Neonatal hypoglycaemia

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Second baby born yesterday and all seems well except for his blood sugars - he has been on a drip since yesterday. He is a big baby 8lb 9 born at 38 weeks.

My Hba1c started at around 6.3 in early pregnancy gradually dropping to 5.7 say from month 4 onwards when I got started on the Dexcom. I thought and was told by doctors that I was very well controlled so I am a bit devastated that this has happened and I am so worried about him as while his sugars are slowly coming back up he is still on the drip so the big test will be when he is weaned off the drip. Just wondering is there many of you with children who have gone through the same thing? Did everything work out ok in the end?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Lovinlife
No experience to share but wishing your family well and pushing your question up the list for visibility.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't know about a drip but both my kids were grabbed from me at birth and given a quick carby drink (milk?) to top up their low blood sugars. Didn't stop me from breast feeding. I understand your fear but wonder if this is just current medical practice (as opposed to 25 years ago). Can't see it being a long term issue but lots of virtual hugs while you're waiting to get your baby back.

Reactions: Antje77

jade88

I had excellent control with both my boys but both ended up in NCIU with low blood sugars both were fed by drip for 2 days then once sugars increased they were allowed back on ward - I was told it’s very common in diabetic babies - even with tight control and good hbac1 all diabetics have highs even if for only short periods of time and once baby is born and no longer affected by your blood sugars this can cause theirs to drop don’t worry hopefully you’ll have him back with you soon!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I know this is an old post but just thought I would see how your little one is getting on? Unfortunately this tends to be quite common with diabetes and birth. My now 2 year old son (3 in January) was in NICU for a while due to hypoglycaemia, I had great control throughout but sometimes it will just happen unfortunately and wish I was made aware of this in the beginning we many many appointments I had. He was placed on a drip also and had prolonged jaundice so was under a lamp, he was a good weight as he was born at 36 weeks 6 days due to calcified placenta and weighted 7lb 1oz and he's not had any issues since then. I am currently expecting my second and I'm hoping this doesn't not happen again. I hope all is well with you and your family

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Second baby born yesterday and all seems well except for his blood sugars - he has been on a drip since yesterday. He is a big baby 8lb 9 born at 38 weeks.

My Hba1c started at around 6.3 in early pregnancy gradually dropping to 5.7 say from month 4 onwards when I got started on the Dexcom. I thought and was told by doctors that I was very well controlled so I am a bit devastated that this has happened and I am so worried about him as while his sugars are slowly coming back up he is still on the drip so the big test will be when he is weaned off the drip. Just wondering is there many of you with children who have gone through the same thing? Did everything work out ok in the end?
Hello and I feel for you! My last baby was big for gestation at 34 weeks 81lb 3 and had a low blood sugar once he emerged. He had to have a drip and it made me weep to see them insert the needle into his tiny vein but yes all was fine eventually.
As I understand it your baby experiences your blood glucose levels and consequently has higher insulin levels than a non type 1 mum's baby hence the reason for being bigger than normal. When he or she isn't getting the excess glucose anymore but insulin levels haven't adjusted, they will go low.
HBA1c in pregnancy is hard to compare to normal hba1c due to the extra blood volume so I think there must always be a little bit of extra glucose going on in spite of our efforts and super high motivation to look after our babies when they are inside of us.
Best wishes in any case and in my case, my son is 12 now and the hypo issue only lasted a day and caused no apparent dammage.