low carb, high fat

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Could it be an electrolyte imbalance maybe?

This is a good point.

Electrolytes are probably the most ignored aspect of people getting into a LC or keto diet. They don't drink enough water and frequently don't use enough salt. The lack of salt used is obviously because we've all been told that it's something you should eat very little of, a bit like the advice on fat.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not done any studies on it, but i think what's happening is that the low carb diet is unmasking a magnesium deficiency (which I hypothesise is causative of atrial fibrillation) because it causes sodium wasting and the sequelae thereof.
Atrial fibrillation seems to be caused by a lack of potassium according to many sources including Stephen Phinney. It was one of the reasons someversions of keto diets got bad press in the 70's and is a real risk and can cause death. A moderate protein carnivore dieter needs to be aware of this. Phinney recommends daily bone broth and also lo-salt (a sodium chloride potasium chloride mix easily available in supermarkets) as options to supplement potassium at around 1g per day. Many excellent videos by him on YouTube. They are not woolley videos like Jason Fung's but clear and practical. Also useful article.
https://www.virtahealth.com/blog/potassium-sodium-ketogenic-diet

Last edited:
Reactions: Grannypat

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a good point.

Electrolytes are probably the most ignored aspect of people getting into a LC or keto diet. They don't drink enough water and frequently don't use enough salt. The lack of salt used is obviously because we've all been told that it's something you should eat very little of, a bit like the advice on fat.

And many LCHF who choose not to eat fruit loose out on potential potassium rich foods.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like Benjamin Bikman's advice re macronutrient balance:
Prioritise protein (especially as you get older)
Fill up on fat (this will come naturally packaged into the protein or in the cooking method)
Careful on the carbs
There is no evidence and never has been that eating more fat, or even more saturated fat, leads to more heart disease but we have all been made to be fat phobic. Smoking, drinking and having high blood glucose and insulin levels lead to heart disease and all of these are reversible.
I am not talking about eating fat bombs or necking bulletproof coffee all day long, just enjoying crispy bacon or the skin on chicken that give us lovely flavours and help make our vitamins work better.
I think it is practically impossible to eat low fat and low carb simultaneously without being hungry and miserable.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A well formulated low carb or ketogenic diet is not deficient in anything.

Good for people like Phinney (and many members on here) who constantly try to raise the issue of eating a well formulated version of whatever way of eating is chosen.

People launching into a new and different ways of eating without adequate research and ‘due diligence’ into the potential consequences often arrive here on the forum asking questions that are resolved by pointing them towards websites and information that teaches them how to create their own well formulated version of their chosen way of eating. There is masses of info out there, and every reputable website on the subject bangs on explaining the need for appropriate nutrition and food choices.

For vegans, this includes getting adequate protein and some vital supplements (and being aware of processed Frankenfoods)
For low carb/keto this includes getting adequate electrolytes (and being aware of processed Frankenfoods)
The same applies to every way of eating, and every reputable diet info website that I can recall.

The onus is always, ultimately, on the individual doing the necessary info gathering and taking responsibility for making sure they understand what they are doing, and getting all the nutrients they need.

I do not accept that Low Carbing (or any other way of eating) is to blame for nutrient deficiencies.
It is up to the individual to ensure that their chosen food intake provides them with all the nutrients they need.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If granny wouldn't recognise it ?
If it has more than 5 ingredient ?
answers on a postcard please !!!;)
Carol

Reactions: Flora123

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Even with the requisite electrolyte balance between sodium and potassium etc things can still happen.
Whilst on LCHF I was hospitalised with aterial fluttering and underwent atrial ablation. The electrocardiologist promised me that the ablation would put an end to any reoccurence. So he promised............and it happened again and again.
I dont eat fruit, and my blood analysis always shows in specification values for sodium,potassium calcium etc.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And many LCHF who choose not to eat fruit loose out on potential potassium rich foods.

