Ice Cream

Graham15792

Hello All. My mum had a fall and was admitted to A&E. She's T2, almost 84 years old. They seem to be vague about giving her the medication that she has been on for several years (a combination of Diabetes and blood pressure), and equally worryingly the meals seem to be completely unsuitable for diabetics (Frosted flakes, milk, orange juice and white toast this morning, white bread ham sandwich for lunch, and dinner was Chicken in a white sauce with mashed potatoes, cauliflower, with vanilla ice cream for dessert (Ingredients - Water, Sugar, Reconstituted milk solids...) - is this standard practice in the NHS or is this hospital in the not terribly good club?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Having been in similar situations with my own mother a few times in the past, one of the first things they do at the hospital is strip away previous medication and start over.

New doctors, new diagnosis, new meds!

When they discharged her, she was sent home with the new medication which the GP ignored and put her back on the meds she was using before hospitalization.

Very frustrating for all concerned.

As to the food, well you can find numerous threads about diabetes and hospital food in these forums, there's one thread running at the moment actually. Sadly, the level of general diabetes knowledge is woefully inadequate in many hospital wards and the NHS still generally prefers the 'eat well plate' as opposed to reduced carb meals.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hello All. My mum had a fall and was admitted to A&E. She's T2, almost 84 years old. They seem to be vague about giving her the medication that she has been on for several years (a combination of Diabetes and blood pressure), and equally worryingly the meals seem to be completely unsuitable for diabetics (Frosted flakes, milk, orange juice and white toast this morning, white bread ham sandwich for lunch, and dinner was Chicken in a white sauce with mashed potatoes, cauliflower, with vanilla ice cream for dessert (Ingredients - Water, Sugar, Reconstituted milk solids...) - is this standard practice in the NHS or is this hospital in the not terribly good club?

Standard practice here as well in Australia, I'd venture to say it's standard practice everywhere in general and shows the appalling ignorance on the subject of T2 treatment and diet.