COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think of 50% of people having flu at the same time, maybe 5% of the population needing medical care while 40% of the NHS staff are off sick. If that happens then the next year it will be no different to normal flu as enough people will already have had it to prevent it spreading fast.

So getting it is like getting flu, but many more people could get it in the same year all within a few weeks of each other.

i was being facetious about it being flu, as you know, right;)

in worry mode, i'd wonder if the virus has mutated, the strains in Italy and Iran seem more virulent, then previous :watching:
add in countries are now closing borders, and it's a different ball game.

i think on a side note, if i needed meds i'd be considering whether it might be sensible to get them in sooner,just in case.
just saying..:)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
strains in Italy and Iran seem more virulent

It is just as likely to be a difference in how many mild cases are recorded. Iran must have a lot more cases then they have admitted to knowing about. Italy seems to have no ideal what is going on yet, but have acted to slow it down while they investigate.

Reactions: DJC3 and Jack06

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is just as likely to be a difference in how many mild cases are recorded. Iran must have a lot more cases then they have admitted to knowing about. Italy seems to have no ideal what is going on yet, but have acted to slow it down while they investigate.

all good comments

i'd like to think we'd be better prepared
and if it comes we'll do exactly the same.

but Italy knew what we knew, Iran knew what we knew.

i'd agree the Iranians have no idea how many cases,
NK is being very hush hush,

in fact i do doubt that many are saying what the real numbers,
while they too investigate, trying to limit the damage to trust, investments and tourism
and then it's all too late.

( and if people are up to speed, the ONE place you don't want to be is at the epicentre.)

how many have fled before the borders got closed ?
how longs a bit of string, sadly

i hope your right, but the news and numbers do not inspire confidence.

But as diabetics we are, as said ealier very affected by the virus, as are many who have a lowered immune system or serious/chronic illnesses..throw in most T2's (i did say most ;)) are at the ahem, 'older' end of youthful, and again, that's showing up as an marker.

lets hope it all blows over and we just get on with our lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill_St

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was posted a number of days ago on another forum. It was written by a retired UK GP, living, long term, with T1, and to me, it speaks sense.

Whilst I don't not consider myself to be medically frail, or any more at risk than anyone living without diabetes, I am currently living in a country with 35 confirmed cases. My life hasn't skipped a beat thus far.

IMG_0334.jpg

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of info in this thread. Read with much interest. I feel in the next few days it will become very apparent exactly what we are dealing with. I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers @DCUKMod

Nice clear post.

Unsure myself, but have many doctors died while treating flu..?

Off to google

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of info in this thread. Read with much interest. I feel in the next few days it will become very apparent exactly what we are dealing with. I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best
Same here. Getting extra canned tuna and such, stocking up on tissues and paracetamol... Hope it'll just gather dust rather than be necessary. The Netherlands aren't doing anything at all yet, no preventative measures whatsoever, so I'll take my own.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
One of the first countries to jump on this was North Korea ... work that one out.

Australia is now taking a VERY aggressive approach to it. There are great advantages to being a sparsely populated island.

Reactions: HSSS

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. Getting extra canned tuna and such, stocking up on tissues and paracetamol... Hope it'll just gather dust rather than be necessary. The Netherlands aren't doing anything at all yet, no preventative measures whatsoever, so I'll take my own.
I'm stocking up the freezer. Buying lots of tins, eggs! Meds, toilet rolls!! And such. Latest here is anyone coming back from certain parts of Italy to self quarantine. It's going to get worse before it gets better. It's a pandemic in all but name in my opinion. I'm buying wallpaper n paint to give the house a makeover if I'm stuck in!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm stocking up the freezer. Buying lots of tins, eggs! Meds, toilet rolls!! And such. Latest here is anyone coming back from certain parts of Italy to self quarantine. It's going to get worse before it gets better. It's a pandemic in all but name in my opinion. I'm buying wallpaper n paint to give the house a makeover if I'm stuck in!
Yup, toilet rolls and the like here too... Thankfully cauliflower rice freezes well. ;) Here people seem to be a little too relaxed about it all. The government especially. Last month we finally booked our first proper vacation in almost a decade. To Venice, Italy, heading there in September. Timing... Just excellent. We'll see how that goes. (Or if we go, that is). Hopefully by then it'll have run its course, but you never know eh. (Or if my husband has cashed in on my life insurance by then!)

Wallpaper. Makeovers seem like an excellent idea, actually. ;)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, toilet rolls and the like here too... Thankfully cauliflower rice freezes well. ;) Here people seem to be a little too relaxed about it all. The government especially. Last month we finally booked our first proper vacation in almost a decade. To Venice, Italy, heading there in September. Timing... Just excellent. We'll see how that goes. (Or if we go, that is). Hopefully by then it'll have run its course, but you never know eh. (Or if my husband has cashed in on my life insurance by then!)

