking does make my blood sugars drop. I never go out without my meter, fast-acting carbs and a couple of 10g carb snacks at least.

However, I often find if I arrive home on 4.something I can often go up a bit if I wait and don't assume I'm about to hypo.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to point out 7.5 on waking is pretty good for someone without a definite diagnosis and insulin regime. As @Japes says, going low whilst out and about is par for the course and we just have to be prepared to adjust accordingly. Never go out of gate without full diabetes kit.