What can I do with greek yogurt?

Ashteadlady

If I were you I would go for full fat live Greek yoghurt (Sainsbury's do a good one) and add some berries and toasted nuts and seeds(toasting the nuts dry in a frying pan brings out the flavour and makes them taste sweeter).You can use frozen mixed berries and thaw in the microwave or fresh. Raspberries, strawerries, blackberries or my favourite, blueberries. Dr Michael Mosley's Fast 800 Recipe Book has great recipes as does his 8 week blood sugar diet recipe book. I reversed my pre-diabetes by following his advice.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the US and use a grocery delivery service, so it cost me about $7 which, by the way, is much more expensive than flavored yogurts. The yogurt is 5% milkfat. It was hard to find. The majority of yogurts at the store were nonfat.s.
hi try adding cinnamon (natural ground cinnamon, not the flavoured sugar)
Do you have any Lidl or Aldi near you? I know that many US towns now have them. They are great for full fat lower carb yogurt, nuts,glad and seeds etc

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fortunately for me I love the taste of plain greek yoghurt, and I think any kind of sweetening actually makes it worse. So I found a very delicious 10%mf "Mediterranean" style yoghurt, and I have 6 500g containers in my fridge now. I am happy.

Reactions: surdoux

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi We are using the SKYR yogurt at the moment. I get it in Asda as it’s near me.
The 1kg pot is around £2 20 i think.
We make overnight oats with it or just on berries.
Put a good dollop on All bran or Muesli.
Also try Canderel. I sprinkle it in the overnight oats.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get higher fat content Greek yoghurt if you can - we get the 10% fat one from any supermarket.

If you cut sugar and carbs from fruit and root vegetables from your diet, your tastes will change very quickly. Things that you didn't think were sweet will taste VERY sweet.

I sometimes melt a square of dark chocolate and swirl it through some Greek yoghurt as a dessert.

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be fair, "my" chocolate was recently thrown out as it had been in the fridge so long, untouched after a once in a blue moon shaving onto berries with cream. I'm just not a sweet gal (in any sense of the phrase :) )

However, in choosing chocolate, Lindt do some nice dark ones, or even Lidl and Aldi. If you posted a thread for that, there'd usually be plenty resources.

If you were to have cheesy scrambled eggs, made in the microwave, I reckon there'd be very little danger of burning the house down.

In terms of cold stuff for breakfast though, I might go for savoury.

I'm overseas at the moment, so my diet is a little different. Instead of my beloved yoghurt, I'm on hard boiled egg salad.

I hard boil 6 eggs at a time, then store them in the fridge. On my salad elements I have mayo, with some Sriacha Sauce stirred through. You could replace the mayo with yoghurt.

Similarly, you could do the hard boiled eggs, chop them up, then season and use the yoghurt like you would mayo in an egg mayo. That could be eaten with a fork or spoon, perhaps even with some crispy precooked bacon, or cold sausage.

There's nothing in the foregoing that couldn't be prepared the night before, and stored in the fridge.

Precooked bacon could be from M&S or the like, although, in my view, their crispy bacon is best.

I looooove egg salad sandwiches. That's a great idea!

I've been experimenting with cooking bacon in the microwave. I burned a couple of pieces, lol, but I did get a couple of decent slices. Microwaved scrambled eggs I'm still working on.

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy mixed frozen berries, thaw them, to with Greek yogurt them a handful of low sugar/carb Granola. Delicious
Is the percentage being given the fat content?
If so then lidl's Milbona Greek style yoghurt is 10 percent fat, 3.2 percent carbohydrate.

I'm in the US. It seems like everything is low-fat here. I just found a 10 % fat yogurt brand and it doesn't deliver to my area.

Last edited:

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely an acquired taste, and don't give up! Keep trying, your palate will change and most importantly - NOT ALL YOGURTS ARE CREATED EQUAL!!! Try others, mine costs pence and comes in a bucket from Lidl, or the full fat one from Aldi is nice too

I can't wait until it does. Sugar is like crack to me!

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi try adding cinnamon (natural ground cinnamon, not the flavoured sugar)
Do you have any Lidl or Aldi near you? I know that many US towns now have them. They are great for full fat lower carb yogurt, nuts,glad and seeds etc

I just found one on Instacart that delivers to my house. Thank you!

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi We are using the SKYR yogurt at the moment. I get it in Asda as it’s near me.
The 1kg pot is around £2 20 i think.
We make overnight oats with it or just on berries.
Put a good dollop on All bran or Muesli.
Also try Canderel. I sprinkle it in the overnight oats.

Are oats OK on a LCHF diet? I have some KIND Almond Butter Whole Grain Clusters that I like eating, but I've been reticent to add them to it because of the carbs.

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

kmhb

I paid a lot of money for some unsweetened greek yogurt, and I can't find a way to make it edible. I tried adding fruit, but the strawberries I bought were sour and the bananas don't provide enough flavor to penetrate 5% greek yogurt. What can I make with this huge, expensive tub of yogurt?
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 English cucumber, peeled
16 oz (2 cups) Cold plain Greek yogurt (either full fat or fat free will work)
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1/3 cup chopped dill, fresh or frozen
1 1/2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (Juice of 1/2 lemon; please squeeze a real lemon)
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper

Reactions: EmmaorEva

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are oats OK on a LCHF diet? I have some KIND Almond Butter Whole Grain Clusters that I like eating, but I've been reticent to add them to it because of the carbs.
If you can find a level of addition which you can cope with without spiking then it could be OK - oats seem to be one of the things you need to test on yourself - for me, they were just not an option, like all other grains, legumes too - too high after eating.

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone! I have a ton of ideas now. Lately I've been using it as a sour cream substitute alongside my omelettes. And I tried it with Nutella too. I've also been working on just eating it plain and getting my palate acclimated to eating unsweetened yogurt. Wish me luck!

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nutrient values per 100g product

YOGURT 500g per unit bought FAT(g) CARB(g) PROT(g)
Tesco Finest Greek Yogurt 10.3 3.8 6.1
Tesco Finest 0% Fat Greek 0.2 6.0 9.8
Tesco Greek Style Yogurt 9.5 5.5 4.2
ASDA Greek Authentic yogurt 9.9 3.8 6.5
ASDA Greek Fatfree yogurt 0.1-0.4 5.5 9.3
ASDA Greek Style yogurt 9.4 4.9 5.1
Sainsbury's Authentic Greek 10.4 4.1 6.0
Sainsbury's Authentic Fat 0 0.1-0.4 6.0 9.9
Sainsbury's Greek Style Nat 9.2 5.3 4.1

Don't know about other brands or the yogurts at Morrisons, Waitrose...

I am attempting a 20g per day keto-diet with three meals
and two snacks: Breakfast, SNACK, Lunch, SNACK, Dinner
SNACK = Cream coffee: 1 tsp Nescafe + 3tbsp double cream
OR
100g Greek Yogurt
OR
50g Greek Yogurt + 50g raspberries/strawberries
Tesco Finest Greek Yogurt and ASDA Greek Authentic Yogurt are very good for this.

There are myriads of flavoured and sweetened yogurts some with fancy names like Wildlife Choobs, Munch Bunch and Petits Filous. Sweet, but not for my keto-diet.