Baking ingredients

stepBack

Hi, I'm a real novice with forums, but here goes. Since my other half was diagnosed Type 2, we've made some of the obvious changes to his diet which I tend to follow by default. Stopped or drastically reduced many favourites, wholemeal bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, some fruits. Generally speaking we were always pretty good on veg and salads. Much more inclined towards fish and poultry. So a lot of adjustments haven't been too difficult. However, baking cakey goods and pastry has been a steep learning curve. And don't shoot me down - there's a success story here as far as we're concerned, and the meter proves it.

At first, I tried hard to replicate cookies, buns/muffins and the like with almond flour and coconut flour, etc. The results were 'ok', but just mostly fell apart. I can't get my head around psyllium husk.

Getting to the point now, why is it that I don't see soya flour and wheat gluten in recipes? When I reminded myself how gluten works, I just thought it would be worth a try. And because he wasn't keen on the taste of almond flour or coconut flour, I thought of soya flour. So now I use a combination of almond flour, soya flour and wheat gluten in varying proportions. I found a low carb brownie recipe and have adapted it continuously until I now have a few repeatable baking recipes which are pretty low in carbs - usually about 2 grams per portion. The cake batters rise and stay risen, are light and moist and taste great if you're fancying cake and they're not all chocolate flavoured. I recently 'invented' a scone-type mix that I first made into individual savouries. Then I made a steak cobbler where I flavoured the scone mix with sage. It was great.

So, what am I missing? Why don't low carb recipes use soya flour and wheat gluten. Yes, I realise many people are gluten sensitive. And yes, some soya flour is not particularly low in carbs - but I buy one that is only 3 grams/100g. And, as I say, the blood glucose meter is our guide.

stepBack

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess many find wheat an issue even if not celiac or even formally intolerant. As for soya there’s the whole hormone disrupted thing that concerns many. Then add availability and cost.

Following responses with interest.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm a real novice with forums, but here goes. Since my other half was diagnosed Type 2, we've made some of the obvious changes to his diet which I tend to follow by default. Stopped or drastically reduced many favourites, wholemeal bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, some fruits. Generally speaking we were always pretty good on veg and salads. Much more inclined towards fish and poultry. So a lot of adjustments haven't been too difficult. However, baking cakey goods and pastry has been a steep learning curve. And don't shoot me down - there's a success story here as far as we're concerned, and the meter proves it.

At first, I tried hard to replicate cookies, buns/muffins and the like with almond flour and coconut flour, etc. The results were 'ok', but just mostly fell apart. I can't get my head around psyllium husk.

Getting to the point now, why is it that I don't see soya flour and wheat gluten in recipes? When I reminded myself how gluten works, I just thought it would be worth a try. And because he wasn't keen on the taste of almond flour or coconut flour, I thought of soya flour. So now I use a combination of almond flour, soya flour and wheat gluten in varying proportions. I found a low carb brownie recipe and have adapted it continuously until I now have a few repeatable baking recipes which are pretty low in carbs - usually about 2 grams per portion. The cake batters rise and stay risen, are light and moist and taste great if you're fancying cake and they're not all chocolate flavoured. I recently 'invented' a scone-type mix that I first made into individual savouries. Then I made a steak cobbler where I flavoured the scone mix with sage. It was great.

So, what am I missing? Why don't low carb recipes use soya flour and wheat gluten. Yes, I realise many people are gluten sensitive. And yes, some soya flour is not particularly low in carbs - but I buy one that is only 3 grams/100g. And, as I say, the blood glucose meter is our guide.

stepBack
I use a variation of this recipe to make bread. It is bread rather than cake but it does use Wheat Gluten and Soya Flour as the main ingredients.
https://lowcarbyum.com/gabis-low-carb-yeast-bread/

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t do soya so haven’t researched it much but I understand it is claimed to be an oestrogen disruptor. Possibly an advantage in menopause but otherwise a potential problem. Sorry can’t help much more but many on low carb forums seem to feel it’s an issue which might explain its lack of popularity

stepBack

I don’t do soya so haven’t researched it much but I understand it is claimed to be an oestrogen disruptor. Possibly an advantage in menopause but otherwise a potential problem. Sorry can’t help much more but many on low carb forums seem to feel it’s an issue which might explain its lack of popularity

Thanks for this.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It can be an issue, we are also seeing an increase in soya allergy and intolerance in the west.
Hiding it as edamame beans didn't help!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21175082

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no idea you could buy wheat gluten - thats a new one for me! I'd love to try some recipes for the more bread/cake like desserts. Is it necessary to combine it with the soya flour? What special properties does that contain in comparison to something like coconut flour for example?

I also find it a little weird that almond flour is always the default as I find hazelnut meal to be far better tasting for a lot of dishes (roasted hazelnuts are amazing) but I took it to be a US thing as I imagine almonds are more readily available/cheaper to them.

I have to say fathead dough was a bizarre find, I'd love to experiment a little more with that too...

Baking is a fascinating experiment when you are low carbing :D

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
looks like the google spyware is working, this popped up on my youtube feed :)