Wallpaper. Makeovers seem like an excellent idea, actually. ;)

We are booked on a cruise in July including Italy. Venice! Spain in March! Not sure we will get to go on either at this point. I've got a good insurance in place ;-)

Reactions: jjraak

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are booked on a cruise in July including Italy. Venice! Spain in March! Not sure we will get to go on either at this point. I've got a good insurance in place ;-)
I've been digging around about what's covered and such too... Yay for the Dutch habit of grossly over-insuring everything, all the time. :) I hope you can have your cruise without any problems. No-one wants to go through a Diamond Princess kind of situation!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been digging around about what's covered and such too... Yay for the Dutch habit of grossly over-insuring everything, all the time. :) I hope you can have your cruise without any problems. No-one wants to go through a Diamond Princess kind of situation!

i think Diamond Princess is going to be a text book lesson of how NOT to deal with a cruise ship in lock down.

It's almost like they kept people confined (very poor standard apparently) until they got sick, so sad.

We had the older couple reporting daily in the uk, son wanted action, by the time the UK finally decided to act they we're infected and whizzed off to a Japanese hospital, both now got pneumonia, so they say..he was T2D
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/22/brit...ive-coronavirus-diagnosed-pneumonia-12284026/

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i think Diamond Princess is going to be a text book lesson of how NOT to deal with a cruise ship in lock down.

It's almost like they kept people confined (very poor standard apparently) until they got sick, so sad.

We had the older couple reporting daily in the uk, son wanted action, by the time the UK finally decided to act they we're infected and whizzed off to a Japanese hospital, both now got pneumonia, so they say..he was T2D
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/22/brit...ive-coronavirus-diagnosed-pneumonia-12284026/
Considering that the term "plague ship" has existed for quite some time, you'd think they'd know what to do when hit eh...

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

It's almost like they kept people confined (very poor standard apparently) until they got sick, so sad

They did not seperate staff who were clearly ill from the staff who were vistings all the "locked down" passengers. All the staff were still living and eaten in the same rooms, hence making seperating passengers pointless.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I case anyone missed it I would recommend reading @DCUKMod 's post #24 before panicking.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not panicking, I just told my husband over breakfast I think I'm going to die this year. Quite calmly. :p He's probably thinking about how to spend the life insurance. I know there's a new Hammer Horror box coming out, and he's been eyeballing some Universal Horror Classic re-issues on bluray. With me out of the way he'd have no problem coughing those up. ;)
I wasn't addressing my comment to you, rather to anyone just coming to this thread.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I case anyone missed it I would recommend reading @DCUKMod 's post #24 before panicking.

Is that YOU, Cap't Mannering :wideyed:..:hilarious:

poor choice of words, me thinks
But Maybe we are just getting our news from completely different sources,

but i prefer, practical, realistic, pre cautionary
although Sleepwalking does come to mind.;)

I do take note of what was posted earlier, and in a sense they are right
But do we really believe the Chinese Never had flu seasons, and just panicked over this.?

...and the WHO and all the Gov't all drawing up plans to close borders, ban flights, quarantine people are also new to Flu.?

While some may say it's just Flu.
please do bear in mind we have had years of dealing with flu, we also spend a shed load on making vaccines and inoculating large swathes of society year after year..and as far as i am aware, their is no vaccine and even if there was one that might be a year or 2 years away..so for now we have little or no defence against this.

The death rates sound great..until it's someone in your neighbourhood,

Had to queue for petrol once during the tankers strikes here, wasn't a pleasant experience.
i doubt those in the quarantine zones or the shops etc, get much warning, and queuing among a
frightened populace won't be a nice experience either

probably the main concern,, outside of Covid-19....
IS If the shops empty inside your quarantine area, and they will...
have you given thought to how YOU will cope..?

maybe on a farm your lucky, in a big city, not so much.

I think those who take a moment, and think " i'll take some precautions, just in case" ..are right..
and if not needed, so what.....the food stored will get eaten at some point..
the products used eventually.

it's like the power cuts we had back in the 70's we prepared and and Hoped things were not needed
rather then fumbling around in the dark looking for some candles and matches

i hope all the authorities and governments are wrong..very wrong,
but part of my role IS to watch out for dangers for my family and myself.

and if you think that's panicking..fair play.

But for now i think i'll keep my insurance policy payments up,
Just in case what never happens ........Happens

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see things ate progressing by the hour and not in a good direction. All very worrying.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
in worry mode, i'd wonder if the virus has mutated, the strains in Italy and Iran seem more virulent, then previous :watching:
add in countries are now closing borders, and it's a different ball game.

It may be possible that it has become more virulent or simply that the data from China was opaque and did not reflect the reality on the ground.

With South Korea, Italy and Japan escalating numbers, we would likely get more verifiable data on the case fatality.

In any case, all cities that have paid any attention to this unfolding crisis over the past month would be well aware of how it can overwhelm any medical resources fairly quickly...