Flight delays

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From this morning’s online neswpaper, a customer comment regarding cancellations and delays of flights to the UK out of Lanzarote due to the sandstorm:

‘He added: “I am type one diabetic and when I explained to a Tui rep that I will not have enough insulin for the next 24 hours, their response was that they would deal with it when it becomes an emergency.’

Fingers crossed he can get his insulin locally if necessary but it shows how easy a problem can start. I’ve always been paranoid about something like this happening and take probably way too many supplies.

Bill

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@rochari not to be a kill joy here BUT why did you only take the bare essentials with you for your insulin supplies? I always take at least twice as much as I need when I go on hols!

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@rochari not to be a kill joy here BUT why did you only take the bare essentials with you for your insulin supplies? I always take at least twice as much as I need when I go on hols!
Absolutley agree . T1 s cant afford to be lax

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@rochari is posting about a need report. He is not the person with limited insulin.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always take loads, when I went away for a week I took 2 vials of novorapid (enough for a month) plus 2 pens!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Clearly the traveller should have taken more supplies than he thought he would need and not having enough for the next '24 hours' is reckless in the extreme. This is a life saving medicine so who knows why he thought he could get away with that. He's foolhardy but the response from TUI is awful in my opinion, basically they have said 'Well we'll wait for you to go into a coma and then we'll help you'. That is wrong and I am sure they would have had access to medics.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like he packed the insulin in the hold bags not carryon

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

@rochari is posting about a need report. He is not the person with limited insulin.

OOOPS didnt read it properly

Apologies to you @rochari

Not a problem, porl69 and thank you, Diakat. Taking twice as many supplies on holiday is usually what I do too.

Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like he packed the insulin in the hold bags not carryon

Sounds more like not enough D supplies were taken for a contingency. Only enough for the duration of the holiday regarding usage during the time away.?

I normally take at least 20% surplus, (just incase.) & keep all meds with me whilst traveling..

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The report wasn't about me annliggins.

Bill
I got that ...neverthe less anyone on insulin cant afford to be blas'e about it .
I always take shed loads of stock and NEVER become seperated from my stuff .

D

Deleted member 308541

I normally take at least 20% surplus, (just incase.) & keep all meds with me whilst traveling..
Nothing to stop the T1 nipping into town to the nearest pharmacy and getting some either.

Or going to the medical centres most major airports have and ask for help.

I have been to Las Palmas and every thing there was open 24/7...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds more like not enough D supplies were taken for a contingency. Only enough for the duration of the holiday regarding usage during the time away.?

Indeed I misread it. I thought he was heading out not home.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a link to the story seeing as the OP did not supply one...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...torm-british-holidaymakers-stranded-airports/

Thanks for that, as we thought, he didn't take any extra supplies with him and got caught out, then expected TUI to take medical responsibility for his type 1. Sounds harsh but he should have known better, what if some of the insulin he did take got damaged or was ineffective in some way? I still think TUI's response was dismissive but sounds like the poster was not even prepared to accept it's down to him.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks for that, as we thought, he didn't take any extra supplies with him and got caught out, then expected TUI to take medical responsibility for his type 1. Sounds harsh but he should have known better, what if some of the insulin he did take got damaged or was ineffective in some way? I still think TUI's response was dismissive but sounds like the poster was not even prepared to accept it's down to him.

Totally agree and there is no where for me to leave a little note :hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: KK123

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing to stop the T1 nipping into town to the nearest pharmacy and getting some either.

Or going to the medical centres most major airports have and ask for help.

I have been to Las Palmas and every thing there was open 24/7...
Interesting. I'm non-insulin T2 and know little about procuring the stuff, but I didn't know you could just pop into any random pharmacy to get some. Without a prescription?