What really helped you?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I am sure that there must be many of you that have struggled with staying on course with diet/health when faced with a huge, unexpected crisis in your life.
This is me right now (and indeed over the past year)
I feel that I need somehow to kick start my brain into realising the potential harm I'm doing to my body, through my total lack of motivation, following tragic circumstances that have occurred in my life.
I know there is probably no 'one answer' to my question, but I just cannot seem to move forward, and feel there has to be something that someone can say, or share with me about what put them back on track.
Words can be a powerful motivator ... do you have any?

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect that you are completely overwhelmed by events and emotionally exhausted. Life’s crises come in many shapes and forms, and many people step up and take on the load, emotional and practical, of those around them as they struggle with their own devastating feelings. Being the strong daughter, wife, mother, sister, friend (or male equivalent) can be of the highest priority and often seems to be a thankless task. And it’s easy to subsume yourself in these circumstances.

All I can say is, the strength lies within you, you just need to take some time and regroup. Maybe make time for some little things, whatever gives you a bit of peace and pleasure, maybe a long bath, a walk, watching a bit of telly, listening to music - something you can resolve to enjoy without guilt for as long as it lasts. You have to be good to yourself too.

You already know the risks you face, you said so in your post, and I think you know what you need to do. Perhaps if you give yourself some more time and space to allow the solutions to take root and grow, then I have faith that you will address them. You have dealt with worse and come through, after all.

Best Wishes

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I suspect that you are completely overwhelmed by events and emotionally exhausted. Life’s crises come in many shapes and forms, and many people step up and take on the load, emotional and practical, of those around them as they struggle with their own devastating feelings. Being the strong daughter, wife, mother, sister, friend (or male equivalent) can be of the highest priority and often seems to be a thankless task. And it’s easy to subsume yourself in these circumstances.

All I can say is, the strength lies within you, you just need to take some time and regroup. Maybe make time for some little things, whatever gives you a bit of peace and pleasure, maybe a long bath, a walk, watching a bit of telly, listening to music - something you can resolve to enjoy without guilt for as long as it lasts. You have to be good to yourself too.

You already know the risks you face, you said so in your post, and I think you know what you need to do. Perhaps if you give yourself some more time and space to allow the solutions to take root and grow, then I have faith that you will address them. You have dealt with worse and come through, after all.

Best Wishes
Thank you TeddyTottie and you are right about my mental state, although I hate to admit when I need help.
Always having to be everyone else's support is draining, and most don't even see my low mood as I'm good at hiding it.
I do feel though, that if I can get back on track with my diabetes control, that it will strengthen me.
It's ridiculous to see this and yet be unable to do it :(

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am sure that there must be many of you that have struggled with staying on course with diet/health when faced with a huge, unexpected crisis in your life.
This is me right now (and indeed over the past year)
I feel that I need somehow to kick start my brain into realising the potential harm I'm doing to my body, through my total lack of motivation, following tragic circumstances that have occurred in my life.
I know there is probably no 'one answer' to my question, but I just cannot seem to move forward, and feel there has to be something that someone can say, or share with me about what put them back on track.
Words can be a powerful motivator ... do you have any?

Hi @coby

One of the 'tricks' diabetes has up its sleeve is to change your emotional state when your blood glucose levels are high. Many people become tired and lethargic, even depressed in some cases and subsequently don't manage their diabetes well, which of course means that glucose levels increase and you may end up in a downward spiral.

So whilst the unexpected crisis you describe may have been a trigger, it is important not to let things get on top you in the longer term. I know it's much easier to say than do (believe me) but keeping your blood glucose under control is key to more than just your phsyical health.

Best wishes
Urb'

mouseee

I think this might be a day at a time shift for you. That's what I have done when things have been stressful.
If you can't do the 'right' things one day, start fresh on it the next day.

I own stressful time has been dealing with a poorly mother in hospital with t2 related long term complications. That's enough for me to make better decisions even though I know they're perfect. I am doing things to avoid where she has ended up.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @coby

One of the 'tricks' diabetes has up its sleeve is to change your emotional state when your blood glucose levels are high. Many people become tired and lethargic, even depressed in some cases and subsequently don't manage their diabetes well, which of course means that glucose levels increase and you may end up in a downward spiral.

So whilst the unexpected crisis you describe may have been a trigger, it is important not to let things get on top you in the longer term. I know it's much easier to say than do (believe me) but keeping your blood glucose under control is key to more than just your phsyical health.

Best wishes
Urb'
Thank you Urb.
You know those dreams where you are trying to get to something or somewhere in front of you, but your legs won't move?
This is kinda the only way to describe life right now.
It's so frustrating when I was doing so well before all the tragedy and heartache.
I feel as if the only way forward is a brain transplant!

Reactions: urbanracer

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cutting some slack when slack is needed, and cutting carbs when there's slack enough. I mean, if you can't do low carb all the time due to emotional issues, don't beat yourself up, adding guilt to the whole thing as well.. You're carrying a heavy enough burden as it is. Just have something low carb as much as possible.... And if it's too much to ask, don't give yourself more grief over it. Eventually, the low carbing'll be more present than the slack-needing. Takes time. Give yourself some.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think this might be a day at a time shift for you. That's what I have done when things have been stressful.
If you can't do the 'right' things one day, start fresh on it the next day.

I own stressful time has been dealing with a poorly mother in hospital with t2 related long term complications. That's enough for me to make better decisions even though I know they're perfect. I am doing things to avoid where she has ended up.
mouseee, I have had three colossal shocks in my life, one after another in a short space of time, and have now had a fourth.
You question why all this is happening to you, then feel guilty for the arrogance of such a thought.
I am a quiet, unassuming person, who goes along with most things for an easy life, so this last shock has turned my life upside down so much that I am moving away from the area. One can only take so much, and only so much pain. It has reflected on my self care badly. I need to regain control but seem physically unable to find it within me.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cutting some slack when slack is needed, and cutting carbs when there's slack enough. I mean, if you can't do low carb all the time due to emotional issues, don't beat yourself up, adding guilt to the whole thing as well.. You're carrying a heavy enough burden as it is. Just have something low carb as much as possible.... And if it's too much to ask, don't give yourself more grief over it. Eventually, the low carbing'll be more present than the slack-needing. Takes time. Give yourself some.
JoKalsbeek you are so right. I think I need reassurance that I 'can' get back there eventually.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@coby you can get back to proper self care. Even if just to start it is having some nuts in your bag/pocket for snacks or saying no thanks when offered an unsuitable treat.
Baby steps when you feel strong enough.

Reactions: coby