Which vitamin Supplements safe for diabetes 2 elderly ?

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am hoping for some advice . My mother us a slim 78 year old and always been active. Shes taking metformin for diabetes 2. Shes had this now for about 8 years. I am wondering about suggesting vitamin supplements to her as she is lately looking more tired and gets bad cramp in her thigh which is debilitating and has now caused her to limp . I read that magnesium helps with cramp. But i do not know if its ok for her as i dont know what strength etc or much about it.she likes to stay active and i want her to get her strength back. I havd seen other supplements like zinc vit b12 etc and so on and there are so many different ones she could take but could she overload on them if i bought too many different ones that individually are good for her but could they also cause a problem as in make her have any bad reactions or what? I want her to have some supplements/ vitamins to help her but not cause any health problems. also different strengths i really dont know. She is a bit more forgetful but very intelligent if there is anything i can do to help i will but should vitamin supplements be bypassed by a doctor rather than me buying them for her without a doctor okaying them? I know as she is 78 one could think its an age thing but its not for her. Its become more noticable of her leg limping a bit etc. Any suggestions please.!

D

Deleted member 308541

I take multi vitamin tablets, vitamin d capsules, betavit tablets on advice from my GP.

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take multi vitamin tablets, vitamin d capsules, betavit tablets on advice from my GP.

Hi thank you, thats interesting ive just read a bit on betavit and it is said to take on restrictive diets too and though my mum isnt on one as such she eats very little in meals and i think she eats too little overall. So maybe this would help. She wont ask a doctor which is a difficult one so i want to get her something but what. Everyones different so its worrying me if I get her something that has a side affect or she has a reaction to it. Thank you again .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin can cause problems with vitamin B12 uptake, so you might consider a supplement of that in addition to a general vitamin and mineral daily supplement.
I take one without iron, as I am eating more meat than the normal non diabetic and I am approaching 70 years old, so things naturally work more slowly, or so I am told.
The usual diet eaten by tpe twos, which is low in carb but has enough fat to compensate, is very nutritious, and I only need to eat twice a day as a result, so you mum is not necessarily undernourished. I must confess to taking only a couple of the multi stuff tablets a week but I eat all sorts of plants and the tablets are more to compensate for a general reduction in the soil rather than a lack in my diet.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You could get an appointment with her GP and get tested for vitamin/mineral deficiencies. That would be a good place to start I think, no point guessing what she might need and waste money on something not needed. B-complex is one I take. I don't see any harm in it. I'm sure you'll find some levels needing to boosted, like vitamin D for example. Worth asking for those relevant tests.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am hoping for some advice . My mother us a slim 78 year old and always been active. Shes taking metformin for diabetes 2. Shes had this now for about 8 years. I am wondering about suggesting vitamin supplements to her as she is lately looking more tired and gets bad cramp in her thigh which is debilitating and has now caused her to limp . I read that magnesium helps with cramp. But i do not know if its ok for her as i dont know what strength etc or much about it.she likes to stay active and i want her to get her strength back. I havd seen other supplements like zinc vit b12 etc and so on and there are so many different ones she could take but could she overload on them if i bought too many different ones that individually are good for her but could they also cause a problem as in make her have any bad reactions or what? I want her to have some supplements/ vitamins to help her but not cause any health problems. also different strengths i really dont know. She is a bit more forgetful but very intelligent if there is anything i can do to help i will but should vitamin supplements be bypassed by a doctor rather than me buying them for her without a doctor okaying them? I know as she is 78 one could think its an age thing but its not for her. Its become more noticable of her leg limping a bit etc. Any suggestions please.!

Swan, irrespective of age, I am never an advocate of taking supplements for the sake of it.

If your mother is not herself, and these cramps sound like she's struggling, it's time to ask for a decent blood panel from her doctor. As others have mentioned, some taking Metformin run into issues with low vitamin B12. Ideally, they'd be tested along the way, but it doesn't always happen. At this time of year, a very high percentage of folks in U.K., whether living with diabetes, or not, are low on Vitamin D, and that can wreak havoc in our day to day living.

If this were my Mum, I'd be. Asking for a full MOT blood panel, but including Vitamins, iron panel and minerals. That will likely guide your next steps.

I do hope you can get an insight into things, and a specific plan to move forward. The scattergun approach of a multi-via wouldn't be for me or those I care for.