Accuchek Aviva Expert discontinued

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for the long ramble but I am looking for advice: My meter has been playing up for sometime by intermittently refusing to waken up when either switched on or a test strip inserted usually when I'm out and about! My DSN gave me a replacement which does exactly the same thing. I can solve the problem by taking the batteries out, putting them back in different order and wiggling them about. This is ridiculous so eventually I rang the Roche helpline where a helpful techie verbally gives me a very long list of reboot instructions and tells me I should be carrying a back-up meter with me at all times anyway. Now my DSN tells me the Expert meter is discontinued and the next time I see her we'll talk about the new version which will need to talk to my phone. This is a concern for me as I'm a teensy bit of a technophobe so thoughts and advice would be much appreciated, in particular if there's any particular smart phone which would be recommended as I suspect I will need a new one of these also.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Sorry for the long ramble but I am looking for advice: My meter has been playing up for sometime by intermittently refusing to waken up when either switched on or a test strip inserted usually when I'm out and about! My DSN gave me a replacement which does exactly the same thing. I can solve the problem by taking the batteries out, putting them back in different order and wiggling them about. This is ridiculous so eventually I rang the Roche helpline where a helpful techie verbally gives me a very long list of reboot instructions and tells me I should be carrying a back-up meter with me at all times anyway. Now my DSN tells me the Expert meter is discontinued and the next time I see her we'll talk about the new version which will need to talk to my phone. This is a concern for me as I'm a teensy bit of a technophobe so thoughts and advice would be much appreciated, in particular if there's any particular smart phone which would be recommended as I suspect I will need a new one of these also.
Just rang rosche and the replacement is not half as good needing an app on phone just adding to difficulties in my view so why in the world would they change from something as good as the expert with all things on board to a lesser meter and phone option unless of course they will make more money from cartriges rather than strips, personally I am searching for another option so anyone finding one let us know please

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Phone Roche ask for a replacement expert the sent me one only a month ago

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Just rang rosche and the replacement is not half as good needing an app on phone just adding to difficulties in my view so why in the world would they change from something as good as the expert with all things on board to a lesser meter and phone option unless of course they will make more money from cartriges rather than strips, personally I am searching for another option so anyone finding one let us know please
Agreed - My view entirely. My DSN told me the alternative meter uses the same strips. Seems like unecessary hassle having to use the phone as well. Not sure how this is going to work in environments where phones are not allowed or there is no signal.

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Phone Roche ask for a replacement expert the sent me one only a month ago
Wow - you must have struck lucky! I was put through to a impatient Tech Support person who refused to send a replacement and gave me the long rigmarole reboot instructions.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Agreed - My view entirely. My DSN told me the alternative meter uses the same strips. Seems like unecessary hassle having to use the phone as well. Not sure how this is going to work in environments where phones are not allowed or there is no signal.
Told me today the replacement uses cartridges not aviva strips and boy are they dear to buy