Where am I going wrong?

mmackay20040

Looking for some help/advice/encouragement. I’m a 33 year old T1 mother of 4 young boys. Not massively overweight but would love to lose 1-1.5 stone. New year I started exercising (which I wasn’t previously) and have been doing so 5-7 nights a week since. Combination of walking 3 miles in the evening (once they’re all in bed!), going to the gym for cross trainer cardio etc and playing badminton. Haven’t made huge changes to my diet but when I weighed myself last, I’ve gained 2lb over the 6 weeks which is pretty disheartening to say the least. I’m averaging covering about 30 miles a week which I wasn’t doing before. Surely I should have at least lost 2lbs rather than gained? What am I doing wrong?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello any possibility that you may have gained muscle weight? I don’t think you are doing anything wrong. I haven’t lost weight, but with working and eating better, I look more lean and clothes definitely fit better.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

mmackay20040

I’m not sure. I’ve always had very muscly legs and I’m sure that the exercise is likely to be strengthening them but I’m not sure.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not sure. I’ve always had very muscly legs and I’m sure that the exercise is likely to be strengthening them but I’m not sure.
Don't go by your scales, go by the measuring tape. Muscles are heavier than fat, so who knows...

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My own understanding is - when it comes to weight loss (as in shrinking those fat cells) - it's about the food (and drink), not exercise. I don't advocate eating less, but changing what you are eating, first and foremost for we diabetics - lowering the carbs. Then find out what suits you best in the ways of eating stakes. Exercise is excellent for general health and fitness, and muscles growth, but nothing is going to happen to your fat deposits unless you change what you are eating, ie - it's the food (and drink).

Of course, exercise also 'mops up' excess glucose by funnelling it into our muscles - so, good for us too, for that.

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking for some help/advice/encouragement. I’m a 33 year old T1 mother of 4 young boys. Not massively overweight but would love to lose 1-1.5 stone. New year I started exercising (which I wasn’t previously) and have been doing so 5-7 nights a week since. Combination of walking 3 miles in the evening (once they’re all in bed!), going to the gym for cross trainer cardio etc and playing badminton. Haven’t made huge changes to my diet but when I weighed myself last, I’ve gained 2lb over the 6 weeks which is pretty disheartening to say the least. I’m averaging covering about 30 miles a week which I wasn’t doing before. Surely I should have at least lost 2lbs rather than gained? What am I doing wrong?

You said you "haven't made huge changes to your diet" - what diet do you do?

From my experience, I gain weight awfully fast when I eat more than my maximum carb-intake along with
high-fat foods!
That happened even when I exercised!

For me, a lot of carbs and fat together on the same day, will definitely do it!