how old was you/r child wen they went onto a pump?

char nd jay

hey guys,

courtneys sugers are forever a problem our dsn said we could apply for a pump if we wanted i was wondering how old was your child when they got one? courtney is 2 and half and was dignosed in march this year and has has 2 hypo fits already :( her last hbs were 10.5 and befor that was 10.5

realy at are wits ends with her suger levels :(
char n jay

annettekp

Hi

My son Erland is 3 (June birthday) and has been on a pump for 6 weeks. He was diagnosed at 20 months. Now we've got the night time levels sorted (twice nightly checking was tough going) the pump is excellent. It's given us so much more flexibility and much steadier blood sugar levels.

I'm assuming that you already carb count as that is essential for a pump.

its not easy when they are so little.

Annette

serankine

My daughter was 4 when she went on to the pump. But we were lucky since we could trial the pump first to see how she/we got on.
I must say she loves it she hates having the canulas but thats only every 3 days.
Leah was always high when 1st diagnosed and this really helps.
We have found some fantastic pump belts from an american site which she loves.
But you have to feel happy with it, we have been on the pump now for about 6months still learning about it.Theres so much to it. But as long as she is happy with it thats all that matters since its her with the diabetes. Hope this helps.

char nd jay

hey thanks for your replays no we dont carb count our poor dsn is very streched and hasnt showen us much we'v not been told much we jst sorta figur things out our selfs we our at the clinic on 20th and have assked to see the diaticsion for the god no's how many times to sort out carb counting, bt courtney spends more time high then normal and out dsn said breifly we could go for the pump if we anted weather wed get it i duno bt my only worry is that she will pull the canual out ?

xx

serankine

My daughter pulls the canula out every now and then (when its in her leg and goes to the tiolet mainly) or when she is playing outside and she knocks it. We just have to redo it, although it is anoying but now she has had the pump/canulas for 6 months she is gettind used to it and she is more used to it so not so many accidents. Hope you get yourself / daughter sorted.
Do you use the carb and cals book we find it really useful we have 2 one at home and one in the car incase we eat out.
Good luck :)

katrinah

Kai was 7 when he went on the pump and will be 14 on Saturday. It is the best thing we ever did for him, diabetes related, but carb counting is key. It makes life much more flexible and manageable, especially when they are small and they get the childhood illnesses and stomach bugs. My biggy was always tummy bugs that little ones get. We alway have our main meal of the day in the evening and Kai would come home from school, seem absolutely fine then a couple of hours later start with it, and then you end up in the situation where you have this vomiting 5-year-old who feels understandably awful but can't understand why mummy and daddy are forcing him to eat sugar off a spoon because he's had this huge bolus of insulin inside him that now wants to send him hypo becaues its go no food to work on. With the pump, because it works without background insulin, you just reduce the basal rate, or take it off. Same for exercise. some people say they find as a T1 difficult to lose weight re increased exercise becaues they end up taking more snacks. with the pump you can simply reduce the rate.