Errm...I think not! Many vegetables that are part of our standard LCHF diets are potassium rich, e.g.:
  • Spinach
  • Various types of Mushroom
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Courgettes/Zucchini
  • Broccoli
  • Asparagus
  • Fennel
  • Avocados
  • Tomatoes
So, you don't have to eat any fruit, says me, a great fruit lover...(Though tomatoes, courgettes and avocados are probably technically fruits)

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Errm...I think not! Many vegetables that are part of our standard LCHF diets are potassium rich, e.g.:
  • Spinach
  • Various types of Mushroom
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Courgettes/Zucchini
  • Broccoli
  • Asparagus
  • Fennel
  • Avocados
  • Tomatoes
So, you don't have to eat any fruit, says me, a great fruit lover...(Though tomatoes, courgettes and avocados are probably technically fruits)

I’m not doubting, just saying it’s important if you don’t eat fruit, starchy vegetables dried peas and beans which are undoubtedly potassium rich, to ensure your eating from sufficient potassium rich alternatives. If we are to maintain adequate electrolyte levels. As was suggested that LCHF may lead some to electrolyte imbalance in previous posts.

Last edited:

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Hi All
I am of the view that a low carb diet is necessary for beating type 2 diabetes. I also believe that a low fat diet is also necessary, though many would disagree.
But what I don't understand about low carb diets is that many of them come with a high fat content.
Diabetes control aside, that to me seems strange. All cardio-vascular hospital consultants are very emphatic in their view that a low fat diet is best for avoiding clogged arteries, strokes, heart attacks and other vascular conditions. It seems to me that even if a low carb high fat diet can help you control your diet, it will be injuring cardio-vascular system ... so why do so many on this website recomment a high fat diet?
I must agree, I followed the low carb high fat diet, adding cream and butter seemed to make me feel fuller, I reduced my meal size and lost 7 stone, this lowered my bloods to pre diabetic levels, I thought that on occasions I was getting acid burn, on the 12th November 2019, I was walking from my car to my home, the heart burn returned, by the time I reached my front door it felt like someone had drilled a hole from my chest through to my spine and were pouring acid into the hole, a pain spread down my right arm, and to the right of my neck. I dialled 999 2 hours later I was in hospital, it was like electric shocks were convulsing my body, when it became available I was taken to a Cath lab, they discovered that the left artery in my heart was blocked and my right artery had blockages, it took 3 hours to fit two stents into my left artery, the right is being treated with medication.
I have been told to remove fat from my diet, or the stents will block as will my right artery.
I have continued the low carbohydrate diet, without the high fat, due to the heart attack, and hospital food, my sugars nearly tripled, it took time, but my sugars are now dropping back to my pre heart attack levels. Low carb eating is not a diet to me, it has become my way of life, I eat well, and do not need high fat to feel full. I hope this reply helps.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
I am of the view that a low carb diet is necessary for beating type 2 diabetes. I also believe that a low fat diet is also necessary, though many would disagree.
But what I don't understand about low carb diets is that many of them come with a high fat content.
Diabetes control aside, that to me seems strange. All cardio-vascular hospital consultants are very emphatic in their view that a low fat diet is best for avoiding clogged arteries, strokes, heart attacks and other vascular conditions. It seems to me that even if a low carb high fat diet can help you control your diet, it will be injuring cardio-vascular system ... so why do so many on this website recomment a high fat diet?

The advice that fat causes heart attacks and strokes has never been proven - despite all the effort. In fact the obesity crisis started around the same time when the advice for low fat became standard.

I've recently read the book "The Diabetes Code" by Jason Fung. I've also watched a few of his youtube lectures. And it makes sense. It’s all based on science. Here is a short summary.
– Calories are not all equal. Our metabolism is driven by hormones which regulate hunger and base metabolic rate (BMR). Eating less of the same does not work. it lowers your BMR and leaves you hungry. This is why most diets fail.
– Sugar/carbs is converted into fat in your liver. If you eat too much of it, this makes you fat and causes diabetes.
– Eating too much sugar/carbs leads to too much insulin in your body (Hyperinsulinemia) and insulin resistance which causes diabetes.
– Fat is actually good for you. All studies trying to prove link between butter and cardiovascular disease failed.
– Guidelines to eat low-fat led to sugar being added (for flavour) to almost every food (even bacon). This is likely a main cause of the huge increase in obesity and diabetes.
– Medication lowering your blood sugar levels do exactly that – they lower your blood sugar, but your diabetes gets worse.
– Diabetes type 2 is a dietary disease, so needs to (can) be overcome by changing diet. Sugar/carbs must be reduced or temporarily removed.
– Intermittent fasting works! Evolution has taught our bodies to burn fat when we don’t eat.

Edit: - added type 2 in 3rd line from bottom. Thanks TopHat1900 for pointing this out.

Last edited: