Flu jab

lilybet

I was offered the flu jab last year and declined.
I have been type 2 since 2010 and fortunately don't have any other health issues. I work full time and never get a cold.
However, in January I fell victim to a strain of flu which left me in bed for 2 weeks, and necessitated a home visit from an emergency doctor.
If there had been a bed available in my local hospital, I would have been admitted, however it was swamped, so I was treated at home.
I have never felt so ill. Coughing to the point of exhaustion, no appetite, I didn't eat solid food for ten days. I needed antibiotics and the effects of the flu stayed with me or four weeks.
I wasn't alone in being so ill, many people in my area who had no underlying health problems fell victim too, and as someone who has never been ill, or had flu before, I was shocked at the impact that a virus could have on my body.
The good side was that I emerged from it all having lost a stone in weight, but it wasn't a weight loss programme that I would recommend!
So, although I have reservations about flu jabs, this year I will be having one when it is offered to me.
I dread to think how someone with other health issues along with diabetes would have coped.
I don't want to spend January being ill!
It is a judgement call and everyone is different, so talk it over with your GP and then make your decision.

smeatons

Gosh, I wasn't expecting so many responses - so thank you all!

I got my letter for my H1bac and liver function tests this week, so when I rang up to make an appointment I asked again about a date for the flu jab and thankfully they've sorted out a date I can make :)

regards,
David

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No ill effects from my pneumonia and flu jabs last Tuesday. hurray!

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Hopefully getting my flu jab within next week or two our surgery is never the quickest. Sometimes think I would quicker nipping to the boots and getting it done.

kmwa

Dislikes
olives, stilton, salt, anti social behaviour, the wifes ex husband, oops, he's dead now.
I was dx'd in Feb 1998. Prior to this and up until Jan 2007, I had only had flu once in 1987. I never got colds, hardly ever had to blow my nose lol. The whole family could have been down with colds and it never bothered me. Everytime my missis went to the doctors, he would ask if I was going in for a flu jab, I always declined.
Then in Jan 07, me and my missis both got the flu. My missis had it so bad she could hardly breathe and I called the doctor out to her, and while he was there, he gave me a checkup.
I had really bad chest pains every time I coughed. I had to try and wrap my arms around me and grip my chest to try and help the pain, it was really bad.
I tell you, I never want that again, and since then I have had a flu jab every year, and this years is this Sat 1st Oct :)

Kev

sugarmog

Can't remember when I last had proper flu but have had the jab for the past couple of years even though I had not yet been diagnosed as Type 2. I figured that as I got older the effects of catching it would become harder to cope with, and also a lot of my work is now in schools (one of my schools was shut after an outbreak of swine flu). Remember that when you have the jab you are not only helping to protect yourself but also those around you like children or elderly relatives, as it is quite possible to pass on the infection before you are really aware that you have it.

Unbeliever

I fully intend to have the jab although I expect it to affect me as it did last year. Flu- like symptoms for 3 days. Never had this reaction before but as his year.s has he same components as last year I can' see why it should not happen again.

I agree with all those who do it so as not to spread the disease and affec others.

I actually spent quite a long time trying to work out how to fit in all my various appointments
so that I could have the jab when it would not afffect my HBA1C and when he HBA1C resul would be back in time for me to be able to tell the hospital {eye clinic} the results on my necxt visit.
We had already been misinformed that the jab wouldn't be available till next month.

So, I go to the surgery make an appoinment for the HBA1C tomorrow and on the strength of hat make all the other appointments o fit in.
I have posted on the "How often do you have an HBA1C " thread about the failure of that initiative.
I think maybe I should stop trying to be cooperative and not mess them about and just behave like the sheep they expect me to be. I probably won't do this because I don't want to mess other patients about but I am sorely tempted.

I suppose joined-up thinking is out of fashion now.

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Feeling your pain seansmit! Had my jab yesterday and feeling pretty rough today! But I'm sure full-blown flu would be 10 times worse and I always continue to have my yearly vaccination! :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Why do we all have such different reactions? I had mine on Monday and never so much as a sore spot on my arm, let alone any symptoms. Mind you, our practice nurse is ace with a needle! :lol:

Genuine question, by the way - why do we all react differently?

Viv 8)

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I had mine this morning in my left arm which has reduced sensation following my stroke so I hardly felt it. Having had flu once when I thought I was going to die (and in fact on one dreadful day would have been happy to) with associated labrynthitis and almost 2 months off work, I have a flu jab every year - previously through work, but now because of my diabetes from the surgery. I never ever want to feel again like I felt when I had flu.

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
In response to your post Viv,it is funny how people react differently- I am considered by all who know me as very stoical but yet I have been completely out of action today and also do have a very swollen and sore arm. Its probably some difference in immune response. anyhow, the main thing to remember for everyone is to take flu seriously. It is a dangerous and potentially life threatening virus,so if you are offered a flu jab,please,please take it!!