Regular moderate exercise log

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just trying to keep my momentum up. Today I went around the countryside near The Eden Project with the walking group. Total 5 miles today but most of that was the morning walk. Very hilly too which must be good for the big muscles.
7 min Hiit thing this evening. It’s 12 exercises of 30 seconds each with a very short few secs break in between them. Planks, push ups, squats, lunges, step ups etc

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I spent an hour in the gym following PT plan. Strength training, a bit of cardio and some core.
7 min workout tonight. Chose the ‘No Jumping’ option which made a nice change but my legs are aching now.
@Goonergal tell us ( me!) about your weights workout at the gym.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal tell us ( me!) about your weights workout at the gym.

Hadn’t quite made it here. The workout was a workshop aimed at teaching you to use free weights and put your own programme together. The trainer had told me it was light weights - don’t think she bargained for such a weak old woman!! Interesting but quite difficult - I was quite amazed that I even managed to get close to doing some of the exercises. It’s a 3 part workshop, so 2 more sessions on the next 2 Thursdays. And when I say free weights, I don’t mean the little dumbbells, it was great big bars with large round weights on the end!

Aside from that, on what I thought would be a largely sedentary day, managed to clock up 17.8k steps. Due in no small part to walking right past the building my meeting was in this morning and then wandering around in circles in the City thinking ‘I know it’s around here somewhere’!!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hadn’t quite made it here. The workout was a workshop aimed at teaching you to use free weights and put your own programme together. The trainer had told me it was light weights - don’t think she bargained for such a weak old woman!! Interesting but quite difficult - I was quite amazed that I even managed to get close to doing some of the exercises. It’s a 3 part workshop, so 2 more sessions on the next 2 Thursdays. And when I say free weights, I don’t mean the little dumbbells, it was great big bars with large round weights on the end!

Aside from that, on what I thought would be a largely sedentary day, managed to clock up 17.8k steps. Due in no small part to walking right past the building my meeting was in this morning and then wandering around in circles in the City thinking ‘I know it’s around here somewhere’!!

Blimey that sounds tough. I thought those big bars were just for proper weightlifters, not sure I’d lift a bar without the weights on! Well done for signing up though, weights are meant to be one of the best exercises for bg control aren’t they? And you won’t be causing problems with your Achilles.

Reactions: Goonergal

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Walking targets all tickety-boo for the year so far!

I seem to have acquired an extra afternoon's worth of supporting students in the workplace gym. Not that I'm going any structured workouts for myself but I do get to try out all the equipment with them especially if I'm encouraging some of the less active ones to have a go. Laughing at me "failing" to do something I know they can do if they try usually gets them going.

Then there's supporting those who go to the judo session and I now seem to be support person of choice for two different student groups in two different sessions. Again, I'm not joining in for myself but I do seem to be learning the moves as I go along.

Anyway, in a roundabout way, I'm trying to say I think the extra activity on those three afternoons is helping something, somewhere as I've had to lower my basal insulin since I started doing all that as I was hypoing unexpectedly as I was walking home from work those days.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walking targets all tickety-boo for the year so far!

I seem to have acquired an extra afternoon's worth of supporting students in the workplace gym. Not that I'm going any structured workouts for myself but I do get to try out all the equipment with them especially if I'm encouraging some of the less active ones to have a go. Laughing at me "failing" to do something I know they can do if they try usually gets them going.

Then there's supporting those who go to the judo session and I now seem to be support person of choice for two different student groups in two different sessions. Again, I'm not joining in for myself but I do seem to be learning the moves as I go along.

Anyway, in a roundabout way, I'm trying to say I think the extra activity on those three afternoons is helping something, somewhere as I've had to lower my basal insulin since I started doing all that as I was hypoing unexpectedly as I was walking home from work those days.

That’s great news Japes! Not the hypo-ing but the good effect the extra exercise is having.
You must be a very good support for the students.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally a proper walk. 5.2 miles at a decent pace to get to my morning meeting. Sun out, great views along the Thames and Achilles not complaining very much at all.

Challenge is to step things up without overdoing things. Eye on the prize in New York in early May.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good for you @Goonergal so glad you’ve managed a proper walk with no I’ll effects. Gently does it!
Today I had a 3 mile walk with Dennis in the glorious sunshine. V cold though. Step counter says I climbed 17 floors - there were some big hills.
7 min exercise this evening, a ‘butt workout’

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yippee! First post work walk of the year through my favourite park because it's still light enough.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another walk to work meeting this morning. About a mile shorter than yesterday. Will rest the next couple of days as Achilles just making itself known so best not to push. So good to be out and about though.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another gloriously sunny day. Went out with the walking group around 3 - 4 miles of hilly terrain.
Will do a 7 minute Hiit workout once dinner has settled. Maybe arms or core today.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Attempted a third walk of the week yesterday, but proved a step too far. Had to abort after about an hour or so as Achilles was twinging just a bit too often. Very disappointed as the sun had not long come out. Did manage to clock up just short of 14k steps, however. Today’s storm is proving the perfect excuse to rest, although a lot of spring cleaning has got done.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good job I'd declared a rest day - I need one on a number of counts. May go back to sleep for a bit soon, been ages since I had a day time nap.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh it’s so easy to get out of the habit of exercising, I’m so easily put off. New start x 36 or something similar - here goes.
1 hr fairly strenuous walk, v hilly, with walking group. Around 3.5 miles (and 13 floors)
This evening the 7 minute workout. Today was called No Jumping so lunges, squats, Spider-Man plank, side plank etc.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying out a bit more walking again this week. Very brisk 50 minute walk on Monday avoiding the rush hour tube after a meeting. Somehow ended up at 27.2k steps for the day.

Canal walk today, mostly more of a meander - 20.5k steps. Could feel the Achilles a bit, but nothing major.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed another longish walk yesterday - about 8 miles, then some pottering at the shops. Fitness has definitely suffered with the injury and need to build it back up.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some fitness trainers say that you should train harder and less than moderate and more often. What do you think about it?

Welcome to the forum and thread @leroy2NR

In answer to your question, I guess it very much depends what your exercise goals are. What are yours?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Gave the Achilles a bit of a test today with a 12 mile walk. Probably a couple of miles too long, but not overly sore now that I’m back home. Some heat and ice to come. 8 weeks to get myself to a place where 32 miles is possible.

Reactions: Japes